Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Change in guppies' appetite

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Does anyone have this problem of guppies changing their appetite from normal floating food to algae wafers for plecos? I added some plecos recently and fed them (the plecos), but my guppies went straight for the wafers. Now they don't eat the floating pellets that i throw in. I have to breakup the wafers, so that the plecos can have a share too. Else they are too shy to go and fight for their share of food.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Hiya,
    try holding off the food for a day or so, then just feed flake food. Alternativly, feed some live bloodworm, then return to flake. You said that the guppies are affraid to fight for their share of the food, what are they housed in and with?
    James
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO if you insist to feed them with floating food and avoid other food, your guppies will have no choice but to eat whatever is left behind.

In general, guppies are very greedy fishes, they eat almost anything.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe the floating pellets you have been feeding your guppies is no longer fresh compared with the algae wafers?
    Last edited by Justikanz; 5th Jan 2007 at 10:35.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fish too, do have a preferred diet, like us. Some fish food will taste better or smell better. It is normal. Just make sure, if you want to vary their diet, to feed ONLY one type at a time. Alternatively, you can try a third type and feed together.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 5th Jan 2007 at 13:53. Reason: Adding more infomation
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree. Even among the same type of fish, they have different preferences. I find that some of my altum angels prefer JBL novo, some like Tetrabits and one loves Tetraflakes but one thing for sure, they eat more when their prefered food is newly open.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, thanks guys for the inputs. Am starving them for a day and try again. If not will go for the second day. Let's see how thing goes.