Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Common problems of Eheim Pro II 2028 Canister filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    check your impeller, 2028 has this common problem of faulty impeller.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gary,

Care to elaborate more on the problem of faulty impeller for the Eheim Pro II 2028? Haven't heard much about this?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Heard from sources that there is batch of 2028 impellers that gave way easily, it happen to me twice within a year, especially everytime you clean yr filter. take a closer look at the impeller and you will realise the quality is different compare to other eheim model impeller.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Interesting.

I've split this out for further discussion as there are quite a lot of Eheim users in our forum.

Personally, I haven't encountered this problem with either the Pro II 2026 or 2028. I do know that the Eheim Pro II 2026 also uses the same impeller. And if I recall correctly, the Pro 2226/2228 also uses the same part too.

Does anyone else have problems with the impeller as described by Gary?

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I have two Eheim 2028 Pro II been in service for 3 and 2 years without impeller problem.
    Only 2 broken plastic clip and one leaky o-ring, otherwise fantastic product.

I have two Ecco 2236 that had two and one impeller replacements after about a year in service. IMHO it doesn't like to be primed-cannot handle the pressure. Makes a horrible clacking sound and then not long after, filter becomes noisy. Check inside and it's a broken impeller.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    In my case, the impeller's white plastic separated from the magnet - about a year into use.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For me I would rather buy a cheaper brand. So when the motor or impeller gets worn out, noisy or slow-down I just go and get new one. Everything is new, pipes,tubes,forms etc there no need to wash dirty stuff.

But I did persuaded a friend (who has money) to get a Eheim 2028 pro II. 1 year passed still working fine.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    have a 2226 working for 3 years no problem

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Two 2231, two 2222, one 2224, one 2250, one 2280, 1 liberty and another internal filter... all no issues.

Some have been in continuous usage for almost 5 years. The 2280 for more then a year. The rest around 2 to 3 years.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No impeller issues with my 2026, it's been running since 2001.
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I have TWO noisy 2028's... BRAND NEW...

I thought it was the impeller, but I replaced it with another and the noise is still there. BUT... the 2nd impeller could be bad too. What is the bottom of the impeller suppose to look like? Both impellers look a little imperfect to me, because they have bits of plastic on the magnet.

I have noticed that if I press the primer down just a tad the noise goes away. I was comtemplating duck taping that sucker down, but I shouldn't have to do this on such an expensive filter. I've also noticed that the noise gets louder if I decrease the flow. Could this noise be caused by anything else???

I have a 2224 and she runs silent, so I know these things run more quietly than what I've got now.

Here's another thought... my electricity... I bought a 110 volt version, but I live in Germany where they have 220 volt electricity here. I have dual voltage in my apt. AND I've also tried running it with a converter, but either way it's still noisy. I didn't buy the 220 volt version because I'll be leaving here in a year and will want to use it in the states. Do you think this difference in electricity could have anything to do with it???
    Last edited by benny; 5th Mar 2007 at 23:16. Reason: Format paragraph for easier reading

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    have you tried bringing it back to the dealer to have your 2028 checked?
    what kind of noise is heard? buzzing or ???
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I can't bring it back to the dealer I bought it from, because I bought it online. They don't sell 110 versions here in Germany. I have two of these, because the 1st one arrived with a broken canister and the company was kind enough to let me keep it for spare parts and shipped me a whole new other one the next day. Well, now I've gotten the 2nd filter and have tried both impellers and both tops, basically every combination of the two I can think of and they are BOTH noisy. By noisy I mean a loud buzzing sound; kinda like the impeller is bouncing around in there. If it isn't the impeller what the heck could it be??? There isn't anything else in there that could cause the noise is there?
    What are the odds that I got two filters with two bad impellers??? So, yes, I'm going to contact Eheim locally and see what can be done. It's just a major pain in the butt and very frustrating. The good news is that I got two filters for the price of one, but what good are they if they are so noisy they drive me nuts?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    That's weird. Does it sound like air bubbles being chopped? If it is shake the whole canister when it's switched on and properly connected. Once all the bubbles are out the canister should be silent. [I have two proII's and one leaks!]
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Nope, it isn't air bubbles either! I also have a 2224 and two old 2213's. I know the deal and most of the tricks of the trade, so this is really frustrating the heck out of me! I just got finished writing Eheim an email about it. The only other thing I can think of doing is getting a whole other replacement top, but what are the chances that BOTH of the tops I got with these filters are faulty??? That's why I'm wondering if just maybe for some freakish reason running the filter power through a transformer makes it noisy. That doesn't make sense to me, but I just can't think of anything else. I may have no other choice but to get this filter in the 220 volt version to see if it works better. Then, I'm just going to have to sell it in a year when I leave here.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi itsme6207,

Do keep us updated.

I have previously written to Eheim Germany and found them to be very helpful. And since you are located in Germany, it should be even easier.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've 2 units 2028, 4 units 2026, all working well for few years except 1 unit 2026 creates a bit noise but still working alright.
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Eheim is sending me a new impeller. It should be here today. I'm just nervous that it isn't the impeller now. I sent a 2nd email to Eheim explaining how two impellers haven't stopped the noise and asked them some other questions and I have not heard back from them about that email. I'll wait until I get this new impeller and go from there.

Worst case scenario is that I just take it into an aquarium store around here and have them activate the warranty on it for me, OR... I return the dang thing to the store I bought it from online and buy something else.

I'll keep you posted.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Hey Star-flog -
    When you go to slow down the flow rate of your 2028 by pushing that middle piece backwards, does your filter then rattle quite a bit, or is it still silent?
    I got my new impeller from Eheim today and it worked... for about 3 hours! When I 1st installed it and heard very little noise I was so relieved and happy that I wrote Eheim and thanked them. Well, after a few hours I'm back to the drawing board because the rattle is back, although it isn't as loud as it was before. But, it is obnoxiously loud when I slow down the flow rate.
    I just wrote Eheim another email stating my problem, so we'll see what they say next, if anything. I'm beyond frustrated at this moment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    In my case, the impeller's white plastic separated from the magnet - about a year into use.
    I have a the same problem. Brought it to LFS (C32 and was advised that I just need to glue it back. Seems like a common problem.

I just glued it back with plumber's glue and its running well again.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast