Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new 4 ft tank from Nature Aquarium

Feedback Score
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi! eugene here. Just ordered my tank from Nature Aquarium (Thomson Road) today.

While there, I was deciding on a filter and almost bought a Ehiem 2222, but a couple of guys visiting the shop gave advice that I should be getting a bigger one, so I went with a 2026. Chan told me that the two guys hang out here at AquaticQuotient.....so if you see this, guys Thanks! In fact, I think I will change my 2026 to a 2028....bigger the better rite?

BTW, here is what I ordered:

4ft x 18inch x 2ft
    Dark brown cabinet (Nature's cabinet are soooo nice!)
    Ehiem Pro 2026, will change to a bigger one!!
    3X 4ft lighting PL32X2
    C02 5l system
    2X JBL base fert
    50Kg of gravel (not sure what type)

Plus a few other bits and pieces, came up to $1812....whew!

I planning to set up a planted tank with Tetras! Can't wait for it to arrive!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hey eggz, remember me?? I was there when u order the tank.. kekeee.. paiseh abt the no head signal on the filter :P anyway, welcome

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/13/2002 10:23:33 PM

Hi! eugene here. Just ordered my tank from Nature Aquarium (Thomson Road) today.

While there, I was deciding on a filter and almost bought a Ehiem 2222, but a couple of guys visiting the shop gave advice that I should be getting a bigger one, so I went with a 2026. Chan told me that the two guys hang out here at AquaticQuotient.....so if you see this, guys Thanks! In fact, I think I will change my 2026 to a 2028....bigger the better rite?

BTW, here is what I ordered:

4ft x 18inch x 2ft
    Dark brown cabinet (Nature's cabinet are soooo nice!)
    Ehiem Pro 2026, will change to a bigger one!!
    3X 4ft lighting PL32X2
    C02 5l system
    2X JBL base fert

Plus a few other bits and pieces, came up to $1812....whew!

I planning to set up a planted tank with Tetras! Can't wait for it to arrive!

----------------
    eh, I think 50kg of gravel against 2 packs of JBL base fert isn't going to be enough. You need a lot more base fert!

Assuming your tank width is 2ft, you should have around 8cm thick base fert (on average, in front thinner, behind thicker) you'd need 7 large packs, the 9 litre ones. Whereas the gravel (it says lapis sand, etc right) is 22kg roughly 19-20 litres per bag, which is just nice to cover your tank to around 3cm thick.

Still got chance to fix it!

BTW, how much wattage do you have for lights?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    3X 4ft lighting PL32X2
    C02 5l system
    2X JBL base fert
    ----------------
    [/quote]
    eh, I think 50kg of gravel against 2 packs of JBL base fert isn't going to be enough. You need a lot more base fert!

Assuming your tank width is 2ft, you should have around 8cm thick base fert (on average, in front thinner, behind thicker) you'd need 7 large packs, the 9 litre ones. Whereas the gravel (it says lapis sand, etc right) is 22kg roughly 19-20 litres per bag, which is just nice to cover your tank to around 3cm thick.

Still got chance to fix it!

BTW, how much wattage do you have for lights?

Hi hwchoy, thanks for the tip. I guess there isn't any downside with adding more base fert rite? Ok I'll get Nature to bring more when they deliver the stuff.

For the light wattage, I ordered 3 x PL32W X 2, so it should be 192W?

eggz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think yr lights shld be 36watts and not 32watts

Feedback Score
    Hello Eugene,

I'm the taller of the two guys in NA. I'm new myself having started a planted tank few weeks ago so really can't comment on your intended configuration.

The only thing I can comment on is NA cabinets are very nice indeed - simple and classy. The only "problem" with the cabints is they are too short for me. Well, standing at 6'2" or 189 cm, everyhing is too short or too samll for me

I'm using a Ehiem 2224 and Hydor Prime 20 on my 3.5 feet tank. Both are rated for aquariums up to 250 liters. I want a redundancy backup so didn't buy a bigger filter.

Finally, if you've questions, post it in AQ. There're lots of helpful folks with experience to offer. I hope you wait till the tank is fully cycled before adding your fishes. I was impatient and added fishes before the tank was cycled. Needless to say, I lost most of them. Start of with a few algae eaters to get the cycling process started.

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Eugene, Simon is right. It should be 36 watts. I'm using the same lights from NA.

Btw, good strategy to get your wife or girlfriend involved []

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/14/2002 11:47:11 AM

Eugene, Simon is right. It should be 36 watts. I'm using the same lights from NA.

Btw, good strategy to get your wife or girlfriend involved []

Cheers,
    Roy

----------------
    Hey Guys Thanks for all the tips. Simon, no worries about the no-no signal at NA. In fact I should thank you for the good tip, I would have regreted getting the smaller filter.

heh...heh...I had to drag my wife there to show her the cabinets. All the other tanks we've seen, it's been "aiya colour not match with the rest of the furniture" etc. Actually we're expecting our first kid in about 6 months, so starting a planted tank now is a good idea eh?

will try and be as patient as possible with the cycling, also starting to read up as much as I can from now till NA delivers the stuff.....

eggz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mmm... 3×36×2 = 216W, your tank is 85 gallons so you're getting around 2.5W per gallon only. As a rule of thumb you need around 3W per gal to grow light-hungry plants. But nevermind, part of the fun is the trying. Your tank height is 45cm is it? So at least the light can penetrate quite well, it might be enough. If you plant glosso and they crawl on the substrate you're OK.

Get lots of cleaning crew. NA has very good yamato and SAE, very hard working and can tahan high temperature. Also can get lots of Malayan shrimp to do the area cleaning. I think for your tank can get around 400-500. Only $8 per 100.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if I'm not wrong, Eggz ordered a 4x1.5x2ft tank rite?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/14/2002 2:04:55 PM

heh...heh...I had to drag my wife there to show her the cabinets. All the other tanks we've seen, it's been "aiya colour not match with the rest of the furniture" etc. Actually we're expecting our first kid in about 6 months, so starting a planted tank now is a good idea eh?

eggz

----------------
    Hi Eugene,

Well, got to please the wife, then they will support your hobby long term. Mine treats it as part of the house decor. []

Child on the way? Congrats! My own son is about 6 months old. Shouldn't be a problem (I have 4 tanks). Aim for a low maintainance tank... i.e. more rosette plants, less stemmed plants and avoid difficult plants.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Get lots of cleaning crew. NA has very good yamato and SAE, very hard working and can tahan high temperature. Also can get lots of Malayan shrimp to do the area cleaning. I think for your tank can get around 400-500. Only $8 per 100.
    ----------------
    [/quote]

Whoa! 400-500 Malayan shrimp?! That means they'll be crawling everywhere [:0]

Is it enough to just have Yamato, Otos and SAEs? What do the Malayan shrimps eat besides alge?

eggz

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/15/2002 1:03:45 AM

if I'm not wrong, Eggz ordered a 4x1.5x2ft tank rite?
    ----------------
    Yeah that's right, I really wanted a 4x2x2 but Chan said they only do 1.5ft width, so had to settle for that...

BTW, the tank will have 10mm thick glass instead of the 6mm used for the tanks in NA? Does this mean that the stuff in the tank won't look at "clear"? Does thickness of the tank have anything to do with how good the stuff in it look from the outside?

eggz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey eggz, I envy you!

You're gonna need that tank of yours coz your wife's gonna dump you when the baby comes along[]

Looks like you're gonna be pretty well prepared for the weaning process... []

What the "fish!" I'm still dreaming about my 4 ft tank[]

cheers!
    Mike

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/21/2002 11:56:50 AM
    the tank will have 10mm thick glass instead of the 6mm used for the tanks in NA?
    ----------------
    Hi eggz

How much does the tank alone cost? Would appreciate this info. very much. Is it is custom-made to your order?

10 mm would give you peace of mind when your baby "comes of age" and starts monkeying around.

Clarity of view should be as good as any other thickness.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/15/2002 1:39:04 PM

----------------
    Whoa! 400-500 Malayan shrimp?! That means they'll be crawling everywhere [:0]

Is it enough to just have Yamato, Otos and SAEs? What do the Malayan shrimps eat besides alge?

eggz
    ----------------
    [/quote]
    If you have thick plants, or thick foreground like hairgrass, Blyxa or glosso, you will not find them until lights out. I had 150 in my 2.5ft, most operate under cover in the glosso carpet.

Feedback Score
    Hi eggz

How much does the tank alone cost? Would appreciate this info. very much. Is it is custom-made to your order?

10 mm would give you peace of mind when your baby "comes of age" and starts monkeying around.

Clarity of view should be as good as any other thickness.

----------------
    [/quote]

Not sure about the tank alone, With the cabinet, it was $750. According to Chan at NA, the tank alone should be around $200 to $250. I think it's closer to the latter coz of the 10mm glass.

eggz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi hwchoy

will recommend more fertilizer? Will too much of it raise the nitrates level and harm the fish?

I presume that this base fertiliser is a slow releasing type. How long will it be good for/ last??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/17/2002 11:51:33 AM

hi hwchoy

will recommend more fertilizer? Will too much of it raise the nitrates level and harm the fish?

I presume that this base fertiliser is a slow releasing type. How long will it be good for/ last??
    ----------------
    normally at least 2-in of fertiliser is recommended, I have heard that more is better as it is very difficult to add fertiliser once it is set up. You want more room for the plant roots to grow and spread, especially if you have big plants or plants with rhizome (lotus, big Echinodorus, etc). The fert will not get into the water column as it is covered by the gravel, should be around 3cm thick. This gravel should be small around 2mm size. Apparently the fert can last for very long, may be 2 years? You can add supplements later.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/14/2002 11:41:50 AM

The only thing I can comment on is NA cabinets are very nice indeed - simple and classy. The only problem with the cabinets is they are too short for me. Well, standing at 6'2" or 189 cm, everyhing is too short or too samll for me

----------------
    i was also considering NA tank and cabinet when i was buying my 4x2x2 tank in may. chan told me that i can have higher cabinet, the standard height one, for same price. so the option is available.

i will have bought from NA if they can provide cabinet for 4x2x2 tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast