Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I never took the time to say Hi

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I not as yet took the time to say hi and all, and so being that we are at the end of this year of 2006, I like to say to all to have a very Happy New Year.

Hello

Now, for the most part, I been in the hobby long before many of you were born, which I started back in the late 1940`s. And no, I not was the first hobbyist on this planet, the hobby started long before that over seas in places like Germany and so.

This year if all goes well, I will had started my reef tanks in which I been planning for more then 5.5 years now, which I also had many delays and yet with all that, I am still determine to have two SPS tanks in which is the one thing I not done all my life while doing the hobby. I mean, I done SPS corals, but not the corals which demand the strongest of lights.

My main background through the years been eels, for some might had seen that im putting together an article on the eel. Also I will not be giving any credit for this for which these are things in which I learned from many others which if I were to have to list their names, the list would be long for the study of the eel goes as far back as the 1920`s and in which more the main studies of the eel goes back to the 1950`s.

So yes, im what some might call an old timer in the hobby, but still im learning things even to this day. Today I not answer as much on eel questions due to the fact there be one who is nasty to me because of what I know, and I not would welcome this person for some two years he had been as nasty in his attacks as the forum site itself would allow him.

Being that people done what they wanted, no matter what one had suggested to them, I figured that their success will only matter if their the patience and no matter how they may stock their tanks. I still in one or two other sites check in to see if any new eel questions are post. Like one was some month ago in RC that one wanted a ID of his eel, the person are persons who responded had giving the thread starter the wrong ID, for which the person only tried too match the eel ID by coloration, which with many species is a impossibility and also in swf site, there too they giving a number of eel names and none were it.

Now im in a new phase of my life, I have only two cares and the main care be is the care for my family, after when able to, my tanks. I know of how to do most in all other things I done through the years and now I wish to do the one thing which I never done up till now, SPS corals.

So after I buy my third camera lens, I will put together money to try and finish up these reef tanks and perhaps stock before I any new decisions to make. There just happen to be a medical situation in the family, and if I wasn't so close to completing these tanks, I would had then had to rethink my idea of SPS tanks. And most likely would had thought of a number of eels for these tanks, for in all honesty, I no longer care for a F/O tank. Yes, I know the eels are still a F/O tank, but there happens to be a huge difference in that type of outlook for me. I need somewhere about $4K to $5K to finish these two reef tanks and which includes the upgrade on two wall outlets to upgrade from 15 amps to about 30 amps each.

Also some the data that will be in that article, I in a message to this person who has been rude with me for so long, I offered this data to him and only due to the fact that he hates me, it has blinded him of the offer I had for him. Also it be good too, for he would had taking credit to what I giving him, this person I speck of is that type of person.

This article goes slow, for it takes me much time to put together in the way I wish to best quote it and afterwards I two people who will edit it, for which as slow as I might go with this, I still make many errors in my typing.
    Anyway, I do hope that you all have the best new years as you possibly can, and perhaps into the next year about June or so, I might be able to start these reef tanks. For again, this will depend greatly on one turn out, my daughter who has too now try to sell her business and file for disability in which then for about six months, she will have no money coming in which makes it that she would need whatever help I might be able to provide.

I will however try to put together $800 to $1000 for the month, so that I might be able to start these tanks without having to give up on them. It will however make it that I might have to leave out the idea of a digital camcorder, and if so, at least I the digital camera in which I plan on getting, the Rebel XT.

So again, I wish all you the best for the new year and don't drink and drive

Buddy

A Happy New Year To All

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Happy new year! I've recently gotten interested in marine as well, particularly nano-reefs. However I've to put these plans on hold due to me having to serve military service in Singapore next year.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Myself, I not just gotten interested in the hobby, I have been in the hobby for more then 60 years and so much has happened in tanks and their equipment through the years that the very first type of skimmer was inside your tank. It wasn't until a little later that HOB were introduced and then in sumps for the man who had began the sump idea, he did it without a skimmer and later he added the skimmer. The person was a Asian man that I'm sorry, I not recall his name.

Buddy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Perhaps you've misunderstood me, I did not mean that you just got into the hobby! You made it clear in the first post

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey buddy!

Welcome to Aquatic Quotient! That's quite an introduction and we hope your article will go well. Can't wait to see it published and do send us a link if there is an online version.

Actually, our marine forum has always be relatively quiet as there are stronger Marine forums in Singapore such as www.arofanatics.com and sgreefclub.com. Coupled with the fact that eels aren't exactly very common amongst planted tank hobbyists, I'm surprised you manage to find our little forum.

In any case, I'm sure you can see that we are a niche offering in the diverse aquatic online resource. Most of our members focus more on their aquatic pursuit rather than online squabbles. So we are pretty happy with the cozy atomsphere here.

If you have the time, do feel free to start some threads to teach us a thing or two about eels. I'm sure there are some of us who will benefit from the information.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I've recently gotten interested in marine as well
    It is with those words that I thought in that I too just started, I not think that if I did nothing with tanks up too now, that I wouldn't start now at this late date. Also I do tend to have some misunderstandings at times of what some folks mean, also if it happens more so too think nothing of it for it will be harmless.

I don't know of the article being published for it already had been published through the years, only thing be is that you not find this so easy like for it took me over a half a century to learn of all I know, and even with all that, I still not know of all the eel species in the world today.

Its another fact that their numbers are diminishing and I not know of every single species. The eel family contains 15 family groups with over 850 species in all and with that, there is still a great possibility that there be any number of unknown specimens.

there does happen to be one thing which bothers me and that is the site which took me up on this, they don't get any eel questions at all as far as I can see. And I did say that with the completion of this article that I would receive no credit for it, for the fact be is the credit belongs too those who done these studies and not someone who only readied them.

I found your little forum due to the fact that there happens to be three other forums in which I had resigned my membership, and two of those sites I resigned from twice. I no respect to mods who allow others to become personal in there remarks for the person who had been doing this for two years, every time he made some out burst, he would get others behind him.

So, from then on, I called it quits as an eel person with my point of views to what has been in my background and I told others that I go back just to check out what he tells people in which at most what I get from what he says is a barrel of laughs. This person has so many errors of his own and he is in one site acting as if he was some professional hobbyists.

I mean, anyone can post some general data on some fish, and what this person says, you can get that exact same data by doing your own word search, for it is how he gets the answers he gives too others for this person has about three years only in the hobby and he pretends to know even more then most anyone, even of myself which as well gives me a laugh.
    Anyway, I called it quits with answering so many eel questions for that would only invite this rude person into here if he's not already a member. And besides, I not noticed that here gets any eel questions, it would be nice thou that if when this article be completed that it be where those who have a true love in keeping eels.

If you have the time, do feel free to start some threads to teach us a thing or two about eels.
    Well, right now seems to be a good time to ask one question, do eels have scales?

Do know that I know what your answer is already, that they don't, and so will give you a little look see at what data I was offering too one rude person who turn it down and only because he not liked me for more then two years. I was I gift horse, staring him in the face with data in which took me all my life to put together in which came from so many others and the credit of this once is completed, goes to them, the men and women who giving their all to study thousands of marine species, and I only sat back at home drinking a few beers watching a football game.

I did some diving before my disability took place, and my main idea was if I could encounter any number of eels. For the most part, out of every five dives or so, I did spotted me a Tesselata moray with few green and giant morays.
    I feed this fish and hand pet the animal which at most had never taken me as some threat, and the Tesselata isn't the true honeycomb moray, but rather the laced moray.
    Now on that question, if eels have scales, I just started that part in this article and here how its reads:

Scales:
    Like other families in the Anguilliformes, the Anguillidae possess scales. However, these scales are rudimentary, at least in comparison with those of other species of fish. The scales are relatively well embedded in the upper layers of the corium below the epidermis [diagram 6], and are not arranged in overlapping rows as they are in other fish, but are irregular and in some places, distributed like parquet flooring. In general, one row of scales lies at right angles to the next, although the rows ofscales immediately above and below the lateral line lie at an angle of approximently 45 degrees.
    In Anguilla species the first scales do not devolop immediately after the larval stage is over. asis normal in other bony fish,but appear much later. Opuszynsk [1965], Matsui [1952] have shown that >

That is how far I got with the issue of scales and there is not a lot more, but still at some point would give many an interesting thought on the subject.

Also in this article will be photos of what it specks about for I will list a few subjects which will be listed in the article.

[1] Infection with fungi, metazoa and protozoa
    [2] Bacterial diseases
    [3] Salinity
    [4] Temperature and depth
    [5] Eel migration
    [6] Survival in air
    [7] Skull
    [8] Vertebral column
    [9] Structure and function of the skin
    [10] Pectoral girdle and fins
    [11] Scales [as you seen a part on this subject]
    [12] Pigmentation [i`m not so sure if I will add this]
    [13] Respiratory organs/swimbladder
    [14] Organs of feeding and digestion
    [15] Blood circulation
    [16] Liver and gall bladder
    [17] Kidneys
    [18] Early larvae stages
    [19] The brain
    [20] Hypothalamo-hypophyseal system
    [21] Thyroid gland
    [22] The eye
    [23] Sense organs
    [24] Indo-Pacific eel species

There will however be a good number of other subjects, some will be short and sweet in listing their functions and those that will take me a great deal of time.

I need to relax now and have my coffee and then shower to spend the day with my family, so once again, Happy New Year

Buddy