Thread: Basic light knowledge

Feedback Score

Basic light knowledge

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

If I have 2 FLs of 7000K and 8000K each, does it mean I have a total lighting of 15,000K ?

Please advise.

Lim

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    for a moment.. i'm stunned.. nope.. they dun added up like that.. it is just that; the area under the light is being exposed to 8000k lights while the other is exposed to 7000k of lights.. that is all... []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Good info on what is the optimum lighting requirement

http://community-2.webtv.net/deflizard/doc/page8.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    this is indeed very informative.. after reading this.. i get the feeling that almost all of our tanks are underlit...[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

The Kelvins (no, not u Kel) do not indicate light output - it's just a standard description for the colour of the light, or the spread of the spectrum. The lower the Kelvins, the redder the output; the higher the Kelvins, the bluer the output. For intensity, output is measured via Lumens (SI unit) or foot-candles. The reason why many aquarists refer to intensity in wattage is because very often wattage is directly proportional to no. of lumens emitted.

Feedback Score
    Wah ... kena suan. But this is how we learn.

The website recommended by Yazid is really very well written. Worth reading for all aquarists.

Thanks all.

Lim.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    limpc65, pls dun take it that we are suaning u.. we are not.. i hope u not offended.. anymore queries, just post.. we will try to help..[]

Feedback Score
    Hi Kelvin,

I love every moment browsing this forum, it's one of the best and well moderated I've seen. Not to mention the very local flavor and singlish of course. This is one forum that helps me unwind after a long stressful working day. Of course, seeing the fishes swimming happily and healthily is really very rewarding, too.

So, I'm here to stay and learn from all aquarists in this forum.

Lim []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I love every moment browsing this forum, it's one of the best and well moderated I've seen. Not to mention the very local flavor and singlish of course. This is one forum that helps me unwind after a long stressful working day. Of course, seeing the fishes swimming happily and healthily is really very rewarding, too.

So, I'm here to stay and learn from all aquarists in this forum.
    ----------------
    on behalf of all the moderators, i thank u for your comments.. yes.. we are here to share our experiences and knowledge.. that should be the way.. i recalled that when i first started out marine.. i only have my books and nothing else to fall back on.. thus, alot of $$ and trials and errors had gone thru.. therefore, i hope that we can share our experiences so that ppl can benefit from there and marine keeping becomes a joy rather than torture... yes.. it is indeed a relaxing sight after a long hard day.. [].