Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Cut down on BPS when using a internal CO2 diffuser?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cut down on BPS when using a internal CO2 diffuser?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I bought a internal co2 disffuser (cylinder with balls type) in my tank. Previously i was using the glass diffuser and my CO2 was at 1bps. Should i cut down on the bps to say 0.5bps since there is a disffuser to better mix the water?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would say no.
    But it would be useful if you can provide more information, your tank size for one, would be vital information for others to advise accordingly.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bossteck View Post
    I would say no.
    But it would be useful if you can provide more information, your tank size for one, would be vital information for others to advise accordingly.
    Oh. Sorrie. I am having 2ft tank with 1x55W+2x36W light, growing plants that needs mid to high lighting. Fertilization using PMMD every 2 days with micro in-between days.

Last night, i had cut down the bps to about 0.5 bps and today it seems that the plants are still pearling. Wondering is that the correct way of doing as previously using glass diffuser, think majority of the co2 escapes.

Anyone reduce the bps using internal co2 diffuser (bio-ball type)? Thinking that with the internal diffuser, since it can mix the co2 with water much better, we can reduce the bps right. Then can cut down on the re-filling of co2.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What's the height of your tank?

I'd not reduce for the time being, just in case. A reactor and diffusor works differently to dissolve CO2 and I wouldn't want BBA to come just because I changed a method of dissolution.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee| View Post

I'd not reduce for the time being, just in case. A reactor and diffusor works differently to dissolve CO2 and I wouldn't want BBA to come just because I changed a method of dissolution.
    Height is about 1.5ft.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee| View Post

Care to share what u meant by "A reactor and diffusor works differently to dissolve CO2..." I would thought that either method is just a way to dissolve the co2 in the water. What is the diff between them?

I would always thought that the glass diffusor wastes more co2 than the reactor due to the trapped co2 able to better intereact with the water.

Any comments, pls. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by taysh75 View Post
    Height is about 1.5ft.
    Standard 2ft tank? That's alot of light!

A diffusor wastes lots more CO2 yes, but I wouldn't decrease the bubble rate because I have changed to a reactor. Reactors force saturate the water with CO2, compared to diffusors that rely on diffusion of the bubbles. There are many different conditions like time for CO2 saturation to occur, gas buildup in the reactor etc. Therefore I'm suggesting that the bubble rate not be changed, at least not drastically, to prevent complications and BBA that can arise from fluctuating CO2 levels/insufficient CO2.

But yes you are right that a reactor does not waste CO2 as much as a diffusor.

BTW my "reactor" refers to your "internal CO2 diffuser", and my "diffusor" refers to your "glass diffuser"