Images
    Country
    Singapore

My first try on a Vivarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I hope it doesn't look to bad to any of you. Its a orchid vivarium with moss, of cos. Initally, I had more ideas of a waterfall then while setting it up, I realised I didn't have enough room for all that idea. Also the potting soil is too wet to my liking (bad workmanship with silicone ), so I might have to remove the orchids if there are sign of distress. Substrate is clay pellet, spagum moss, potting soil and now perlite to elevate the plants higher (got to add more when they are available)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, it's a good start. Let's work on the aquarium soon. I just reworked mine with some help from CK.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually, I have another 1ft vivarium on the way. Siliconed the tank this afternoon. I finally visited NA after my 1.5yrs disappearance this afternoon as well

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't plant the jewels... I think the stems do not enjoy the soil being too wet... I simply placed mine on the soil and let the root slowly attach the plant... those I planted earlier all rotted...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I already elevated the substrate, should be good enough to make them happy, will post some updates tomorrow. I went to carrefour and got a few packs of perlite. I failed miserably DIYing a flow channel in my 1ft, in the end I gave up

hot from camera. apologise for the messy tank, thats how it looks like at night, I bring plants in to enjoy the air conditioning

Last edited by Justikanz; 2nd Jan 2007 at 01:16.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ahhh, such a lovely setup and FINALLY someone who also appreciates the beauty of jewel orchids. They're one of my favourites besides the slipper orchids. Simply luvvvvv them. And i see a Phrag Pearcei in the corner there. Those guys when in bloom simply have one of the most amazing flowers ever.

But i would be a little bit worried though as i don't see any ventilation as they need quite a fair amount of fresh air coming in now and then.

Looks like i have to pay a trip to Woon Leng's again and get more "slippers"!! hehehe !

Regards,
    Phillipe.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This reminds me... Maybe I should really get that terrestrial orchid at Thompson...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    phillipe, ya, I'm also quite worried about the phrag, maybe install a dc fan for fresh air intake

thomas, forget about going to thomson.. head to Woonleng and Song , I will be glad to show you the way, if you provide the transport :P

btw, there is a plant sale at SBG this coming sunday, WL will be there. if you want any orchids, do email them

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh goodie goodie!... An outing!!

I am ok for Sunday noon and I should be driving this coming Sunday! Let me know... Heh... I would love to try the terrestrial orchids... Seems to be easier than the normal ones...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you probably have an extra passenger, my mom.. haha (if you don't mind), right now WL has quite a selection of jewels. if you don't want to drive to sungei tengah, you can always get them to bring the plants to SBG. PM me if you need their email address

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sungei Tengah is ok for me this coming Sunday. And your mum will be a great advisor. We arrange this via PM or MSN lah. Hmm... More vivariums?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'd personally vouch for Woon Leng (WL) and Song's. They're pretty much got me some of my rarer slipper orchids. No hassle of bringing them back here to Singapore.

hmmm... Botannical Gardens, my favourite place. Am i too late to join in the excursion? Always loved the Ginger Gardens and their extensive collection of Phrags and Bromeliads alike in the Orchid Garden!! ( Plus it's sooooo near my house !! )

Regards,
    Phillipe.

Just to add.... orchid collecting can be VERY VERY VERY ADDICTIVE!! so be warned... hehhehe
    Last edited by Justikanz; 3rd Jan 2007 at 12:52.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for those curious to see how the phrag pearcei flower looks like

picture from Slipper orchid Alliance

Phillipe, WL has a Phragmipedium sp. which is very nice, but requires low temp . I must go to your place to look at your slippers one day

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh why must ya tempt me with more Phrags!!! so tempted to go there!! Sure, sure ya can come over, but right now they're just finished or almost finished blooming though. If this keeps up, I might just have to convert my guest room into a highland greenhouse for more Neps and Highland Phrags.

I heard Phillipines is one of the last few countries which has a few of the rarest Phrags around. Not to mention its cool climate and amazing biodiveristy of plant life there.

Regards,
    Phillipe.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    at least you can afford to run your air-con 24/7. my mom like to know what is your bill like

too bad my Filipino colleagues don't know much about orchids, or else I would asked them to carry back some for me
    Last edited by Justikanz; 3rd Jan 2007 at 12:59.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haha, running the entire house on air conditioning 24/7 has to be my dad's idea for sure. Apparently he doesn't like it too warm. But it sure has good benefits for me, no need for chillers for my tanks and it's been great so far for my orchids and neps alike.

As for the bill monthly,... *cough cough*... let's just say it's around 5++... haha

Regards,
    Phillipe.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 3rd Jan 2007 at 12:59.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Looks nice Simon, do you not plan to keep any live animals in there? or is it just for plants?
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    phillipe, my mom must have some crazy ideas :P, probably related to orchids

James, mainly plants and some native fishes

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thats a good start for a terrarium. Nice decoration.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 5th Jan 2007 at 10:53. Reason: Edit by Benny: SPELLING

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually, it should be vivarium, terrarium are dry