Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What to do when taking long trips?

Feedback Score

What to do when taking long trips?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Folks, the project at work has commenced. I'll be traveling extensively for the next 7 months. May come home on weekends every 2 to 4 weeks.

As such, what do I need to do to ensure my fishes survive in my absence? Is it ok to change water every 2 to 4 weeks? Will my plants survive if CO2 runs out for a period of about 2 weeks or more? The readout for my CO2 tank is 25 psi and running at 3 to 4 bubbles per second for about 8 hours a day. How long will the CO2 lasts approximately?

Presently, my aquarium is automated through the use of timers, i.e. to control the lights, solenoid and uv light. Filters and fans are switched on constantly. My mom will be doing the feeding.

Please advise the necessary precaution so that I may have ample time to sort things out before I depart this Sunday.

Thanks,
    Roy

Someone to top up the water. CO2 keep it as per normal.
    Probably ask your mom to feed once every three days.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    get autofeeder, autofertilizer.. and u all set, jus get someone to topup water every week till u come home and change the water

Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

I've checked out some auto-feeder but can't find any that keep food fresh or controls the quantity. As for auto-fertiliser, I haven't thought of it. Where can I find one and for approximately how much?

In the meantime, I'll just leave instruction to have my fishes fed manually and water topped up weekly.

Thanks,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    auto-feeders .. Eheim has some auto-feeder models for sale. check out the more well-known fish shops to see if they have stock.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    petmart has the autofertiliser
    the autofeeder was out of stock when i wanted to get it, but rainbow has it, albeit for a higher price

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I recomend not to use autofeeders or autoferterlizers. Just feed the fishes and change water whenever you come back.

Do heavier water change say around 50% for longer peroids away. Feeding of fishes continue as usual.

CO2 will be running out very soon. Suggest you either get a spare or top up immediately. There won't be a big problem if the tank is without co2. Might get some algae problem.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]