Country
    Singapore

Adobe Photoshop CS3 Beta

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    http://labs.adobe.com/

The trial version is out. Anybody trying it yet?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Think need to have the copyrighted version of CS2 first before can download the CS3 to try...

I am still using CS...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    don't seem to have any documentation on what the new features are.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Resources
    Still reading up on the new features. But the autoblend and align seems cool!

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you know what I'd really like? An "auto targetting" function for specks and spots. Because I use a lot of spot healing function for all the specks and spots in the water and dirty glass, it would be great if the cursor could automatically pinpoint and align iteself to the centre of the next speck, so that with a single button I can execute the healing centre around that speck.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I create a layer and apply dust and scratch filter to it with a layer black mask. After that you can "paint" away the specks quickly and easily with white brush. It is faster, more accurate and more forgiving than healing brush. The best thing is that, I can do this haphazardly with a large brush and it is non-destructive.

ck

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    you know what I'd really like? An "auto targetting" function for specks and spots. Because I use a lot of spot healing function for all the specks and spots in the water and dirty glass, it would be great if the cursor could automatically pinpoint and align iteself to the centre of the next speck, so that with a single button I can execute the healing centre around that speck.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yea a black mask will help greatly and is more forgiving. I've not really mastered CS2 now got CS3!

Still reading on CS2 books.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh yes, you can use the same technique to "repair" wrinkles, spots, crow's feet, stubbles etc from a person's face as well.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by CK Yeo View Post
    I create a layer and apply dust and scratch filter to it with a layer black mask. After that you can "paint" away the specks quickly and easily with white brush. It is faster, more accurate and more forgiving than healing brush. The best thing is that, I can do this haphazardly with a large brush and it is non-destructive.

ck
    can do a step-by-step on thsi procedure? or post a sample PSD?
    I do my healingon a separate layer so it is not destructive too. I don't really understand why black mask.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is clearer to show you lah. Anyway, I will try explain it again.

The "Dust and scratches" filter finds a speck/dust/line and blend it into the background. Unfortunately, it will try to do that to your subject as well (unless you deselect it in the first place. Selection is too troublesome and cannot be automated with action files).
    So the idea here is to create a new layer and use the filter to blend everything into the background. Then, use a mask to pinpoint the spots that you want/dun want.

A black layer mask hides everything blurred by the "Dust and scratches" filter, so that you can use a white brush to pick the spots you dun want. Of course, you can do it the other way and use a white layer mask and paint in the subject that you want using black. Mask have the added advantage of varying the intensity by changing the opacity of the brush.

"Healing brush" very slow on my system la. And it has the tendency to be not very accurate in areas with edges or bigger areas. Needs TLC for pics that needs lots of editing.

Layer mask is also useful for sharpening. E.g. Sharpening only areas around the eyes/fins, while leaving everything else soft. Again, with the brush opacity, you can control how much sharpening to render to different areas using a single layer.

Lost?

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    CK, how about a workshop on PS?
    Think this will be very useful...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Off-topic liao.
    No need workshop for this lah. I can show you and it'll probably last 5mins.
    PM me to arrange.

I just checked out some of the demos of the new features of CS3... seems that all are not very relevant to fish photography and will not change my workflow. OH! And I like the new black&white adjustment layer! No need multiple layers to adjust B&W liao!!!

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by CK Yeo View Post
    It is clearer to show you lah. Anyway, I will try explain it again.

The "Dust and scratches" filter finds a speck/dust/line and blend it into the background. Unfortunately, it will try to do that to your subject as well (unless you deselect it in the first place. Selection is too troublesome and cannot be automated with action files).
    So the idea here is to create a new layer and use the filter to blend everything into the background. Then, use a mask to pinpoint the spots that you want/dun want.

A black layer mask hides everything blurred by the "Dust and scratches" filter, so that you can use a white brush to pick the spots you dun want. Of course, you can do it the other way and use a white layer mask and paint in the subject that you want using black. Mask have the added advantage of varying the intensity by changing the opacity of the brush.

"Healing brush" very slow on my system la. And it has the tendency to be not very accurate in areas with edges or bigger areas. Needs TLC for pics that needs lots of editing.

Layer mask is also useful for sharpening. E.g. Sharpening only areas around the eyes/fins, while leaving everything else soft. Again, with the brush opacity, you can control how much sharpening to render to different areas using a single layer.

Lost?

ck
    I will try that. only thing I don't really get is the painting back the subject part. isn't that just as tedious? I can see that for those relaly speckly background yes, but most of the time we only have some specks to take care of.

for specks near to lines and your subject, there is a trick where you find a nearly similar area and use it as the healing source. this is how I get rid of specks on the fish bodies and fins.

I no longer do sharpening in PSCS2, I sharpen the RAW in DPP (for Canon RAW).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree. Which is why I paint away the specks with a white brush on a black layer mask, instead of painting back the subject on a white layer mask. If you set all this up as an action file, you can do this (and more, including sharpening) in 1 mouse click.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OH OH OH!!! CS3 have a new "smartfilter" feature that can convert a layer into a smart object. i.e. The filter settings can be changed after they were applied. And, it can apply multiple filters, change the sequence of the filters being applied!
    I like!

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Has anyone tried using this open-sourced alternative? Just like PhotoShop, powerful yet free. Do provide feedback on your findings.
    http://www.gimp.org

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    does it have layering?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes. like i said, just like photoshop

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    interesting, they didn't have such fancy stuff many years ago when I looked at it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Been using it for awhile now and the improvement in speed alone is worth it for me over CS2.
    Eric