Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Are air pumps necessary in a non-planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Are air pumps necessary in a non-planted tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys.. sorry to ask some stupid question here Is it necessary for me to add an air pump to aerate the water even though my external ehiem filter is already agitating the water surface with its return line? My fishes are not gasping for air except one of the three recently bought blue ram..it comes up to one corner of the tank and and then stays near the water surface for a while...wondering if the ram is sick or lack of air???? Kinda scare of this behaviour cause my former 2 rams were dead the next day when i saw them act that way[] thanks for any advice given[]
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if the fishes r in a planted tank, not necessarily, unless u on yr CO2 24/7.. to the reaction of yr rams, they may be sick.. if its a lack of O2, u will see all yr fishes grasping for air

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    "Are air pumps necessary in a non-planted tank?quot;

non-planted tanks don't have the benefit of photosynthesis
    this is why most bare tanks have air pumps
    in your case, it doesn't sound necessary
    try to keep an eye on that ram, it doesn't sound very healthy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I believes when the water are going into the filter the water suface tension are minimum or broken thus allowing air to dissolve in them. I have a tank which had almost undisturded water surface but the water flow into the filter system keeps the water well oxygenated as the water are exposed to the atmosphere in the filter. of course some filters are enclosed so probably won't work as well.

peter: I believe the air pump works by using air bubbles to agitate the water surface to allow more gaseous exchange with the atmosphere and not the bubbles itself exchanging with the water, so if you're having the return from the filter disturb the water surface oredi, then its as good as a air pump! don't worry!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    your fish are small, dont think will be a problem. unless you have 200rams in that tank

but they are good for adding circulation in the water.

a tip for you is the place the airstone right by the canister intake tube. slight above the opening where the water is sucked it. This will help to draw water and particles towards the canister intake. At the same time, it does the "normal" job of airstones [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all the replies..unfortunately the "weird" behaving ram passed away this morning...one more seems to be following its footsteps.. Just wondering C328 rams are all sick or what? How do you guys treat sick rams? Salt or medication?
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Using a rainbar wud be a good alternative if you do not wish to use a airstone. The water coming out from the rainbar wud be cause enough surface agitation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Could be due to large diff between your tank and LFS tank water. Have you tried a water change?

Else I can only think that they caught something in your tank that is affecting their gills?

What's your tank setup (ie, size, filter, decor, etc) and residents?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter

The behaviour of your rams may be due to other causes.

Rams are not the easiest fish in the world to keep. I was initially attracted by their beauty and tried several times to keep them... but alas all of them didn't last more than a month [] They are rather sensitive to nitrite/ ammonia levels and chemicals, whcih means they will probably die rather than get well fr medication. Your pH has also got to be around 6.5.

Mike

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ram are not easy to keep. I have try keeping 8 of them and all died within 3 months. And those have the same behavoiur as yours died first within few days. They need soft water. Adding back water doesn't seem to help. I dare not try keeping them again. However, my friend has keep them with success. May ask him for secert...
    Welcome to visit my-blog