Country
    India

Queries regarding Fish compatibility

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

There are some queries on which I seek assistance from you all. To give you a brief
    I have been keeping fishes for a long time (for about 20-25 yrs) and have been relatively succesful with some breeding stints.
    Currently for the past four years I have a single 340 ltr (90 gallons) tank. In which there were
    seven pairs of Discus(3- 6 inches),
    three Black Ghosts (6-10 inches),
    two clown loaches (5 inches each) & four clown loaches (inch each),
    two peacock eels (4 inches long),
    four cuile loaches (one and half inch)
    I have recently on 24th of Oct started setting up a planted tank set up, with substrate, Co injections (kept on for 12 hrs), nine 36 watts CFL tubes (Five kept on for 8 hrs and the remaining on for 12 hrs)etc.
    I have planted about 22 odd varieties of plants and they all seem to be growing and doing photosythesis too. There are cloudiness related issues which I have posted in the other forum.
    Recently due to the intial outbreak of diatom algae I introduced small transperent shrimps in the planted tank about four days back. (They did a great job in eliminating the algae and I have started to love them and find them very helpful in cleaning the tank) I also added two siamese algae eaters yesterday and plan to put another 4-6 siamese algae eaters in this tank. My queries related to fishe compatibility are
    a)Since the peacock eels will dig into the substrate, I will not put them in to this tank. is that a good idea? Shud I resist adding culie loaches too? or can i safetly add them?
    b) Wud the Black Ghost, Discus or clown loach eat the shrimps? or can i safetly put them without any problems? in the past I never had any problems with the black ghost being aggressive with other fishes.I am also planning to add a lot of hiding places like PVC pipes (as in the past). Moreover the tank is already quite densly populated.
    c) Shud I also resist adding the two 5" Clown loaches for the fear of them uprooting the plants in search for snails?

I have tried giving as much details as possible, would be very greatful if all of you professionals in the field of aquascaping would assist me in my queries or any expriences that you feel would assist me here in India.
    In advance let me acknowledge that I greatly appreciate all your comments and advice.

Thank You

Avijit Sen
    Mumbai- India

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the shrimps are yamato shrimps, they are good at cleaning algae till they get very big and they will start getting lazy with the cleaning and head for the fish food.

I am not sure about the peacock eels compatibility, as I have little knowledge or experience with them.

For the snail problem, the khuli loaches will the job just fine if the snails are small, you can pick out the big ones with a pair of tweezers I would not recommend keeping your clown loaches as they can get very big.

I keep the discus and the black ghosts, but I am biased here as I really appreciate their gracefulness and they look good in a planted tank.

In all, I think all the species are compatible with the shrimps, with the exception of the eels as I have little understanding of them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have a black ghost thats 6 - 7 inch long in my 2 feet tank and it was a deadly shrimp killer. I usually add in one small bag of feeder shrimps for my black ghost to hunt.

I suspect that it killed 3 of my kuhli loach and thus removed it to a seperate tank.
    Mark