Images
    Country
    Singapore

open sore near tail area

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My albino red fin shark has a open sore in it's body near the tail fin, there is actually a hole (depression) in the sore area, red at the side with part of the body seemingly eaten away.
    can anyone help to identify the disease and more importantly recommend treatment/medication?

thanks!
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it's probably a bacteria infection of a wound
    red tail sharks are very aggro and tend to pick fights
    ideally you should catch him out, put him in a hospital tank and dose with antibiotics, or melafix

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    saw your reply last night, was planning to go get the medicine today but this morning woke up and found my shark dead already. sigh... nevertheless, thanks for your reply!

well, won't want to make this mistake again. care to recommend a few commonly used medicine that I should have handy at home? trying to put up a first-aid box of some sort. also, any good vitamins supplement to recommend?
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    keeping a first-aid box only makes the impulse to dose cocktail drugs higher
    don't
    just keep your water in good condition, and your fish should be perfectly fine with what they get from food
    in your case, i think the water is probably not very good, leading to secondary infections killing off the shark or your fishload contains very aggro fish, that pick on the weak fish until it dies