Why my glosso not thick?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I need to ask this. Anyway, my tank specs

size: 90X60X55
    light: 8 X 36W PL
    fert: K2NO3 pure powder form one spoon every two weeks, jobes sticks (added a year ago) and of course, CO2

Kind of bittersweet thing, finally they grow flat, but its not carpet and thick. Also just two weeks back, some of the tips turned transparent.

Had a mini disaster too. Added too much trace elements and the water turned purple, from iodine I think. Did water change, all plants are fine but the x'mass moss turned brown.

Just to update, I just rescaped my tank. So here's what its filled with
    Blyxa Japonica
    H. Polysperma
    Glossostigma
    X'mass moss
    E.Tenellus
    Java Fern 'windelov'
    MM

By the way, the odd thing is, even in their pathetic looking state, they bubble madly.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    spilo, I'd suspect some nutrient deficit.

When I started with glosso, it took less than a month to cover the whole surface and then went on to grow into a thick carpet, even under the shade of tiger lotus (you can see the pic in "my tanks&quot.

However, after awhile the growing slows and they started having melting or translucent leaves. I added some Dennerle Gold which seem to kick start the growth again (light green growing tips). However soon afterwards I decided to try hairgrass and got rid of all the glosso.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    The glosso, which I planted 2 weeks ago, is doing fine, i.e. spreading and sprouting new leafs. Btw, my plants seem to be doing fine recently but the only thing bubbling like mad is algae []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/1/2002 11:28:25 PM

Had a mini disaster too. Added too much trace elements and the water turned purple, from iodine I think. Did water change, all plants are fine but the x'mass moss turned brown.

----------------
    what the heck? purple? why're you adding iodine to your tank?

Its a trace element mix, I do not know where the purple comes from. Its whats left from my attempts for PMDD 2 years ago. The mixture is very powerful and stinks quite a bit.

Anyway, what nutrient deficiet do you suspect? Maybe thats why my plant grow so slow. I normally assume bubbling to be a sign of normality. Denerlle Gold isn't really cheap is it?

My glosso already 3 months ah.... super slow.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    some time ago BCLEE suggested something missing (I think is K2SO4) if you find the leaves becoming translucent and growing slowly. Perhaps he can confirm.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think what is missing are the traces. Jobe stick and KNO3 supply the macros: N-P-K.

You need to add traces like Fe, Mn, etc. Dose something like TMG or Seachem Flourish or JBL Ferropol.

BC