Thread: Just started

Feedback Score

Just started

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello guys,

1.I have a double fl hood lamp for my 2 feet tank which I'd just set up an hour ago...putting it thru the cycle now. One fl is white and the other is pink.
    I intend to set up a reef tank therefore would this be sufficient or do I need to change the fluorescent bulbs. Is those blue coloured ones....a------ (sorry can't spell it) necessary?

2.Is the Macro protein skimmer similiar to the Orca brand and wat is the cost. Can it be used as a hang on type? I am looking for budget skimmer.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    firstly, ws, welcome to the darkside.. and on behalf of all the moderators in AQ, welcome to aquaticquotient.. ok.. now to problem proper..

1.I have a double fl hood lamp for my 2 feet tank which I'd just set up an hour ago...putting it thru the cycle now.
    may i know what u using to cycle the tank? what filtration system? canister, sump?? but i dun recommend UGF(aka underground filter) do take note of the cycling period.. it is abt 28 days if u are starting from scratch.. try to get some fish to help to kick start the cycling period.. or get some filtration media or used gravel from lfs or aquarists.. will shorten the cycling period

One fl is white and the other is pink.
    I intend to set up a reef tank therefore would this be sufficient or do I need to change the fluorescent bulbs. Is those blue coloured ones....a------ (sorry can't spell it) necessary?
    firstly, if u want to use FL and keep reef, go for interpet or arcadia marine white and blue moon (actinic).. marine white is abt 9500k..
    those normal ones cannot make it due to the amt of kelvins they they give out..they are available at petmart.. abt $30 each...dun really know the prices for 2ft..

2.Is the Macro protein skimmer similiar to the Orca brand and wat is the cost. Can it be used as a hang on type? I am looking for budget skimmer.
    Orca is using air bubbles diffused from the wooden airstone to catch all the protein into the container.. while macro is using powerhead to drive up a cyclone within its body to collect the protein into the waste collector.. and yes it can be used as a hang-on filter but u may need to do up some piping work.. price wise is ard $100 if i'm not wrong.. ORCA is very cheap.. approximately abt $50 for both a airpump and protein skimmer will do for your 2ft.. but it takes up valuable space inside the tank
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.