Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: What algae can't you get rid of?

Voters
442. You may not vote on this poll
  • BBA (Black brush/beard algae)

171 38.69%
  • BGA (Blue-green Algae)

50 11.31%
  • GSA (Green spot algae)

85 19.23%
  • Green Water

21 4.75%
  • Staghorn Algae

35 7.92%
  • Thread/Hair Algae

153 34.62%
  • Brown/Diatoms

33 7.47%
  • Green dust algae

23 5.20%
  • Other algae from hell!!! (Pls specify)

4 0.90%
  • Algae? What's that? (No algae whatsoever in my tank)

9 2.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What algae can't you get rid of?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    If common sense doesn't strike you NOT to pump in so much co2 that your fish dies.. then i guess go ahead. You dont see us saying to do that do you??
    No Justin, I didn't mean that. I know my cories don't like it when I crank up the CO2, but the tetras seems indifferent to it. High constant CO2 works for you? Good for you!

ck

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai View Post
    I've been battling BBA for a few months now, excel overdose, CO2, waterflow, you name it, I've tried it. This is like the algae from hell! and worst now it seems to have grown immune to excel. OMG! If it weren't Bolbitis, I would have thrown away the whole lot. Geez..
    Mike..when i get back and have time maybe i go over see see your tank ok..;D.. can have kopi also.

Ck...pump the co2 high enough and any fish will die.. ive done it before.. killed all 20pcs of my Barbus faciolatus and some other rare fish accidently...
    What i mean was to deal with it sensably...no one said to pump co2 so high such that it starts killing fish and then find another way to deal with that did they?? precisely only because its not sensable.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai View Post
    I've been battling BBA for a few months now, excel overdose, CO2, waterflow, you name it, I've tried it. This is like the algae from hell! and worst now it seems to have grown immune to excel. OMG! If it weren't Bolbitis, I would have thrown away the whole lot. Geez..
    Is the bolbitis growing well in the first place? BBA actively growing? I'll suggest you use the mist method via a diffuser in the path of good current such that the mist is blast all over the tank especially to the plants. Make sure the CO2 bubble rate remain stable and eye-ball the plant growth and BBA. If the BBA grows actively, add a tad more CO2 and make sure the fish are not stress and then so on and fore till the BBA stops growing. Once you achieve that, you can trim the remaining BBA off good.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee View Post
    No, you do not lower the fert dosage. Plants would go after the NH3 first before the NO3 but the NH3 shouldn't be that much or else you would have greenwater.

Either not enough PO4 dosage (2ppm 3-4x a week should be the max) or poor CO2 (rate dropping off during the week? Poor water current in some spots.)

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    I have no green water, so NH3 is low. So point taken... My NH3 is low.

Now, here is one thing which I am always confused about with EI. I need to achieve 2ppm 3-4x a week. But this 2ppm is per dose or over the week?
    Logically, it should be per dose right? Since the plants will take in some, so the concentration in the tank will drop. Please clarify? This will also be the same for NO3? Each dose 15ppm? Or 15ppm divided across, say, 3 doses?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice View Post
    I have no green water, so NH3 is low. So point taken... My NH3 is low.

Now, here is one thing which I am always confused about with EI. I need to achieve 2ppm 3-4x a week. But this 2ppm is per dose or over the week?
    Logically, it should be per dose right? Since the plants will take in some, so the concentration in the tank will drop. Please clarify? This will also be the same for NO3? Each dose 15ppm? Or 15ppm divided across, say, 3 doses?
    2ppm per dose 3x a week at high light (less frequency but same dosage at lower light.). Same deal for the NO3 but I dose at 10ppm per dose 3x a week.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by CK Yeo View Post

ADA aquasoil has ammonia??! I just googled it. Apparently a few people reported it. wow!

Excel kills BBA. It kills other things too. Shrimp, Vallisneria, Riccia just to name a few. H2O2 does the same though it is not as "in" now. Bleach works too, but that's frown upon for some reason or another.

Still no claims of algae free tanks. Is it possible???

ck
    Thanks for that info on ADA soil, explains alot now to me. For the excel, I haven't gotten a single death for my shrimps, in fact they blowing out of proportion, thinking of giving them as feeders eventually.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    2ppm per dose 3x a week at high light (less frequency but same dosage at lower light.). Same deal for the NO3 but I dose at 10ppm per dose 3x a week.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Thanks... My light is high... 4xT5HO over 2ft... So threading on a thin rope...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice View Post
    Thanks... My light is high... 4xT5HO over 2ft... So threading on a thin rope...
    Yah, things go south real quick if something goes out of line. All you get is faster growth and that is it.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Brown slime algae? the kind that you find on the glass after awhile...

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by XnSdVd View Post
    Brown slime algae? the kind that you find on the glass after awhile...
    I'm having that now, one week after my Gyrinocheilus aymonieri died after a 5.5 hour power failure while the family was away.

Now I know why it is so big and fat. Mistakenly thought it was eating up all the fish food which it seem to hog. It must have been getting big and fat sucking up those nutritious bacterial protein on the tank walls.

Now I know how hard it was working. Go get one, but think hard before introducing it as it is rather difficult to catch out without CO2. More than 1, and it quarrels. Mine killed all its brethren, turned to kill the other loaches and finally became king in the tank - even an 8 inch Pacu is subject to it.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is the bolbitis growing well in the first place? BBA actively growing? I'll suggest you use the mist method via a diffuser in the path of good current such that the mist is blast all over the tank especially to the plants. Make sure the CO2 bubble rate remain stable and eye-ball the plant growth and BBA. If the BBA grows actively, add a tad more CO2 and make sure the fish are not stress and then so on and fore till the BBA stops growing. Once you achieve that, you can trim the remaining BBA off good.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Hi Peter,
    Yes the Bolbitis is growing very actively just like its trying to outgrow the BBA. I'm trying the misting method now albiet an alternate method through the use of a powerhead. So far, the BBA is at status quo. Will see what happens later.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    Mike..when i get back and have time maybe i go over see see your tank ok..;D.. can have kopi also.

Ck...pump the co2 high enough and any fish will die.. ive done it before.. killed all 20pcs of my Barbus faciolatus and some other rare fish accidently...
    What i mean was to deal with it sensably...no one said to pump co2 so high such that it starts killing fish and then find another way to deal with that did they?? precisely only because its not sensable.
    Well, you better get back quick cause I'm getting posted to the middleeast After Chinese New year to be precise. I don't want to drink arabian coffee with you ...
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dictionary defines algae an aquatic plant except not having true leave,root or stem (photosynthetic organism).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I was harvesting/trimming my weeping & taiwan moss from my driftwood( Pull all out and re-tie the moss again) yesterday when I saw small clumps of BBA still clinging on to the branches despite being covered up entirely by the moss. Most of them turned white though, but still look pretty determined in surviving. Yet they did not infest my moss...pretty weird eh?

I will give credit to BBA and will vote them to be the toughest algae~!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i've lots of blue-green slime algae and it keeps growing back even though i manually removed it. non of my shrimps are going near it and it's covering up my entire moss mesh and driftwood. can somebody advise how to get rid of it without affecting my cherry shrimps inside?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by MiSs PiGgY View Post
    i've lots of blue-green slime algae and it keeps growing back even though i manually removed it. non of my shrimps are going near it and it's covering up my entire moss mesh and driftwood. can somebody advise how to get rid of it without affecting my cherry shrimps inside?
    3 day black out kills all BGA. Thereafter, keep your NO3 levels at a good level (10 - 20ppm). Do a search, there's been several discussions covering the cause, solution and prevention on this topic already.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i've successfully got rid of my algae. thanks bro.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have some sort of algae in my tanks all the while. I have learnt not to get paranoid about it.

Most headache is the Hair Algae. BBA can be controlled by extra CO2 but the Hair Algae seem to be always there. I have got Yamatos to keep them in control so tank can be enjoyed.

Any tips for me?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler View Post
    I have some sort of algae in my tanks all the while. I have learnt not to get paranoid about it.

Most headache is the Hair Algae. BBA can be controlled by extra CO2 but the Hair Algae seem to be always there. I have got Yamatos to keep them in control so tank can be enjoyed.

Any tips for me?
    You need to trim them off good since they grow well with high CO2 and nutrients once induced and established. Make sure that you dose enough nutrients and maintain good CO2. (Are you still dosing lean and assuming nutrients coming from the fishes? CO2 24/7?)

Regards,
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Cool

Ditto hair algae[staghorn or cladophora] on moss.
    This is something that is an unwanted permanent resident and grow so much faster than BBA. This is enemy number one for me because active[removal] and passive action[improving conditions] does not rid of it. It's 100X worse than riccia to rid of. It really has to be bleached-H202/clorox to be killed.

BBA grows near dead spots? I think the first place it grows is on the filter out where the flow is fast and the light intense!

IMHO lack of stable, high CO2 is being given too much credit for growth of BBA.
    Plants near my diffusor are getting BBA. They are covered in CO2 mist daily but BBA still grows.

IMHO it grows following deteriorating conditions in the tank. Water not diluted by WC with high amount of organic debris- neglect, clogged filter, mucking with the soil, limited CO2 + dozens of unknown to me reasons.

Hi nutrients don't cause algae? Another incredible piece of news to me when I heard it more than a year ago.
    IMHO that's like saying flaunting your jewelry won't get you mugged.
    A more honest statement would be 'Hi nutrients don't cause algae BUT there would be a higher chance of getting a lot of it real fast!'

IMHO there's already a little algae here and there in your tank.[introduced via fish/plants/spores etc]
    If they were fed of course it will grow- common sense.

I'd like to believe the plants outcompete algae in some ways like blocking light otherwise there's really no sense in all these so called mantra that's filling forums especially when experience tells otherwise.
    Last edited by StanChung; 15th Jan 2007 at 04:24.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast