Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hate to say this but eheim's excellent quality reputation is already somewhat tarnished. Though i'm still a fan and supporter of eheim, my confidance level for their products has dropped after reading reports of faulty impellor, flowrate indicator issues to "problem" with the primer.

By the way can anybody verify if some of eheim's spares or even some of the filter models are now made in china??
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eheim, as with many other manufacturer, (aquatic or otherwise), have products/parts made in China. I believe the entire Classic range is made in China now. A good clue will be to look for the "made in Germany" text, if it's not there...you know it's not from Germany. However, Made in China does not necessarily equate to a reduction in quality.

Sometimes, user ignorance is the cause of a lot of equipment failure. How many hobbyists really borther to read the manual and understand the limitations of the equipment? How many users actually abide by the recommendations?

However, since production has shifted from expensive production bases, it's a pity that the cost savings don't flow downwards to the consumers. Especially in terms of spare parts.

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 17th Feb 2008 at 09:30.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Even it says Made in Germany, it does not mean all parts are made in Germany. It could mean assembled in Germany. Anyway, its my safe assumption .. i reckon

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had problems with my 2028 too. After working for 3 years, the plastic part of the impeller came off from the magnet. Cost me lots of money to replace
    (about the cost of a new China-made cannister).
    Well I guess that is the last eheim I will buy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i just broght my eheim 2028 two month ago ,if i know got this problem i'll reconsider.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin View Post
    i just broght my eheim 2028 two month ago ,if i know got this problem i'll reconsider.
    Whats your reading on the flow indicator? Is it the same as mine .. at 25-35%?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Naquatics View Post
    Whats your reading on the flow indicator? Is it the same as mine .. at 25-35%?
    my flow indicator.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I would not say anything blanketing bad about Eheim. Mine have served me well and longer than any other filter I have had although I've had some issues with them, these were solved.

I would say I would have liked if the flow rate thing work as it should but mine is already very brown. LOL.
    From the output, it seems to be fine even with fine media but IMO needs to be serviced every 2 months due to clogging from fine particles and mulm. This is contrary to advice given by Eheim that say 6 months to a year. Perhaps my tank is more densely populated? I dare say evidence of BBA is more apparent once it's clogged. The heart of the tank is at the filter.

My favourite Eheim is the 2217. Very fuss free. Of course if I could afford the 3e that would rank very highly too. :wink:
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    It might be due to the incompetence of the product designed and engineering itself, not because of “made in China”. There’s still no any physical evidence that make us thinks the Eheim are produced in China. I remember that the obsolete model of Eheim 2017 which replaced by the 2217 is mainly because of the 2017’s primary moving part: - the impeller magnet is build into two segments thus tend to tear 0ff (I been using both model before & I have changed 3 impellers on the 2017 but none ever on the 2217).

Now look into the “white plastic” on the 2028 impeller’s sharp bearing, imaging that this is a significant moving part in the filter’s pump, it’s round the clock spin with constant friction & tension, so why it shouldn’t be build in Polypropylene instead of normal material. Eheim always highlight their superb quality on Ceramic sharp, but ignore to other tiny little things that may affect the overall quality and durability.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Alvin, I see your indicator showing in the red zone but is the flow ok? If so, I think its better to remove the indicator totally as if it goes any further down, I think the red plastic indicator will impede the flow further.

hc_rotala, I agree with you on probably design fault and not made in China. But it looks like it could probably be the spring fault as the tension of the springs stiffen, it affects the compression thus not able to show actual reading. Perhaps spring material specified was not adhered to but the manufacturers?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just got 2 2026.

When I first start it up, the indicator was working fine.
    it is at the top 2nd line.

But the pump flow dropped (as seen by the indictor) in about 3 weeks and when I opened it up, the fine wool has clogged with mulm. Replaced it and it is doing fine again up till now (another 3 weeks already).

For my 2nd one (setup on another tank), so far no issue.

For my 2217 (also go 2), no indicator light. From the flow it seems to be doing just fine (may be also drop in flow rate but since no idnicator, cannot tell). So since cannot tell, I am still happy with the flow rate.
    Alex

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Alex

You got a reading at 50% when you first powered it up? This is my point, should it not be at 100%. Otherwise you'll never get the right reading = might as well don't have the indicator .. less irritation and expectation ..
    Last edited by benny; 18th Feb 2008 at 16:57. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It is running at 75% point. It is a starting reference. So when it starts dropping it is an indication that the flow rate is dropping.

Anyway, that is how I use it.
    Alex

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ah .. ok. So it was never at 100%

I am keen to test the flow rate, ie, trying filling up a container via Eheim form the tank and see how fast it fills up. If following the actual flow for 2028, its suppose to be 1050l/hr. So if I fill a 10l container it should take no longer than 6 mins

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Alvin, I see your indicator showing in the red zone but is the flow ok? If so, I think its better to remove the indicator totally as if it goes any further down, I think the red plastic indicator will impede the flow further.

hc_rotala, I agree with you on probably design fault and not made in China. But it looks like it could probably be the spring fault as the tension of the springs stiffen, it affects the compression thus not able to show actual reading. Perhaps spring material specified was not adhered to but the manufacturers?
    At first it was same like your 25% - 35% but after i add on a coralife 3x uv light it become like that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    alvin, did you test bypassing the 3x uv lights? Mine is running 25%-35% even without media.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    alvin, did you test bypassing the 3x uv lights? Mine is running 25%-35% even without media.
    yes, but with the media is around 25%-35% .dare not try to take out the media because the first time i hook up ,i got a lot of air inside .
    Last edited by alvin; 18th Feb 2008 at 22:27.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I think the quality of the filter is not about 100% output in this case. I would like to say that you guys should not get so hung up about the meter.

The water flow should not be so strong that bio-filtration is compromised. Slow is better as for UV sterilizers to work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Stan, if that is so, I should have got a lower capacity filter, ie the 2026 at about 500l/hr. I am not hung-up the flow rate but more of a feature that does not function on a almost S$400 filter. Its like having a BMW and the fuel meter shows half tank when it should have been full tank. I got a high flow-rate filter as it was recommended for a densely populated tank that I have.

No offence intended.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Naquatics,
    No offence intended and the guage is just a tool for you to tell you when to clean your filter. It means when you got it loaded with media, take a note on where the ball is and then later when the flow drops lower than the desired level[a couple of notches?], it just means time to clean the filter.

The flowrate drops considerably after adding your bio-media if you notice.

The flowrate is also dependant on how high the canister is in relation to the tank, how many links, curves and bends are on the hose etc. So do take all this into consideration . Again no offence intended.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast