Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Can plants survive 1 week of no co2 and lighting ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Exclamation Can plants survive 1 week of no co2 and lighting ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi AQ, my co2 ran dry of a sudden...jus in the midst of my exam week. My paper will end on 23rd(Thursday) Nov followed by a week of break to next paper. Thus I can only top up co2 on thursday, 23rd.

My question is:

1)If I top up on thursday at c328, I can only collect 3 days later (my co2 tank is green-colour tank)?

2) If so, I can only collect on Sunday, but Sunday is closed for c328. Thus, can my plants survive without co2 and lighting from 21st to 27th (around 6-7 days)

Thanks a lot,
    zhan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    u can get instant top-up @
    BIOPLAST (System & Control Engineering Co.)
    BLK 22 Boon Keng Road, #01-23, Singapore 330022
    Tel: 62964916, 62964919

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    3 days without lighting, yes. 1 week? I doubt it...

Without CO2, definately will survive. Just that the plants will "stunt" for a while and during this period algae might take the chance to grow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Reduce lighting and use Excel?
    Cal

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1 week is too short for any major algae problems. If I were you, I'd leave the lighting as normal and just run the tank without CO2. Use Excel if you really want to be on the safe side.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eddy: Thanks Eddy, anywhere else in the west with same instant co2 top-up service ?

Squee: That's what I feared too...I'm worried that using co2 tablets might invite algae as well because the co2 will be unstable.

calamari: Excel will work as good as co2 ? I using excel as supplement on alternate days only so far .

Keig086: Having light w/o co2...won't that invite BBA and various algae as well ? I ain't going low tech..I am doing a 3.6WPG lighting.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Reduce photoperiod (but no one week blackout) to 6 hrs a day. Reduce ferts to half of what you dose because without the usual CO2 nutrient will build up faster than plants can consume. Add excel as emergency carbon source. Please do not leave the tank prolonged too long without CO2 as I did just so and screw up my tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Reduce the intensity of the light rather than the duration. Less w/g makes more sense since less NADPH and ATP is produced during the light cycle of photosynthesis and thus less need to fix CO2 in the Calvin cycle. Algae is also less of an issue in low light since they grow slow as well. You can always trim things and correct conditions.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    from what i experienced before, no co2 can grow..... but no light i think will pose a problem.... why not try using a timer?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It will take longer than 1 week for any major BBA problem to surface. Anyway BBA is easily killed by Excel spot treatment so there is nothing much to worry about. You can reduce lighting to 6 hrs to be really on the safe side like what medicineman said if you are unable to reduce the intensity.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    life goes on. just lower light intensity and everything should be just fine. Just concentrate on your exam and all the best.

Bio Plast is a better choice if you can't wait. 10 minutes waiting time also allows you to see the tempting mosses they selling.. if in luck, u may bump into some brothers there..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hmmm, reduce lighting intensity. It may grow poorly for stem plants but for mosses and ferns no noticeable difference. least of all anubias or fissidens.
    FYI, most plants kept in a sealed and moist bag can last more than a week in the refrigerator crisper.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee View Post
    Reduce the intensity of the light rather than the duration. Less w/g makes more sense since less NADPH and ATP is produced during the light cycle of photosynthesis and thus less need to fix CO2 in the Calvin cycle
    That is a perfect explanation/reason for lowering light level.

Even though I'm not too sure if high light plants which needs minimal light treshold (all or none law applied to their metabolism) will be able to kick start any activity under subdued light level. Rather crucial decision, especially if he keeps strong light demanding plants where subdued condition (combined with lack of CO2 and reduced ferts) may result to rotten lower stems. It is just plain difficult to decide the best thing to do under this condition.

It is easier to fix the tank than to did badly in exam go for another year , so concentrate on it and dont worry about the tank.
    Those high light stem plants are usually plenty and cheap.

most plants kept in a sealed and moist bag can last more than a week in the refrigerator crisper
    I did that some time ago using wet newspaper and plastic bags. My plants went into hibernation in fridge for 3 days and turns out OK. Not a recomended solution though if you dont want to tear up the plants out of your tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you guys for the valueable inputs....

For the past few days...I reduce light intensity and dosed excel...and doped co2 tablets. Some of my HC are turning yellowish and crypts started to melt too.

Nevertheless, I send my co2 for top up on thursday @ c328 and collected on friday night. To my HORROR, when I turn 'open' the main valve, co2 gas is leaking from the main valve while my solenoid is still turned 'off'. I knew heaven wants to play trick on me. GUess I had to return and ask for repair.