Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Question Balloon mollies

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi i juz saw these balloon mollies at a LFS. so im just curious what is the difference between the normal type of mollies and the balloon mollies other than the fat belly the balloon mollies has.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    they are an artificially bred strain of molly (Poecilia sp.) which some people find 'cute.' Unfortunately the balloon belly is the result of gross deformities (spinal compression) and the fish has more difficulty swimming compared to normal body mollies. When normal shaped fish are available and arguably more attractive and vigorous, I don't see any reason to support such practices.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Please don't support supply source by buying these fishes. I totally agree with Budak.

Imagine in the future one day we go to LFS and see ballon tetra, barbs, Apistos, catfishes, rainbowfishes etc... and they say the normal ones are hard to get because nobody wants them. ( People like cutie fishes )

I even saw a BALLON ARROWANA few months back and they say it's a rare specimen cost $XXX,XXX. or literally unavailable for sale because it's one of it's kind.

So what's next?

We'll see 2 Ballons fishes when competition hots up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Exclamation

i still prefer the normal type of mollies.. but really the balloon mollies are kind of cute.. but what really disgust me is the weird species of arowanas i saw at qian hu.. they have a very arch back!! is this natural or just another artificial breed.. poor thing sia the hunch back arowana
    Last edited by Justikanz; 6th Nov 2006 at 10:42.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw it too. Very disgusted.

Maybe they should put it to peace if it is suffering.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe they will start taking out tattoing them with dye or chopping off their tails. Oh wait, they already have.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I spoke to one LFS owner when I saw he had a tank of balloon boesmanis which hardly moved. He said there wasn't much choice in the manner as some big farms like the one listed, 'pressure' them to take in the stock.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah, just saw a stunted albino tetra at a LFS with curved spine swmming pathetically around, the stomach was also distented too. Fortunately, it was the only piece.