Country
    Singapore

A detailed Introduction from Simon

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi people, here is an update of my previous introduction

I am 35, living at lengkok bahru (still close to redhill ), been in this hobby for quite a while and have been lowkey recently from work, school and injuries from a car accident. more of that later and how the planted community have evoluted over the years

I started out in this hobby in the mid or late 90's, when I chanced upon takashi amano's book in one of the bookshop, did a search and found S-one aka SingaporeOne forum on aquatic hobbies, then moved to help AR aka aquarealms, due to some unforseen circumstances, a few of us (namely David, DEA, sherwin and Jacian) founded AQ in Dec 2001, with the help of Koahfong aka Juggler, Vinz, Bclee, Budak, Kelstorm, Lorba, tawauboy aka Thomas, we started afresh, injecting more excitment in the planted community . But sadly, the pioneers founders have faded away due to commitments and Benny volunteered to run the show, trying his best to make AQ a best place with his new ideas

With the popularity of forums, hobbyist could get plants shipped to them, compared to the days where the plants we got was dependent on the farms around SG. Making weekend trips to Fishfarm road was truly memorable, then once the government decided to redeveloped the place, farms was shifted to Lorong Halus and some to Lim chu kang area. I still remember the weekend farm visits we used to have, david and his van

Sadly, the pitfall of the aquatic plant scene IMHO will be the existence of online forums, giving LFS a really hard time, competing with hobbyist with no or very little overheads (This I have to admit), I also hope that hobbyist should understand the importance of preserving the community, creating equilibrium within the community, how else can a community flourish where we have hobbyist selling plants at rock bottom prices. I have seen many LFS closing down over the years, Aquamart was the one place I truly enjoy visiting every week (Thanks Raymond, if you still around). LFS have to constantly reinvent their business practises and come up with new ideas just to stay alive, and not forgetting the Louhan craze that over saturated the hobby with new LFS popping in every corner of our heartland. .

Been in this hobby for ages, I took up photography with the help of Benny, but failed to gain interest in fish photography (I still wonder why), the old excuse of having to coop up in the house, shooting fishes was boring, was a lie . I just didn't have the patience of staring at the fishtank, waiting for the right moment (probably also due to the investment of extra equipments $$$) . Instead, I found true love in butterfly photography, chasing them down, proning, leopard crawl on muddy ground just to get 'The' shot.

But my interested got interrupted in 17th June 05, while on a trip to 'Bunker trail' in JB, the car I was in got into a collison with a trailer, luckily for me, I had my seatbelt on and was asleep, but still got the worst of the lot. a fractured lumbar, a ruptured stomach, intenstine and colon. Thanks to a Malaysian guy, who ferried me to the nearest clinic and was brought to the hospital where I underwent emergency ops. Was brought back to SG the very next day, only to discover a fractured lumbar column after 6 days in the hospital. And so, undergo another surgery. Now I have 4 screws and 2 rods holding 2 spinal columns together. During the first 21 days, I have visits from many AQ friends, luckily for me, I had them.. or else I didn't know how to get through the days... again, I like to thank all those who visited me during my stay, especially to Benny, whom tried his best to provide me with my demands. I truly appreciate for everything you guys have done for me, not forgetting going to Ikea to get me a new table and chair in replacement to my old one that wasn't suitable for my condition. (Thanks Benny again and Billy). After spending 21 days in the hospital bed, I went back home, only to return for a re-construction surgery to my tummy. Now that everything is over (except for another surgery in the near future), I just wish to put everything behind. My commitment to butterfly photography have since reduced drastically with my condition and the timely part time course in Project management in NUS which I applied for months before my accident. With limited time for myself, mainly during the school holidays, I found another interest, ORCHIDS . for the past few months, I have been collecting them together with my mom, probably got at least a 100 species in my yard and so continuation for my photography

Back to the fishy side of me, I still have a super neglected 4 footer with rasbora espei and ludwigia sp cuba and a fibreglass tank with echinodorus grandiflorus. I hope the interest in planted tank will return. (maybe when my back is better, can't do alot of bending right now)

My apology for the incomplete story (too much to type and I got tired )

PS. Welcome to AQ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yo Simon,

Good to see an update to your previous introduction. Some of the chaps are not too que in on your recent developments.

