Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are crabs reef-safe?

Feedback Score

Are crabs reef-safe?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Me saw more than 10 crabs from 1cm - 2cm size in my reef tank (2x2x1.5ft).Most probably got them from my liverocks. At night can hear them clicking frequently and when I use my flashlight I can see them. Don't know species but if not safe for my corals and fishes I got no problem removing them. Maybe no wonder my cleaner shrimp disappear the next day - that was last month.No courage to introduce the shrimps since.

Feedback Score
    Me also have crabs inside my pico-tank. I think I counted 2 brown-spotted crabs and 1 hairy white crab, and 2 porcelain blue spotted crabs. So far, they are harmless to all my fishes. These crabs have grown by molting a few times as I see their discarded shells quite often.
    Unfortunately, recently my cleaner shrimp also disappear after a few days...
    when it came, it was very shy and stayed at the top of the tank. It molted the 3rd day with new shell and antenna. Maybe it became more confident and went down behind the rocks to venture. That was the last time I saw it. I thought it might be hiding to wait for its shell to harden but its been 4 days and I still have no sight of him.. I guess the crabs decided to have him for supper ( a lobster supper perhaps)

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well.. for me, whenever i see crabs.. i usually take them out if possible, if not, i use a pincer to crush them in their hideout.. to me, a good crab is one that is on my dinner plate.. done in chilli or pepper... [] yes.. they are very safe when they are young.. but as they grow.. they tend to get destructive and will prey on your fishes....
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Oman
    Reminds me of black pepper crab......Yummy!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Few days ago, I witnessed one of the crab (about 20 cents size) ambush my samll hermit crab (zebra hermit) and dragged it into his hole. Luckily I managed to distract the crab and my hermit was free.

Can anyone suggest a 100% safe way to catch them out of the tank without disturbing the infrastructure of the landscape ?

off all the lights. wait for 1 hour or 2. use a red light can check for the crabs.they cant c the red light(tts wat the US ppl say). then can jus use a forceps to pluck them out.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what i do is off the lights, then wait for a while.. try to see where they located and pierce them.. unless they are hiding under the corals.. if so, remove the rock to catch them.. i dun know abt the red lights though...[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    I removed almost all the crabs from my system. Crabs are not 100% reef safe. They will eat the critters from your sand bed (bad if you're running a DSB), ambush your fishes (bad for fishes that retreat into crevices- a royal gramma of mine got buggered this way).

One way to trap them is you could use a purpose built trap (I bought a $30 Mantis shrimp trap from Hong Leong that could be used for this purpose). Alternatively, use a brands' chicken essense bottle or Heinz baby food glass bottle (can buy at about $1.30 each). Bait it with some prawn or fish meat and leave the bottle next to some rock the crab can access. It can enter, but then cannot escape and all you need to do is to scoop up the bottle and dispose of the crab

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    that is an excellent idea, alvin.. []

Feedback Score
    hello

would u explain how the crabs are able to get IN the bottle and UNABLE to get OUT?
    Is there some kind of trap door, etc.

thank you very much...

Feedback Score
    Liverock- good question. The are able to get into the bottle cos they can slide down the bottle from the rock....but unable to climb out cos the glass wall of the bottle prevents them from getting traction to climb up. Somemore, the walls of a brand's chicken essense bottle is quite high for a normal stone crab found in liverock. Unless you got a monster sized crab .....

Feedback Score
    oic! So you put the bottle standing up; letting the fellow slide in but can't climb up.
    very clever!

Feedback Score
    I got lots of crabs when I first started my reef. It came through the live rocks. After a few fish dissappear, I got really frustrated and started to do crab hunting. Basically, removing the live rocks one by one and removing all the crabs from it. I got around 40 plus small and big.

After almost a year, yesterday I saw one SUPER WHITE VERY HAIRY BIG crab. [:0] So far no missing fish, so I'll let that crab free.

Someone could have told me about the bottle trap, or I wouldn't have redecorated the tank. []

Regards

Feedback Score
    I also got the white hairy crab... I named it 'Ting Hai' in Cantonese; which was the name of a popular HK movie abt stock markets...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    After almost a year, yesterday I saw one SUPER WHITE VERY HAIRY BIG crab.
    hairy crabs.. yum yum.. the hongkongers love it.. []

Feedback Score
    If u wanna remove crabs from a reef tank, use octopus. very effective.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Wouldn't an octopus eat all the fish too?
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO, i dun think octopus is a good idea.. for small crabs.. u can consider using bird wrasse.. octopus will not prey on crabs alone.. fishes too.. so.. pls ponder on that..

Feedback Score
    True, octopus eat ornamental shrimps too... but seldom fish, wat i do is to place the liverock and octopus together in the quarantine tank for a week, then the LR in the display tank.

Bird wrasses are some destroyer of reef tank, equally dangerous to shrimp as well as other fishes...must consider.

Feedback Score
    Hello

IMO, I find using one animal to consume another in order to get rid of the latter is not entirely a good idea....

I will worry abt what is going to happen to the predator when all its prey are eaten up?
    Will the predator starve? Must I supply it with its natural food (prey)? Thus, the cycle begins...

One exception I think are the algae grazers; algae are nuisance and their food are light and unwanted nutrients..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast