Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Will sudden change of temperature affect fishes?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Question Will sudden change of temperature affect fishes?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    let's say I have this fish in a tank that has a temp of 29 degree celsius, if I were to transfer this fish to a tank of temp 26 degree celcius, will the fish die??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    To most case and most fish, it is perfectly fine. However you must let the fish slowly acclimate itself to new temperature. Quite easy, the safest is by doing the dripping method, which involves dripping water from the main tank slowly into the holding container, so difference between the tank and the current holding water is gradually balanced in an hour or two. This is the best way to introduce different parameters such as hardness, temp, chemical content, salinity, etc (ask the saltwater guy).

There are some fish that would not appreciate the lower temp though, such as discus. They prefer temp of above 27C.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
    To most case and most fish, it is perfectly fine. However you must let the fish slowly acclimate itself to new temperature. Quite easy, the safest is by doing the dripping method, which involves dripping water from the main tank slowly into the holding container, so difference between the tank and the current holding water is gradually balanced in an hour or two. This is the best way to introduce different parameters such as hardness, temp, chemical content, salinity, etc (ask the saltwater guy).

There are some fish that would not appreciate the lower temp though, such as discus. They prefer temp of above 27C.
    erm when u say dripping water from the main tank into the holding tank, how much water from the main tank must i drip into the other tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Saltwater people would go extreme, but I'd say we freshwater people can escape better with less percentage.
    Lets say you have a 5L holding bucket, filling with 3L of main tank water is considered safe enough.

It is still a lot better than doing float the bag method.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Beside temperature shock, you should also look out for pH shock. If there is a huge difference in the pH of the 2 tanks, the fishes will also be severly stressed out. In extreme cases, it will die within hours.

Lastly, there is also osmotic shock, in which the mineral components are radically different and one is severely more saline than the other. This will also stress out the fishes.

All of the above can be countered by the drip method as suggested by medicineman.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm.. i was wondering can i slowly drip the water from the main tank straight into the plastic bag holding the fishes??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Best to use a pail. Dripping into plastic bags are like setting up a time bomb. Once the gravity shifts, the bag falls and your fishes and the water from the bag will be all over the place.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Best to use a pail. Dripping into plastic bags are like setting up a time bomb. Once the gravity shifts, the bag falls and your fishes and the water from the bag will be all over the place.

Cheers,

Better be safe than sorry.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    but can it be done?? i will make sure the plastic bag is stable in position before dripping the water into it.
    it makes no difference right? pouring the plastic bag into an empty container and dripping main tank water into it