Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Those who are keeping exotic plecos....

Those who are keeping exotic plecos....

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I've heard stories that exotic plecos will die for no apparent reasons (die suddenly without warning). Is this because of the way plecos look (difficult to see if it's sick before hand?) or because of other reasons?

Also, how come GAN put coral chips in his pleco tank? I though they're suppose to like water which are soft?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    lighter, the one u heard most probably were the nuggets dying? the wild stock is very hard to feed & most come with worm parasites, & major cause of death is starvation cause most shops just dump in a few tubiflex which is not what they are used to if they are herbivores, a lettuce leaf or cucumber would be more appropriate.
    Actually they not so hard to keep if u follow the rules.
    for example the L46 zebra will take frozen bloodworms straight off- or u start them on a few wriggling live ones.

For example u see gan's coral chips, u know its kinda hard water wif a high PH(nearly all his tanks use them),so acclimatise them properly to ur home parameters(if yours is diff)over a few hours using a cup or half a cup of water every 30mins until bag is full.
    Read up on the foods they need & when they feed(nocturnal).
    These plecs can take & live in a range of water
    parameters but changes have to be gradual.
    Look for sunken stomachs & torn fins(apart from the usual white spot/ick/popeye)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    lighter, maybe it's something wrong internally?

plecos are actually sensitive to salt (some people don't think so) and medication containing copper salt.

yeah, i just experienced my first dead pleco on saturday. colours all intact, so if i didn't put my hand into the water, i'd have thought it's "sleeping"...

die suddenly for no reason? i should think there's a reason, just not visible sometimes...
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what happened, Flor?
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my small L177 from lor halus is now in my freezer lah! sob, sob, it's one of my favs...[]

came back on saturday afternoon to find the poor fella dead in a corner of my tank. strange, cos it's one of the most active ones.

nearly 2 weeks with me only.

i was treating the tank for minor ick, maybe the small one couldn't take it.[]
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/5/2002 12:52:15 PM

Hi guys,

I've heard stories that exotic plecos will die for no apparent reasons (die suddenly without warning). Is this because of the way plecos look (difficult to see if it's sick before hand?) or because of other reasons?

Also, how come GAN put coral chips in his pleco tank? I though they're suppose to like water which are soft?

----------------
    Usually there are some tell-tale signs b4 a pleco " bite the dusts " like dis-colouration, sunken belly, sunken eyes, vigorous flapping of its fins etc. Special attentions are need for ensuring quality water parameter , introduction of new fishes, food etc. Cheers !
    []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Thanks for the replies.

coryfav, sorry to hear abt the loss of your lost. did u think it was due to the medication that you put in with it? anyway cheer up, hopefully u get a new lover soon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks, lighter.

yeah, i can only think that the medication caused the death[] cos it's a young pleco.

well, dare i buy small (1.5&quot nuggets/plecos anymore? hmm... but my L015 from QianHu was small and now has grown bigger and still healthy.[:] let's see then.

can i know how long it'll take for a 1.5" to grow to about 4-5"? Are plecos that size very vulnerable compared to bigger specimens?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/6/2002 10:24:58 PM

can i know how long it'll take for a 1.5" to grow to about 4-5"? Are plecos that size very vulnerable compared to bigger specimens?
    ----------------
    Generally Juv. Plecos are very weak hence remmeber not to mix them with bullies like eg L114, adonis etc. The growth rate varies from species to species, so you have to read up before making the purchase, check out : www.planetcatfish.com
    Have Fun ! cheers ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )