Images
    Country
    Singapore

Lighting timing vs plant growth

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I'm wondering if there is any differences between turning on & off the light at different timing. To simplify discussion, assuming that the lighting is turned on for 12 hours a day. Will turning on the light from 7AM-7PM yields different result from turning on the light from 10AM-10PM?
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nope...i doubt there will be difference
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Timings

However to prevent algae growth, i was taught the method of "ON" for 4-5 hrs, then "OFF" for 4-5hrs then "ON" again... Well i switched to this timing schedule seems to have reduce algae growth.

From some reading up, i realise it was due to EXCESS nutrients/lights that promote algae growth.

Juz my 2 cents worth...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The algae did not come from the excess inorganic nutrients that we are dosing but rather nitrogen in the form of NH4 from fish waste as well as lack of CO2. If you keep up with the CO2 dosing, you do not need the siesta for the plants (They take some time to get up and cranking and doing the siesta somehow breaks the momentum in my opinion).

Focus on how to get the plants growing and not ways to kill algae would get you further in the hobby. You didn't get into this hobby just to kill algae do you? When the plants grow well, you get minimal or no algae issues.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter

Holding CO2 constant, then does it matter whether there is a break between lighting period.

Currently, i have my lights on from 11am to 3pm, 7pm to 12 pm. But exactly what you say, i feel that the plants kind of take a rest when there is a break in between lighting....
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You don't need the break if the CO2 is good.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee View Post
    The algae did not come from the excess inorganic nutrients that we are dosing but rather nitrogen in the form of NH4 from fish waste as well as lack of CO2.
    Hi Peter, thanks for pointing out this important point.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee View Post
    You don't need the break if the CO2 is good.
    I gathered from articles that good CO2 is around 20-30PPM. My question is how do one tell there is how much ppm of CO2 in the tank? Is there any testing kit that is able to tell me so? Sorry, I'm very new in testing. The only kit I have is the pH paper.

Or do I use the pH-KH chart & control both KH & pH to achieve the desired level of CO2? I still have a long way to go..... Hope fellow forumers don't mind to advise or refer me to the relevant articles already published on how to obtain & control CO2 concentration in a tank. Thanks.
    Last edited by uklau; 4th Nov 2006 at 20:47.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Based on my observation on my tiger lotus, I noticed that plants have the ability to tell day from night, regardless of whether the lights are on or off. I started this thread due to the conclusion I draw from my observations. I'll take some photos of it & share with you guys soon.

Thanks for your active participations, bro & sis.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by uklau View Post
    I gathered from articles that good CO2 is around 20-30PPM. My question is how do one tell there is how much ppm of CO2 in the tank? Is there any testing kit that is able to tell me so? Sorry, I'm very new in testing. The only kit I have is the pH paper.

Or do I use the pH-KH chart & control both KH & pH to achieve the desired level of CO2? I still have a long way to go..... Hope fellow forumers don't mind to advise or refer me to the relevant articles already published on how to obtain & control CO2 concentration in a tank. Thanks.
    You need a KH test kit along with the pH testing device that you are using. I would rather get a narrow range pH test kit or a pH test pen to get a better idea of where exactly my CO2 level is. (It can be off a tad due to alot of other influences.)

You do not adjust the pH and KH readings to get that actual amount of CO2 in the water but rather, you add more or less CO2 to control the exact amount. Make sense? Plants want the CO2 and not some pH or KH reading. The readings are just test results used to find the amount of CO2 and that's it.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for sharing your valuable experiences, Peter.

I couldn't take a good picture of my tiger lotus with my handphone. While waiting for me to get a better digicam, let me explain in words what I observed.

Regardless of whether the light (&CO2) is on or off, I noticed that during:
    a) day time (after around 7:30AM onwards) - all the leaves are in horizontal position (parallel to the substrate).
    b) night time (after around 7:00PM onwards) - all the leaves are in vertical position (perpendicular to the substrate).

Although my tank is facing the windows, it is not getting any direct sunlight. The tiger lotus had been behaving this way since I first planted it about 4 months ago. The only thing I can think of is the plant has the capability to determine day from night, without being influence by the artificial lighting.

Anyone out there is also experincing this with your tiger lotus?
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I only know that the flower will open according to the natural light cycle regardless of my lighting cycle. It will start to open around 0700 and starts to close around 1700hrs.
    Danny Chng

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    When the plant had enough for the day, it will "close" up like what you are seeing. You can always change the light timing to the one that you like but do give the plants some time to acclimatise to the new timing.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Dont siesta or change "day" into "night" if your tank is somewhat hit by sunlight, even indirect one. The problem is algae can make use of that small amount of light, while plants cannot (as plants are much more complex creature and has requirement minimal light treshold to start photosynthesis). This way algae is given advantage in terms of growth duration.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    in other words, plants "sleep" too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Will there be any difference if we have continuous lighting for 10 hours as compared to continuous lighting for 12 hours ?

Would it be alright if part of the continuous 12 hours is in the evenings (say from 1900 hours to 2330 hours) ?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It will be alright if the lighting period is at night. Mine is from 1pm till 11pm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Paperman, the different in the lighting duration will be more towards algae growth, if the nutrient is not balanced.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by uklau View Post
    Paperman, the different in the lighting duration will be more towards algae growth, if the nutrient is not balanced.
    Thank you, uklau. If I can manage to balance the nutrients, can I cut down the lightings to 6 or 8 hours ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Paperman, imho 6 hours is a bit too little (depending on the types of plants you have). You can try it out for 2 weeks & your plants will tell you whether that's sufficient or not. There is no hard rules on this. Plant growth is the best indicator.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau