Country
    Singapore

Lizard Terrarium/Vivarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I know I would be using the SG army's "8th core value" to attempt to keep a Calotes Versicolor (read: common garden lizard, not "Bi Hu"), but hey...AVA says "any homeless strays"? Anyway I've bumped around in the internet checking out habitats for a lizard that I will soon catch, its singapore's most common grass/garden colour-changing lizard next to our friendly "Bi Hu".

I had initially thought of a soil-in-tank setup with a single woody plant, but having seen vivariums and terrarium really give new meaning to art with plants. Wild Ginger's project with the small pond in the middle of the terrarium is also very inspiring. Nonetheless, I am hoping to plan for something like this, but involving less work, if it could be simplified.

My plans so far is to use 30 by 50 by 100 cm Arcylic plastic 5mm thick. These are panels which I guess will have to silicone eventually, since the issue of water pressure is none-existent. The corners are reinforced with 90 degree shelf ledges there were originally made to hold shelf planks from vertical walls. Is there any issues that I will face with this plan?

I will probably go for a terrarium, but knowing nuts about plants, what are some nice hardy plants that the lizard will feel at home, and still looks good? Is it clean to have soil-in-the-tank? I thought this so that the soil can reabsord lizard droppings and have the plant take it as fertilizer.

Well the main objective is probably to have a highly self-reliant environment for my scaly land-borne friend.

Opinions?
    Last edited by benny; 10th Jan 2007 at 14:43. Reason: Paragraph formating

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    By the way, I am going vertical, so 100cm means height

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The common lizards will find living in a vivarium as you described too humid. Will do a quick search on what other "homeless strays" might be suitable and revert.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think Gecko may be right. These creatures would prefer a setup that is not too moist. Also, these fellas are know to climb and jump. So you might want to consider ways to secure it before it terrorise some of your family members unintentionally.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think they need to bask as well.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If it has to be a reptile, couple of the geckos or skinks from the list might be suitable, if you can find them:

http://www.ecologyasia.com/html-menu/species-list.htm

Why not go with the White's tree frog? (no fear of that knock on the door at night )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    all nreptiles need a change of temperature, a lower temperature to cool off in and a hotter temperature (normal mid-afternoon) to heat up. this is called thermoregulation. being in singapore im sure it is quite hot anyway, so you would have to find a way to replicate this, or, like you say if they are native lizards, make sure you study the habitat in which you catch them, where they like to lay up etc..
    James
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You also have to take into consideration their UVB needs. How are you going to light up the enclosure to provide both heat and UVB and at the same time protect the lizard from touching the bulb and accidentally burning itself? Also, the size you have mentioned is too small for an aboreal species like this.
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well my friend keep 3 of these in a tank no more than 30 by 40 by 60 cm. Yesterday their appetite is still very good. Its been many months since my friend caught them. All they have is some wood and some ground material eg dead leaf mix.

Perhaps they are pretty tough? I mean, the eat sleep and run all over any place.

Anyway I intend to have mesh covering over my full spectrum lighting, a heater to create a temperature gradient across the tank area.

Perhaps I could try full mesh cage with wooden pillar supports?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sounds good, but don't forget to seal the wood with non toxic paint to prevent moisture from rotting it away. Animals may eat and seem healthy in small enclosures, but it does not mean they are happy. Imagine being cooped up in a small enclosure, bigger is always better for reptiles, if you have the space.
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks like I ended up catching a gecko instead. Its larger than the typical "bi hu", the single-tone bug eater that plagues every house. Its seems to be Gekko monarchus.

Does anyone know the care requirements? Would a usually nocturnal air-conditioned room like mines be fine? It seems more delicate than changeable lizard.

by the way these are two seperate ones, the lower picture is the larger one at nearly 13 cm, the other at 7 to 9 cm
    Last edited by Justikanz; 15th Jan 2007 at 16:09.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    How'd you catch it? Amazing specimen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    they were residing in a forgotten corner in a foldable bench behind my guardroom. so I too a thrash bag and over the top of the bench, the bench being laid against a wall vertically. I scared the lizard up the bench and into the thrash bag, inverted the bench and thrash bag so that the bag ended up in the bottom, and shook until it drop in the bag.

vuaalaaa!! bleeding lucky that we found it stuck to a bench.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Oh...very fancy way of catching lizards...haha, must be one of those lucky days. I thought you would throw a fishing net over it then bag it on the spot

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    indeed i am lucky it was resting on something like a bench. too bad its nocturnal, seems like I won't get much of a show with this compared to a calotes