Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I think the max flow rate is termed, like some manufacturing machines, as "free mechanical rate".
    Which means the flow rate of the filter without media.
    When you add media the rate will obviously slow down from 100%.
    And Ehiem needs to let you check the 100% too, right?
    Hence the "lower" than 100% flow rate when the filter has media.

btw for the marginal difference in price, I'd willingly pay for the "extra" media tray between 2028 and a 2026.
    I run a Fiveplan 2 ft with a 2028 and you cannot "see" the biological filtration.
    I suppose what I say is also speculation!
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Stan I meant no offence intended to you la.

Anyway, tested all already. Now Ehiem AsiaPac is also testing. A test at the service centre in SGP showed even a new unit has a flow reading of <50%. Now awaiting test results for another unit.

celticfish, you run a 2028 for a 2ft tank? Shite .. isn't it too strong for a 50l tank?
    Last edited by benny; 2nd Mar 2008 at 15:01. Reason: merge posts

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    The “flow indicator” were no longer a confusing issue that we shall just give it a pass, how if is it (the “Red ball” inside the indicator) a jam or a stuck in the middle of the flow throat, than further impede the overall output as a reversed result.

The “Flow-rate” in anything that comes with any pumps or canister filters should be highly and an exceptionally be a consideration in which named as “performance”, otherwise it just a jeopardize device (rendering useless). Eheim should solve the error for their own products.

Just my $0.02 of cause.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    My RM.01 sen thought is as long as it does what it says, I what you guys are saying has already been addressed by the higher end model. So not much to say really unless Eheim intends to come up with 2028 pro III series to incorporate our collective peeves with what is already a very good filter. I think Eheim is very concerned that there is a direct drop in flowrate due to poorer manufacturing QC. [which I think is highly improbable]

So far the gasket is not my favourite item followed by the impeller. I don't even look at the ball and notch thing. Different weight ball perhaps. Could you guys do a simple test without media and see if the out put is accurate/close? A simple how many seconds it takes to fill a 1.5 liter pet bottle for a rough guide? Do some math to get it to Gallons/hour.

I would do mine on the next maintenance and see how it goes. I'd do it tomorrow since it's almost due anyhow. [bearing in mind my 2028II is at least 4 years old. LOL] Will do one before maintenance, without media and after media is put back in.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Naquatics View Post
    celticfish, you run a 2028 for a 2ft tank? Shite .. isn't it too strong for a 50l tank?
    Not at all, it's a fairly fast flow tank for some precious streamlined... zebra plecos.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Not at all, it's a fairly fast flow tank for some precious streamlined... zebra plecos.

They will all be swimming in the same direction .... against the current.

This is exactly my point. Flow rate is crucial as it indicates our intend when we purchase the filter.

I'll do a test too. Will see if I have time to do it today.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, I run a 2028 on a Fiveplan 57L.
    The wonder of adjustable flow rate.
    Plus compact 300 and airstone... for a total of three items.

I am speculating that the guys at the service centre won't realize the "free mechanical rate" I mentioned.
    Why don't you try running the filter without any media or tray, literally empty.
    You should see the indicator at 100%.
    This will explain why any new units they use will show the same flow rate at <100%.
    Last edited by celticfish; 20th Feb 2008 at 12:42. Reason: add info
    celticfish

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by celticfish View Post
    Yes, I run a 2028 on a Fiveplan 57L.
    The wonder of adjustable flow rate.
    Plus compact 300 and airstone... for a total of three items.

I am speculating that the guys at the service centre won't realize the "free mechanical rate" I mentioned.
    Why don't you try running the filter without any media or tray, literally empty.
    You should see the indicator at 100%.
    This will explain why any new units they use will show the same flow rate at <100%.
    Did that even before going to the service centre ...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Same thing happened to me. No matter what i do, my 3 mths old 2028 flowrate will still show at 50%. Guess Ehiem products are not as good & reliable as it used to be. sigh.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Has anyone mention anything about head loss? I know the Pro2 series offers a 2.0m head limit... that's an indication that it really depends on the distance between your inlet/outlet pipes and your canister.

The further the distance (especially vertically), the lesser the flow.

