Thread: Tumor on Cory??!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Ok, have been observing him for quite some time and i noticed that theres a lump growing just behind its pectoral fin, pinkish in color. Had the idea of doing some operation on it but have no idea if it'll kill him.

The lump have been there about 3months already, it was very small initially but it got bigger as it aged.

btw, sorry for the poor picture quality.

Help would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks in advance

ok here are the pics :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by benny; 22nd Dec 2006 at 12:11.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The picture is blurry and can't seem to tell much from it. I noticed that you have pebbles in the tank and reminded me of this:

I have a Koi that have a similiar lump a few years back for nearly 1 year. I used to put some pebbles in the tank but removed it as they trap detritus. It was a while after removing the pebbles and one day I found a pebble in the tank.... and the lump size on the Koi receded significantly abet leaving a "crater" on the body.

I figured that the Koi might have swallowed the pebble and its internal system is trying to force the foreign object out of the body through such dastic means. Once again, nature found its own way....

For your infor, the Koi still live on today...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry about that, will take a better pics.
    hmm...those arent pebbles. size around 2-3mm.
    wow, miracle do happen huh. I really hope he will recover.
    a similar lump, where? same spot as my Cory.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok a clearer pics....

note: the red dot that you see is on the lump itself. It got bigger and red dots start to appear.

anyone with any advice or suggestion .........
    or any vet in da house???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by benny; 22nd Dec 2006 at 12:44.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Really can't tell from these pictures. It can be anybody's guess if we can't even see the symptoms.

However, Corydoras spp. can get tumourous growth in the form of Lymphocystis, which is an infectious viral disease of freshwater (and marine) fishes that causes cell enlargement. It's also called hypertrophy and occurs usually on the skin and fins. And in the case of catfishes, barbels too.

There is no known cure for this viral disease and common antibiotics don't seem to be effective against it. Usually, the fishes can survivie for a long time, it's just that most owners cannot accept the grotesque deformity on the fish. In some instances, with good care, the tumor can eventually reduce in size too.

However, if you can see open sores on the tumour of your corydoras, it could be a secondary infection. This being the case, you may want to be on the alert for Fish Tuberculosis or Mycobacterium marinum. In the meantime, you may want to take the corydoras out for a alternate day salt bath treatment to prevent a tertiary fungal infestation from the open sores if the sores are progressively growing in size.

At this point, this is all the information that I can offer. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?