1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

crawling stem plants?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, was searching through old discussions and saw that some of you guys mentioned that if the lights are high enough, plants like MM, Rotala indica and H difformi will crawl. Can you guys tell me how much wattage must the tank have in order for the plants to crawl? Thanks alot!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What sized tank? The WPG rule does not scale well to extremely small and extremely large tanks.

Also depends on what kind of light you are running. PL lights will have a hard time penetrating far deep enough in a 2ft tall tank to create the right conditions. Whereas a single MH will do the job in the area immediately underneathe it for the same tank.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    May I know your name, please?

If you want easy stem plants that stay low, go for Elatine Triandra. Find out more here:
    http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3296

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by FC View Post
    May I know your name, please?

haha Freddy, are you confused which forum you are in?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ok, thanks ..my name is william

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    haha Freddy, are you confused which forum you are in?
    Sounds like one . Not trying to change anything here, it may not be appropriate but I like to know who I am talking to, just not used to call someone "wahaha" or similar .
    Last edited by FC; 29th Nov 2006 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, Freddy, it's your prerogative to ask the name of the person you are addressing. It's also their prerogative not to give their real name.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wahahaha8 View Post
    Hi, was searching through old discussions and saw that some of you guys mentioned that if the lights are high enough, plants like MM, Rotala indica and H difformi will crawl. Can you guys tell me how much wattage must the tank have in order for the plants to crawl? Thanks alot!
    Hi,

I have MMs in my 3ft tank. Imho, they do crawl (you will need to plant them horizontally rather than vertically), but only for a few weeks without manual intervention. Thereafter, offsprings from side-shoots will grow out and because these grow vertically, you will soon have upright MMs. Unless of course, you push them down horizontally each time a new shoot springs out.
    FYI, my light wattage is about 3.3wpg.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    small fish, I don't think what you had described means your MM was crawling. It was just MM planting horizontally.

For a stem plant that really crawls, it will grow horizontally, and in extreme case, "crawling" on substrate. The freshly grown sideshoots will follow suit and it will continue to insert roots from the stem to the soil and this will go on until it spreads wide and far on the ground.

So far, I have only seen Rotala sp. green crawls in Sam Yick's display tank (marine parade branch).

High intensity of lighting is required.
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I was using 2 x 24W T5HOs in a 2ft tank that is 18in tall and my Hygrophila difformis crawls... Just my experience...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post
    Well, Freddy, it's your prerogative to ask the name of the person you are addressing. It's also their prerogative not to give their real name.
    Thank you for your response.

Actually, many people has mistook that I am asking for real name (who cares to know that?), a name to call, like a nick name (not "1234" or "siaobu" kind, just something you would give yourself to a stranger on the street) is suffice.
    Last edited by FC; 29th Nov 2006 at 19:19.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz View Post
    I was using 2 x 24W T5HOs in a 2ft tank that is 18in tall and my Hygrophila difformis crawls... Just my experience...
    Yes, that is provided the difformis has not grow dense and nothing is permanently shading it. Try tuning off the light or just one of the 24 watts lamp for 2 days, the difformis will struggle upwards, searching for light.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, FC, I guess that was what wahahaha8 (Ok, now I know why you asked for his name... ) was asking. Under what conditions will stem plants crawl... However, an interesting point I observed is that even when shaded, the plant will rather crawl to an opening before sending out leaves. Any older leaves in the shaded region grew larger, though...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Justikanz,

Saw your blog, enjoyed the whole home page.

Can you share with me your tank's information on:
    1) temp (any chiller?)
    2) lighting period
    3) base fert type and brand
    4) CO2 level (ppm or bps)
    5) filter type

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I assume you were asking about the tank with the crawling H.difformis... The tank is a 2ft x 18in x 18in tank, lit by 2 x 24W T5HO tubes for about 14 hours. I use soil from AZOO and seldom fertilize. I think I had CO2 on and off during the period I have the H.difformis. Filter is EDEN501... Fauna is just Endler's Livebearers...

Thanks for reading my blog... Had not posted in a LONG time liao...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys, thanks for all yr replies... maybe i should consider getting MH or T5 to make my stem plants crawl and forming a slope (just like sam yick marine parade).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys..i got 1 more question..does it means that if the plants are being provided with high intensity light..it will tend to grow shorter..er i mean it won't reach the surface so fast..hope you guys understand my question! haha

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    High light also means very quick algae problems if you havent got the tank down right.. just a point to note.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zenscape View Post
    small fish, I don't think what you had described means your MM was crawling. It was just MM planting horizontally.

For a stem plant that really crawls, it will grow horizontally, and in extreme case, "crawling" on substrate. The freshly grown sideshoots will follow suit and it will continue to insert roots from the stem to the soil and this will go on until it spreads wide and far on the ground.

So far, I have only seen Rotala sp. green crawls in Sam Yick's display tank (marine parade branch).

High intensity of lighting is required.
    My experience: what I see is that the main stem of my MM does insert new roots along its nodes as it grows ('crawls') horizontally. However, most new shoots sprouting out from this main stem tends to grow upwards, some does 'crawl' though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz View Post
    ...lit by 2 x 24W T5HO tubes for about 14 hours.
    That it is. The 14 hours light period gave the plant ample time to receive the energy it wanted. What happened is the plant (in this situation with no hurry/hunger to reach for light) would rather crawl, spread itself over the floor as much as it can find to dominate the ground against its' competitors neighbour (if any). It is survivor instint. Once that is breached, it will then develop upwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast