Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    weileong,

cut the light period or intensity and darken the room or cover the tank. this will help greatly.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    another thing i forgot weileong
    did you clean your filter?

Actually not much need to create a special tank. Just get one of them net breeding traps and dump the daphnia inside. The net is fine enough to prevent the daphnia from getting out and killed

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    weileong

adding to yimin's last comment, when was the last time you change your filter media? have you done a NO3 test.....if the frogbits are growing like mad, that's not a good sign and it may suggest that your NO3 may be on the high side.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    You need to find the root cause of your problem. There are many solutions offered to you. If you do not know your root cause, no point. And you mention it is a 2 year old tank. So, in Statistically Process Control term, this is call a process drift.

Normally I get green water if I put in too much liquid fertilizer. A 50% water change and good filtration will solve my problem.

So, from the discussion above, maybe I can help to summarize:

Green water is a function of:
    a. direct sunlight
    b. too much fertilizer
    c. not efficient filter which cause nitrate build-up
    (please add in the rest if u have)

You rule out (a) so only left (b) and (c).

You can do a cause and effect analysis on (b) and (c).

eg. What can cause too much fertilizer in your tank which give the green algae effect ?

Possible causes: - too frequent adding of liquid fertilizer
    - leach from base substrate into water
    - etc etc.

It will be tough for you to work on the solutions without even knowing the root cause.

rgds

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, personally i feel the problem should be in the filter
    as mentioned, the tank is 2 years old
    i doubt it's due to a change in his fertiliser regime
    the last time i had green water was due to decaying material being accumulated in the filter
    this produces organic waste which apparently encourages green water

cleaning the filter and adding compacted filter floss should work
    avoid flocculants as it only increases the organic waste in the filters

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Had a similar problem a while back.
    Green water was due to direct sunlight and no water change for 2 months.
    It is just a tank with some fishes.
    It was so green that I couldn't see the fishes and the fish pooh was green as well[] [] []
    It took me 2 95% water changes, cleaned the internal filter and filter floss changes to get rid of green water.
    Now 2 months down the road, the water is still clear.
    And changing water ever 2 weeks.
    thomas liew

----------------
    On 1/4/2002 6:26:10 PM
    adding to yimin's last comment, when was the last time you change your filter media? have you done a NO3 test.....if the frogbits are growing like mad, that's not a good sign and it may suggest that your NO3 may be on the high side.
    ----------------
    I've not changed the filter media since day one, do you think I should have it changed?

The frogbits are not really that mad. But you know after I do a complete water change + complete wash of filter/media do you think if excess NO3 is still a problem? Hmm... I really feed the fishes very little and most likely I don't get that much NO3 but I'll check it out.

----------------
    On 1/4/2002 9:27:57 PM

Green water is a function of:
    a. direct sunlight
    b. too much fertilizer
    c. not efficient filter which cause nitrate build-up
    (please add in the rest if u have)
    ----------------
    You can rule out all the above because I do not add any liquid fertilizer and I've done two 95%-100% water change and at the same time fully wash the filter. After the washing the water is clear for 1-2 days then the 3rd day starts to get cloudy and finally become dark green. It is like that hopeless then I come here asking for help.

Could it be possible of leach of base substrate into water?? I've no under gravel heater installed and have not disturb the gravel for quite sometime.

Wow sounds like really no idea. I've used the daphnia method and hopefully it will help to clean up the water. I just check the Daphnia and they are all fat like going to explode, seems like they have a good meal of algae Hopefully it will help to get the water clean.

Hmm.. I read also that it could be due to lack of K or N that is causing the algae problem? Maybe you think I should add in K and N ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ehh
    since you've already washed ur filter
    go add some compacted filter floss into your filter
    use interpet filter aid
    this will clump the green water causing organisms together and your filter will remove them
    clean the filter once it's gone
    rinse and repeat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    weileong

filter media do expire.......and needs to be changed every year minimum...the last time I got lazy ....KABOOM!!! my nitrate level shot up to 80 range .......did 40% water change every two days and still the nitrate stayed at 80....till a kind person named yimin told me to change my filter media....
    [email protected]

----------------
    On 1/5/2002 1:34:16 AM

weileong

filter media do expire.......and needs to be changed every year minimum

----------------
    David, which media should I change? You meant to say change everything or just the white soft filter at the top? If change everything then very expensive.

DEA,

I will give it a try for sure but now I've added the Daphnia and I will wait a week to see if there's improvment. If not then I go get the filter media.

Which kind of filter media are you guys talking about?
    The blue sponge in Eheim filters? bio balls? Ceramic rings?

I thought a rinse would get rid of most of the slime etc?

I checked the NO3 and it is only about 12.5ppm I guess not too much so I added in 2ml of KCL. Will have to wait and see. Today the water is greener than yesterday, sucks.

If still cannot then I will have to reduce light level or use UV already

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the bio media...the rock stuff in your filter.....they have an expiry date......you are suppose to only change about 2/3 and keep 1/3 of the old..but if your NO3 is only 15 ppm well dont think its the case.......
    [email protected]

Got a UV sterilizer on Sunday, got it installed and running. This morning water is still quite green but this evening return home and water is as clear as it can get, cannot be anymore clear.

I turn off the UV sterilizer and now I will let the daphnia deal with the green algae if there is any.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thing may be good just to reduce the running hours rather than turn it off?
    [email protected]

----------------
    On 1/8/2002 12:20:23 AM

thing may be good just to reduce the running hours rather than turn it off?
    ----------------
    David,

I'll give it a try to just turn it off totally. I still have the daphnia inside the tank and would like to try to test if they will be able to prevent and outbreak again. If I get another outbreak then I will let the UV run for say 4 hrs/day.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Weileong,

good to hear that your problem has cleared up So how much did you pay for your UV lamp, and what are the specs?
    Allen

----------------
    On 1/8/2002 2:26:15 PM

Weileong,

good to hear that your problem has cleared up So how much did you pay for your UV lamp, and what are the specs?
    ----------------
    I paid $140 at petmart, for 11w, read the spec it's for 2000l/hr flow rate. Overkill for my 2228

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast