Images
    Country
    Singapore

A few Questions on Tetras

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, Have some questions here and hope someone who knows could help me clear my doubts:

1) I went to C328 just now and saw Brazil Wild Cardinals. the colors looks brighter but cant really judge because they were place in a small tank and filled with ketapang leaves. What is the difference between them and normal cardinals?

2) Bought adult cardinals from colorful but problem is i didn't see them eat any of my tetra bits. they are all okey but i saw some tetra bits left untouch. should i change their food? Tried frozen bloodworm and brineshrimp but still didn't see them eat it.

3) My tank is 2ft with mostly moss in it (different types of fissidens and a rectengular size creeping moss). i bought 5 bee shrimp and added it in. my cardinals just swim pass but is it really safe?

4) Currently have 10 cardinals, 2otos and 5 bee shrimp in the 2ft but plan to buy more tetras. getting 10 more cardinals but i also plan to buy other tetras.. any maximum in the number of tetras a 2ft can house? and any other tetras to recommend that mix well with cardinals?

Thanks all for reading. so many question at one go hope the more experience willing to share. Good day!
    Last edited by Justikanz; 26th Dec 2006 at 22:31.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    No takers? I'll bite,

1. Brazil Wild Cardinals? How do you know they are what they are, and the "normal" cardinals aren't wild? That said, cardinals are also being farm bred these days. However, there aren't any telling differences, so as far as I can tell, they are the same, i.e. they are cardinals.

2. Not too sure on Tetra Bits, but one possibility is that it sank too fast. But your fishes, being new, will need time to get used to the environment, which could explain the uneaten food. I am pretty sure they will gorge on whatever food they can find, in time to come. I wouldn't be too worried, but if you want to be sure, you can feed flakes, which I am very very sure wouldn't be an issue.

3. My rule of thumb when it comes to shrimps are, they will be food to any fishes that can fit them in their mouth. Your shrimps will not be safe, but predation can be minimised by providing LOTS of hiding and cover.

4. If the tetras are of similar size to cardinals, I would say around +-30 in total. Do be aware that there are tetras which can grow much larger. Also, the filtration that you have is another factor in your consideration. There are plenty of other tetras that will mix well with cardinals, among others that I have kept before are, Hyphessobrycon amandae (ember), Paracheirodon simulans (neon green) and Hemigrammus bleheri (rummy nose).

Have fun with your tetras.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you Quixotic for taking time to answers all my question. I check with the fish uncle. The brazil wild caught cardinals are normal cardinals. no price difference. he just wanted to show that they are the same because some lfs selling them carrying the same name for $2.50 each!

As for the food wise i am still observing them but after putting ruby tetras and silver tetra today i saw them eating the new food which i got for them. Sere V-something.

For shrimp wise i did bought 5 bee shrimps and to date can see 3 clearly and as for the 2 other they gone to heaven or hopefully i dint see them hiding somewhere.

As of now, i have 29 tetras (15 cardinals, 4 silver, 10 ruby), 2 otos, 3 visible bee shrimp and 3 yamato shrimps.

Thanks again Quixotic. Hope to learn more Good day!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Jumali, cardinals are generally non aggressive, and the rubies are so physically small. However just bear in mind that all characins have impressive dentures, unlike cyprinids which have teeth in their throat (although that does not mean cyprinids cannot give a good bite).

The bottom line is that many characins are in a position to harass the shrimps with their ability or propensity to bite. While this may not physically harm the shrimp, it may cause them to jump and often that means they land outside the tank.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with all the experts above.. I had the same set up with about 20 cardinals and green, cherry shrimp....

After a while, shrimp goes missing except for a few that is able to hide in the foliage... and mine was rather heavily planted.

Net net, about 5 shrimps out of 60 shrimps survived. Also, be careful of bioload. once tetras get stressed, the famous white spots appear and it's hell trying to cure them.
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~