Country
    England

Female betta - random death...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello..
    Today, about 12:30pm, i found my female blue betta dead..
    She looked so healthy, no signs of being attacked, injury, illness or anything...
    She was in a 24x12x12 tank (roughly 15 US gallons) that is heavily planted, but with no floating plants (because she needed to reach the top, obviously!).
    Current fish are 1 cambodian female betta, a dwarf gourami, an african dwarf frog (yes, the one with one arm...) and a peppermint bristelnose.
    As i said, i dont think she has been attacked, no sign at all of injury or illness at all...
    Any ideas?
    She was a lovley blue female..
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Mez,

I assume that you have already checked the water parameters... so eliminating this as a possibility, you may simply be dealing with a spontaneous death.

The only way of ascertaining the true cause with no outward signs of illness would be a fish autopsy, as the death could have resulted from an internal illness or defect, whether it be internal parasites or organ failure.
    But in either case you should have been able to notice some type of symptoms... listlessness, shimmying, rapid gill movement. Because this was a betta it could have potentially been due to a lack of electrolytes within the water... as bettas require a fairly good supply of electrolytes... so may want to get either electro-right or shimmy-guard or similar just to be sure that the water has a constant supply of electrolytes, but I know that you also perform regular water changes... so I don't consider this as the problem... but might be worth noting for future.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Dan..
    no, no signs of illness AT ALL.
    no breathing heavy, no lethargic behavior ect..nothing.
    Water is fine, weekly 25% changes..
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.