Light: 8AM - 9AM - 1 nos. 36 watts T8 light
    1 PM to 10 PM - 7 nos. 36 watts T8 light
    Filter - Eheim canister filter
    CO2- Pressurised @ 2 BPS dissolved through a reactor
    CO2 level - abt 33 PPM
    KH-7
    NO3-25 PPM
    pH - 6.8

Fert: On the day of w/c - 20 mls of KNO3 (stock sol. of 8 tb spoons in 400 mls of Distillld water), 5 mls of KH2PO4 (stock sol. of 2 tb spoons in 400 mls of distilled water, 7 mls of Seachem Iron & 20 mls of Seachem Flourish Traces. On the 4th day 15 mls of KNO3, 5 mls of KH2PO4 & the same sosage of traces & Iron

Plant Growth: Plant growth is quite good and I need to trim quite regularly.

Problem: (1) Facing GDA problem for quite some time. Presently trying to get rid of them by allowing them to complete their life cycle. I have also reduced the photoperiod from 12hrs to 8 hrs.
    (2) Another problem is that all broad leaved plants are slowly geting smothered by the GDA. I planted some new stem plants but they are also getting covered by this algae
    (3) Although I am dosing KH2PO4, I can still see some amount of green spot alage on the front glass near the substrate

However, plants like N. Japonica, Red & Green Cabomba are unaffetced.

What should I so tackle these problems? Where am I going wrong?

I am really at my wits end and would highly appreciate your help.Please do help me.
    Regards,
    Saugata Banerjee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems like some flow issue to me and likely CO2 as well. I'm not sure how good the flow is throughout the tank but if there is any "dead spots" with little current, the plants there might not grow as well if it's under alot of light since the need for CO2/nutrients is more.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think flow is a problem as the plants are growung quite well other than the alage issue. I have trim plants quite regularly. Infact I should do it every week but I end up doing once in every fortnight.

So i guess the problem lies somewhere else.
    Regards,
    Saugata Banerjee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi Saugata,
    I used Yamato Numa Ebi shrimps to help eat up the beard algae I had previously in my tank.

Hope it helps in your fight with algae. Don't give up else the algae will proliferate and smother everything into an ugly mess.....

cheers !
    compass

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Saugata, GDA supposed goes away by itself after a few weeks.
    How long have you had it?

How many inhabitants do you have in there[trying to determine your tank fauna density]
    How regularly do you service your filter?
    I noticed your kH is on the high side. This normally indicates lack of WC or presence of limestone material since you are not dosing carbonates.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi! Stan,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, my GDA has been there for the pasy few months. In fact I had scraped it a few times followed by regular w/c to get rid of it but then nothing helped. As of now I have not tpiched it for the past 2 months or so. The growth of the GDA on the front glass has stopped completely and I am just waiting for some more tome before I scrape it away. On the side glasses there is almost negligible amt of GDA present as of now.

Mine is a community planted tank & there is quite a number of inhabitants but then all are small fishes. Totally I guess I would be having something around 50 to 60 nos of them.

About cleaning of my filter, I clean them once in 6 month. I have 2 nos. of Eheim viz., 2224 & 2213. The 2213, I have installed recently.

W/c is very regular - 50% once a week.
    Regards,
    Saugata Banerjee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Saugata,
    There really isn't an answer to GDA, your best bet is to service your filter more regularly. At least once every two months.
    An indicator your filter needs servicing is when you notice the water looks foggy. It should be crystal clear!

A range of cleaning crew is also good to keep algae in check. Otos, yamato, Cherry shrimp, and ONE SAE.

If you can install a UVS all the better as it's great for zapping fine floating algae and pests as a precautionary measure. I'd normally have it switched on together with the lights.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Stan. Will follow your advice & see how things shape up.
    Regards,
    Saugata Banerjee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    You're most welcome. Persistence will pay off. Have you got a pix of your tank?