Singapore

Smile Moss for the Vivarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Need a little help here...

I have collected some moss from around my estate... and am hoping to use it for my vivarium... Do I need to clean the moss before I put it into the viavrium? And how would I do that?

I had put dried sphagnum moss before getting live moss, but they started to grow some mould ... and I thought it might not be too healthy for my tree frogs...

Would really appreciate any other suggestions as to how I can do this?

Thanks
    Pam

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mould?? Is there good air circulation for your vivarium? The dried spagnum moss should turn green with algae instead of turning mouldy... Throw the moss away if it really is mouldy...

You can place the collected moss on a water absorbing substrate so that it will turn dry easily... Which is not easy anyway, if the vivarium is working well...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the tip.

Just that for the live moss that I have collected. Do I need it to clean it before i put it into the vivarium?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There's no need to. Unless you cannot tolerate soil in your tank... OR the area where you collected the moss was sprayed with insecticide or chlorine powder before you collect the moss...

But, do note that not washing means you can introduce some insects into your tank. I personally don't mind as it makes the tank more natural...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks so much!

By the way, would you know what type of night lighting would be best for frogs?

some say red / blue light is ok?