Hmm... on the neglected 4 ft, we can always go to your house and help ourselves with the 4 ft tank. We can plan, plant and jump start the setup again. Just give us the keys and we'll do the rest.

And frankly, why borther to go sweat it out and shoot when you can get the best test of macro, lighting and discipline with aquatic photography?

And instead of welcome to AQ, I suppose I should say thank you for AQ!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I hope my thread wouldn't be a thankyou thread

but I supposed have to thank everyone for making AQ possible, without the members it will not be the same

Benny
    alot of additional equipments needed, no money

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Benny
    alot of additional equipments needed, no money
    Excuses. All you need is to give us your house keys. Nothing else. No money involved.

So when will it be?

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I meant the fish photography, but if you want to do my tank also can

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok. I go and "call soldiers and buy horses". We fix date and raid your house. I aiming for rossette plants only.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Simon, woah did not know the accident was was bad ... glad that you are recovering well now ... loving ur orchids photos on GCS hehhee

Harlow benny, no more corydoras liao ar?
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thks joe, I'm glad to have the support of my family and friends whom accompanied me through my gloomy days in hospital

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The most important thing is you are recovering and getting better now.

Hee... I am trying orchids now... Just bought 4 species from the Garden Festival... Including a tiny one... Will be learning from you Orchid lovers...
    Last edited by Justikanz; 26th Dec 2006 at 11:13. Reason: Hohoho... So new, I spelt orchids wrongly! :p
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what species did you get? I got a terrestial phrag (a sub family of the slipper orchid) which is suitable for terrarium :P

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I got Ceratocentrou feselii. The guy said it is from The Philippines and is very suitable for a vivarium/terrarium setup. Reeeeeaaally tiny...

(Photo taken from http://www.orchidphotos.org)

Also, I hand itchy, got 3 jumbo orchids from http://jumbo.eorchids.org ... The guy say these species can tolerate Singapore weather well and will flower... But I am really a beginner and had killed orchids before... How to grow them well? They are:

Catamodes Jumbo World,

Cycnodes Jumbo Phoenix Jumbo,

Pictures taken from above mentioned site.

and Cyrtopodium polyphyllum.

Picture taken from br.geocities.com/clubedaorquidea/cyrtoparadulce
    Last edited by Justikanz; 26th Dec 2006 at 14:10. Reason: Correct URL, correct names and attach pictures

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I got the C. feselli, remember not to keep them too moist, misting should be okie, but avoid getting the crown too wet.

those orchids from Jumbo can't be overwatered, should also allow it to dry between watering

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ooo... It is on a piece of wet wood in my vivarium... The whole thing is so wet... Maybe I should take it out and place it higher...

Jumbo ones are now currently on dried moss... Can the moss be kept wet once and then let them dry out before wetting again? Too wet? I intend to shift them out to the corridor soon... But need to hide them amongst the other plants to prevent thefts...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    That's a great read Simon. Glad you're doing better.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thomas, yes lifted it higher :P, I have a 1.5ft tank for those which requires higher humidity and they enjoy cooler air at night :P. I'm also collecting terrestial orchids, namely jewels, have 3 bunch of Macodes petola growing in the tank, 1 has a spike

thank Stan, for your kind words

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For the orchids from Jumbo, after the flowers have withered, cut the spike and get rid of the moss...

I just tied the rhizome to a Dw...As what Simon said, they need to dry out.. dont bother to water until you see new roots coming out..
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Discovered my plants have roots when I removed the moss and trans-plant them to charcoal filled pots... So, should I water the charcoal now? Hey, this is turning to an orchid thread! Paiseh ah, Simon...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Simon, nice to read your update!

I have no luck with orchids. Maybe can get some tips from you next time.

Have a great year in 2007!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thomas, water the media will be on the safe side

KF, you can ask me any questions once gain more experiences :P