Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: planted tank using ikea small cute glass tank?

Feedback Score

planted tank using ikea small cute glass tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    today bought the ikea small glass cute tank (slightly smaller than 6"x6"x6&quot. has anyone successfully use it to setup a tiny planted tank?

still staring at it and try to figure how to set it up. does it make sense to have some form of water filter and CO2 for such small tank?

actually it all started with trying to build a place to house the naughtly puffer fish separated from the main 4' tank []

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if it is too troublesome.. me willing to adopt it.. []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 8/10/2002 11:21:17 PM

if it is too troublesome.. me willing to adopt it.. []
    ----------------
    thanks for the offer... that may be the last option... but the transport will cost more than the fish []

can't remember the japanese site that show lots of tiny tanks. keen to try. if can be setup nicely i plan to bring it to office for my table

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    heh, had the same idea today!

was topping up gravel in my small tank when an idea came to me to save some gravel, and maybe one day do a mini planted tank![]

i've already got a bunch of java moss which's been sitting in a small plastic container by the window for a long time. then i've a couple of pieces of small driftwood. then also a few spare betta tanks.

now just have to wait for the mood!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    tried an 8×6×8" (5 litres) once with base fert and gravel, problem is it is too difficult to clean off the algae, not enough room to manuevure your hands and you can't tip the tank cos the substrate will slosh around. Finally got rid of the substrate and planted moss on steel mesh (cut the mesh to fit the tank size). Put it in the office, moss grew like forest due to the cold water. No other fertiliser other than fish poo from 3 platy and 1 pencilfish (also server as algae eater). DIY CO2 + 19W light.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It can be done... Though it will not be easy as the water is too little and have little room for errors.

If you are going into this... I would suggest not to use filter or CO2. There won't be much space for it... Choose small plants like MMs, moss and glosso...

You can even go w/o gravel of the base is all moss... Look up some Amano's books. Think there is some on really small tanks...

You to change water frequently.. and dun put in too much fish...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had the same idea some time ago and bought the same cube I think. Was planning to plant a tall plant like Arrowhead and keep a nice betta in it.

Unfortunately, the 6" is behind the 6' in priority.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    vincent, imho, setting up a 6' will definitely be more exciting than a 6"![]

now i'm looking into a 6"-like, cos no 6' to play with!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Reminds me of this website with mini tanks:
    http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/2...indexmini.html
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    i do a quick one yesterday. set it up with some gravel, a piece of small driftwood and some MM. of course the sole occupant at this moment is the puffer fish []

no base fertilizer, water filtering, lighting, co2,... not sure if the MM will survive... will see...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi wee, yeah, please keep us updated cos i'm trying not to have to put in CO2 for such a small tank...[:]

thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You need light at least....

No light, MM will die.