Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Ruddy Kingfisher - (Halcyon coromanda)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ruddy Kingfisher - (Halcyon coromanda)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This was the model of the month when it made its appearance here in Singapore, a couple of weeks ago, in a public park of all places. It was observed doing very well and probably enroute from Singapore down to Indonesia or even further south for wintering.

Here I managed to capture a few pictures of this lovely Kingfisher (I have a soft spot for Kingfishers ) and now I can check off this beautiful bird from my list of Kingfishers.

All pictures taken with D2X, 600mm with 1.4TC, F8, between 1/40s to 1/100s, Rear Slow Sync Flash @ ISO400 and processed in Nikon Capture NX.

What a beauty !

You can see the tail being raised as it scans the forest grounds for preys.

A snail for breakfast.

The Ruddy Kingfisher (Halcyon coromanda) is a medium-sized tree kingfisher which is widely distributed in east and southeast Asia, ranging from South Korea and Japan in the north, south through the Philippines to the Sunda Islands, and west to China and India. It is migratory, with birds in the northern part of the range migrating as far south as Borneo during winter. Locally common in southern parts of its range, the Ruddy Kingfisher is rare in Japan, where it is highly sought after by birders. Ruddy Kingfishers inhabit forested areas from the temperate to tropical zones, often in thick jungles and rainforests.
    Reaching approximately 25cm, the Ruddy Kingfisher has a very large, bright red bill and equally red legs. The body is rust red, generally deepening to purple at the tail. There is little sexual dimorphism though some sources state that male birds are somewhat brighter in plumage.
    Like other kingfishers, Ruddy Kingfishers generally feed on fish, crustaceans, and large insects, though in areas with less running water, they are known to take frogs and other amphibians. Due to its preference for heavily forested areas, the kingfisher's high, descending call is more often heard than the bird itself is seen, and these birds generally travel singly or in pairs.

Quoted from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    very the swee

is this full frame or did you have to crop? I should intro you to my friend who has the Nikkor 800mm VR, but then he might ask you to help him carry
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks ! Me no crop

Nikon 800mm VR ? Got meh ? dont mind carrying it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Great shots!!! Especially the 1st pix!!! 2 years ago, when I was visiting S'pore.... I managed to photograph this bird using my old digicam....but of course, the quality is not as good as yours.
    Wanna see Borneo? Just click...http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow very solid KF shot! wish i could do the same!
    Cheers!

Benetay