Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Maturing

Feedback Score

Maturing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm into the 10th day of maturing my 2 feet tank. I have a common clown and damsel to kick start the bio. I notice that a brown algae looking substance is appearing on the sand's surface. Is this normal?
    If not wat do I need to do?

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    welcome to the dark side, ws.. hehehe..

brown algae occurs when the tank is either young (not matured) or not enuff lights i.e the intensity of the lights is not strong enuff to penetrate the depth of the tank...

in this case, it could be due to the tank being young.. as this is often the first stage u will see when maturing.. no worries.. if it bothers u, clean it... but if your tank is matured and u get that.. it means that your lights is getting weak..[]

what lights are u using right now for what size tank??
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    I am using an Arcadia white fluorescent tube..2feet. The depth of my tank is 15 inches. Is this sufficient for the time being? I intend to add a Actinic lamp once I add live rocks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what abt the duration u switch on the lights?? how old is it?? chances are, if everything is new.. it is just what u called.. 'new tank sydrome'... wait a couple more days.. in the meantime, clean it off the glass.. very unsightly.. and once the tank is matured, u should not see it already.. no worries..[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    The lights are on 10hrs/day. The tube is about 2 months old. Will see what happens a few days later.

Feedback Score
    I forgot to mention..I intend to set up a reef tank..therefore is the lighting sufficient?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    FL tubes life span is between 6-12 months.. so u might want to know that.. to keep reef.. it is possible.. but some corals requires more intense lighting than the rest.. so u might want to consider that.. go for soft corals such as mushrooms and finger coral.. they are usually able to take the lightings provided.. hard corals such as acrop and clams.. usually require MH (metal halide) coz they are able to give out 10'000 kelvins and more.. which is well loved by lights-loving corals..

Feedback Score
    Saw this Coralife fl 10,000K marine white lamp at Pacific Marine last Sunday. Is it good?
    I also added 4kg of live rock....just wondering how much of live rock should I put in my 2feet tank?
    The algae situation I mentioned earlier didn't improve yet, infact the colour became darker. Will moniter further. Does turbo snails help to clean up the algae?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Saw this Coralife fl 10,000K marine white lamp at Pacific Marine last Sunday.
    it is fine..coralife is one of the brands.. alternatively would be arcadia and interpet

I also added 4kg of live rock....just wondering how much of live rock should I put in my 2feet tank?
    IMO, i would say that there is not limit to how much u want to put inside the tank.. but i need to remind u that when u buy corals, they sometimes come with LR as well and u would not want too much till fishes cannot swim.. put just enuff to build up your tank.. as LR do not have a fixed shape which = not fixed weight.. it is very difficult for me to guide u on the amt of LR to put inside the tank.. it is more like the amt of pieces inside the tank..

The algae situation I mentioned earlier didn't improve yet, infact the colour became darker. Will moniter further. Does turbo snails help to clean up the algae?
    turbo snails do clean up algae.. but as i never kept them b4, i'm not sure whether will they eat up all sorts of algae, which includes calcarous algae.. btw, turning darker.. what u mean by that???

Feedback Score
    Well the colour earlier was light brown. Now they have turned a darker shade of brown and the turbo snails does eat that stuff..just saw them doing that a couple of hours ago.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well the colour earlier was light brown. Now they have turned a darker shade of brown and the turbo snails does eat that stuff..just saw them doing that a couple of hours ago.
    ----------------
    give it time.. this is due to your tank being young.. no worries... []