Country
    Singapore

Serious algae problems!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

i having alot of Web green algea growing on top of my ricca , heard anti-biotic for fever can clear it away is that true?

Or anyone bro & sis can advice. thks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is the first time I am hearing it.
    Do you have any algae crew in your tank?
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it's a case of blue green algae. Most algae eaters won't even touch it as it stinks. It's a kind of cyno bacteria.

Do a search for it in our forums for some interesting read.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bossteck View Post
    This is the first time I am hearing it.
    Do you have any algae crew in your tank?

i got 3 types of algea eater total 9 of them.....they have cleared my hair algea but just dunno why they don't touch the web algea

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    try using Algae Remover by VISTA. It's quite effective, stock are running low, but i manage 2 get at C328, not many left.

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    I think it's a case of blue green algae. Most algae eaters won't even touch it as it stinks. It's a kind of cyno bacteria.

Do a search for it in our forums for some interesting read.

Cheers,
    Try Chanos Chanos. It is used as a baitfish for shore anglers here, and it is a hardy fish that lives in both pure fresh water and salt (with proper acclimatisation). Best of all, it is reputed to eat BGA or cyanobacteria.

More info : http://www.spc.int/aquaculture/site/..._name=Milkfish
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by GaspingGurami View Post
    Try Chanos Chanos. It is used as a baitfish for shore anglers here, and it is a hardy fish that lives in both pure fresh water and salt (with proper acclimatisation). Best of all, it is reputed to eat BGA or cyanobacteria.

More info : http://www.spc.int/aquaculture/site/..._name=Milkfish
    where can get this type of fish? how much?

Quote Originally Posted by puffer07 View Post
    try using Algae Remover by VISTA. It's quite effective, stock are running low, but i manage 2 get at C328, not many left.

thanks for advice....so how they are selling?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If its BGA (blue-green-algae A.K.A cynobacteria), [You can use AQ's algae gallery section to identify the algae you have (click here)] try the blackout method. I had BGA before and tried this method out, not only is it free, but works too.

I am not sure about the antibiotic method but heard it works too but adverse effects are that your beneficial bacteria can be affected.

1. Clean up as much BGA ask you can manually (siphon it out) and clean your filters.
    2. If you are using CO2, turn it off, drop an airstone in the middle of the tank
    3. Cover your tank with layers of newspaper or black trashbags and ensure no form of light (natural or artificial) can penetrate.
    4. Wait for 3 days, ensure that you don't take a peek or attempt to feed your fish during these 3 days.
    5. After day 3, remove the newspapers, you'll notice no BGA, do a 50% water change, clean up your filters and re-dose your ferts.

If its not BGA and if you do identify the algae to be another sort, do a search of it and you'll find many good read-ups from fellow members.

By the way, I washed my filter media with aged water I left standing for a week or so.
    Last edited by benny; 19th Jan 2007 at 16:15. Reason: merge post
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for advice, will try this method
    Last edited by benny; 19th Jan 2007 at 16:15.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The tank shut down method is very useful. I always practice that! haha....

Hey puffer07, the algae remover by vista is really good??? Can clear what algae??
    Last edited by benny; 22nd Jan 2007 at 19:04. Reason: HORRIBLE SPELLING!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tango907 View Post
    Hi all,

i having alot of Web green algea growing on top of my ricca , heard anti-biotic for fever can clear it away is that true?

Antibiotic name erythromycin, hope i spell correct.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tango907 View Post
    Hi all,

Try to get rid of the BGA affected plants as much as possibe. Riccia grows back quickly.

I did try the antibiotic erythromycin before after reading this article. It worked for me. I have not tried the blackout method before since no more occurence.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox View Post
    If its BGA (blue-green-algae A.K.A cynobacteria), [You can use AQ's algae gallery section to identify the algae you have (click here)] try the blackout method. I had BGA before and tried this method out, not only is it free, but works too.

I am not sure about the antibiotic method but heard it works too but adverse effects are that your beneficial bacteria can be affected.

1. Clean up as much BGA ask you can manually (siphon it out) and clean your filters.
    2. If you are using CO2, turn it off, drop an airstone in the middle of the tank
    3. Cover your tank with layers of newspaper or black trashbags and ensure no form of light (natural or artificial) can penetrate.
    4. Wait for 3 days, ensure that you don't take a peek or attempt to feed your fish during these 3 days.
    5. After day 3, remove the newspapers, you'll notice no BGA, do a 50% water change, clean up your filters and re-dose your ferts.

If its not BGA and if you do identify the algae to be another sort, do a search of it and you'll find many good read-ups from fellow members.

By the way, I washed my filter media with aged water I left standing for a week or so.

I think my Riccias and moss having the same problem too besides hair algae... The riccia that growing touching the tank wall I can see it become shady green.....
    My tank is loaded with fauna, will full blackout kill my fishes even I have an airstone in it?

So I need to totally cover up in clude top part also right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi alex76,

The fauna will not die. Just drop an airstone into your tank. You don't have to feed them during the blackout period.

Yes, the blackout includes covering the top side of the tank as well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox View Post
    Hi alex76,

The fauna will not die. Just drop an airstone into your tank. You don't have to feed them during the blackout period.

Yes, the blackout includes covering the top side of the tank as well.
    ok... tahkns for advice..... will immediately try that ... hope it works

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi,
    I used to have a serious problem in my newly setup tank, with an algae bloom until they looked like plumes of long beards swaying in the water currents !

Then I introduced a small army of Yamato Numa Ebi shrimps. The results were spectacular as I saw them literally set upon the algae tearing the algae with their tiny pincers and shoving the algae into their mouths.
    The algae was drastically reduced after a few days.

You might want to consider using them to help u with your algae blooms.
    Cheers !
    compass

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Its Depend on what type of algae in your tank. Yamato Numa Ebi shrimps does not eat all type of algae.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Namely, BBA, staghorn/hair algae. If you're talking about BGA (blue-green algae / cynobacteria) so far nothing eats that up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Smile

yes, not hard to imagine why no one wants to eat the slimy smelly blue/green type......lucky mine were the hair algae....

Thanks for the info.
    8-)
    compass