Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Little Green Bee-eater

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My 3rd favourite bird from the November 2006 Thailand birding trip. Taken from Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park.

Managed to get some time at the Singapore Airlines lounge to process those 1800+ left images and here I present 3 pictures.

All raw images processed under Nikon Capture NX with minimal adjustment and no Photoshop cheat tricks done. What you see here is I captured in the field.

Basking in the early morning sun at a resting perch within a rice field.

A little bee for breakfast

Wiping off that sting before consumption

The Little Green Bee-eater, Merops orientalis, is a near passerine bird in the bee-eater family Meropidae. It is resident in a belt across sub-Saharan Africa from Senegal and The Gambia to Ethiopia, the Nile valley, western Arabia and Asia through India to Vietnam.

This species should not be confused with the Little Bee-eater, Merops pusillus. Migration is limited to seasonal movements depending on rainfall patterns.

This species, like other bee-eaters, is a richly coloured, slender bird. It always has green upper parts, but the head and underpart colours vary widely depending on the race. Thus, southeast Asian birds have rufous crown and face, and green underparts, whereas Arabian breeders have a green crown, blue face and bluish underparts. The wings are green and the beak is black. It reaches a length of 16-18 cm, including the two elongated central tail feathers. These elongated tail feathers are absent in juveniles. Sexes are alike.

This is an abundant and fairly tame bird, familiar throughout its range. It is a bird which breeds in open country with bushes. In Africa and Arabia it is found in arid areas, but is more catholic in its habitats further east. Just as the name suggests, bee-eaters predominantly eat insects, especially bees, wasps and ants, which are caught in the air by sorties from an open perch. This species often hunts from low perches, maybe only a metre or less high. They readily make use of fence wires and electric wires. Before eating its meal, a bee-eater removes the sting by repeatedly hitting the insect on a hard surface.

Unlike most bee-eaters, these are often solitary nesters, making a tunnel in sandy banks. The breeding pairs are often joined by helpers. They sometimes form small colonies, or nest near other bee-eaters. They lay 4 to 8 spherical white eggs. Both the male and the female take care of the eggs. These birds roost communally, lined up on a tree branch. The call is a soft trill.
    A study showed that Little Green Bee-eaters are capable of putting themselves in the place of other animals. They were able to predict whether a predator at a particular location would be capable of spotting their nest entrance and behaving appropriately. The ability to look from another's point of view was usually believed to be possessed only by the primate.

Information quoted from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow! good stuff now we have two burong shooters. how come I never see you post local birds?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks ! Too many deep unknowns in the deep currents of local birding community.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haha yes I heard.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Philip, those are some jaw dropping shots, very nice smooth bokeh

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I like the 2nd pix. Really really nice! Well done.
    Wanna see Borneo? Just click...http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks again to Simon and kuching for your kind compliments.