Try to move your canister next to your tank (same level)... the indicator might show 100%. As a manufacturer, Eheim could not possibly predict the way we fix our canister.

That's just my take on this issue.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've bought a Pro 2 2026 a couple of days ago and will be firing up soon. I will do some testings with pix and all. Will update you guys further on this.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys

My opinion: -

From the info shown at http://www.eheimasiapacific.com/Engl...ages/chart.jpg, the pump flow for 2028 is 1050l/hr. This means that the output of the flow w/o piping, filter media, joints is 1050l/hr.

To test whether the flow is correct, you can simply remove all the filter media, joints and only connect both of the inlet and outlet with tubings. After which, use a 100litre tank, empty the water fully then record the amount of time needed to fill up the tank.

Assuming the actual experiment takes 6 mins to fill up 100l, it can be converted to 1000l/60min = 1000l/hr. If this is the case, then there is no problem with your filter.

The gauge I believe is used to check whether your filter requires cleaning or not, it is not a quantified measurement. As regards to the actual flowrate with media and all the pipings, just redo the same experiment again to get the flowrate. I doubt other than the desgin engineers, i dont think anyone else knows the answer.

Hope the above can help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah, actually intended to get a 2026, now I need to relook my options again

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by williamng View Post
    Guys

My opinion: -

The gauge I believe is used to check whether your filter requires cleaning or not, it is not a quantified measurement. As regards to the actual flowrate with media and all the pipings, just redo the same experiment again to get the flowrate. I doubt other than the desgin engineers, i dont think anyone else knows the answer.
    If that's the case, after cleaning my filter, it still shows a flowrate of 50%. Since it is not a qualified measurement(which does not show the accurate reading of the flow rate) & it is also not a gauge to tell you that the filter needs cleaning (as i've cleaned it & still shows 50% flowrate). Then IMO it is a totally irelevant design & useless gauge that's being attached to the filter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually, eheim supporters have long said that eheim flow ratings are taken after media...so if the 2028's rated at 1050l/hr, it's 1050l/hr AFTER taking into account the media provided by eheim. if it's any less then something's supposed to be wrong.

has anyone tested whether it's merely the flow indicator that's spoilt or is the eheim pump not performing up to par? i was considering 2x 2028s for my 4x2x2 tank, but it looks like i may go get the Tetratec EX120 instead

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi illumnae

I dont know about the exact meaning of the flowrate. It can be taken with or without media. Only Eheim knows. I believe this problem will happen with any filter brands. Just check before you purchase.

I have own many Eheim filters and I am very satisfied by the performance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Okay guys I think you all have a problem if the white ball in the flow rate indicator cannot get to the top bar (100&#37.
    I just had a look see at my Eheim 2028.
    The ball was just above the 50% since I reduce the flow rate for my 2ft tank.
    When I push the lever for "full" flow the white ball went to the top bar.
    I have full media as recommended by Eheim and a sponge over the inlet basket.
    I guess there goes my theory of "free mechanical flow" for Eheim cannister filters....
    celticfish

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is there a service centre in Sg for Eheim? My Eheim 2026 just died today :<

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Guys

Just to share my disappointing experience with my 2028 (Checked its made in Germany at the side).....

Recently i noticed my 2028 starts to leak at the area where the top motor cover is connecting to the cannister bottom. Thinking the rubber ring seal has hardened, I bought a new ring seal from 328 for 20 bucks, fix it up and the leak stop. But 2 hrs later my whole living room is flooded with water!!!! This time round, the leak starts from somewhere within the motor top cover coz the 2 "handles" at the 2028 side is completely flooded with water. Trying to be smart, I used a screw driver to open the 4 rusty screws below but the last one is so rusty that once I turn the screw driver, the philip head becomes a hexagon like shape. Couldn't turn with the 12 types of screw driver heads I had in my tool box. Freaking frustrating I tried to ply open but of coz it had disasterous ending.....

I have a 2 Jebao before, 1 is still running. Need another filter to replace this 2028. Dont thk I will go for another 2028 again...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    That often happens with one of my 2028 but I didn't take it apart. Ordered the gasket but that has yet to arrive for a couple of months. Your frustration is understandable.

2217 seems to be the best design IMHO.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast