Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Anyone DIY LED lightings?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Sorry guys but does anyone of you ever DIY LED for planted? anyone can advise?

Cheers!
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, you can get a strip of LEDs which is all assembled and ready to use at Sim Lim Towers basement, Space Electronics....a strip of 20 or 30 LEDs only cost $2*....comes in white, blue and other colors too...

I'm using it on my breeding tanks, very good moonlight effect
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OMG! so cool! Should go down to have a look one day. Which floor is the shop on?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its in the basement...look for space electronics, its quite a spacious shop where they display the different LEDs.....cheap and working great!
    Aquatic Dreams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile any DIY LED lightimgs?

Thanks Bro for the advise. But how about the connection?? Sorry i'm not a wire guy...

Thanks and cheers!!
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking Help needed with DIY lighting

Dear planted Tankies,

I read quite a few posting on DIY lighting.

Can i humbly seek the expertise of all the sifus' out there on the finer details of DIY esp when it comes it wiring. since I don't want to end up buring my house and my entire collection of MBTs & APCs models down, i need guidance.

The intended set will be for a 64" x 20" x 24" tank. Concept is amazon. anyone can hlp??

Thanks!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The ready made plug-and-play strip of LEDs comes together with a 2 pin plug...
    Aquatic Dreams

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw a panel being sold too. It's on my blog page. Wonder where to buy. http://thedeepone.blogspot.com/2006/...t-to-zhng.html

Also I have an E27 LED spotlight bulb. It didn't work like I expected, but it still was quite nice in providing spot lighting at night. LED lightbulbs are expensive. 20 dollars! However it's cool that it didn't emit heat.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: DIY Lighting system

Cacatuoides,

Thanks for the advise.

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

You might want to do some research on the penetrative power of LEDs.
    Personal opinion, it is good for moonlight or for seeing your fishes at night, but if you plan to use it for plants, then probably some more 'homework' needs to be done.

I believe one guy going by the nick on Gomer (if I remember correctly) in another forum, aquaticplantcentral did some experiment comparing plant growth powered by LED and PL. You might want to look for the post. Compare his setup against what you have in mind then decide if LED are suitable. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...eon-stars.html

Cheers!
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I checked with some people online. It seems that LEDs are not really bright enough and you need some of the more expensive 'super bright' LEDs in order to get a proper panel done. I think it's do-able but not commercially viable at this point in time.

The boss at sim lim basement quoted me a 200 dollars for a custom 1 ft panel setup.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Well, i've got no problem with the LEDs cos i've got quite a bit left over from a LED birthday card that i did for a female friend of my. Furthermore, mi father-in-law has got plenty of super bright LEDs cos he's in the marine industry. he stores up plenty of those in his 3 rm flat.

but more importantly, i just need the LEDs to light up my tank after dark so i can "spy" on fish to see who's bullying who...

But my project amazon has hit the walls...

"S4" don't agree...

Guess got to wait another day before i resubmit my "application"...

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually if that's the case, then just rig up an E27 light bulb socket and buy a E27 socket light bulb or light bulbs from sim lim tower - those give off the equal of about a 7-9 watt power saving florescent. It's 20 bucks for one though. I used that as a night light too, but diffused the light by wrapping tissue paper around the bulb.

Or if you really want night light, buy an E14 socket from ikea and a 7w small light bulb, and wrap it in blue wrapping. Can try, but may be ugly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

It is possible to do LED light for planted tank, but it might not be cost effective.

I have went to a project shop to check it out before. The "designer" over there explain to me the details.

He told me that most people do up LED light is to conserve electicity. It is either use in normal fish only tank or marine tank to simulate moonlight.

He also explain to me the different grade of LED. It can be classified broadly as normal or industrial grade LED. If you want to use it for planted tank, industrial grade LED should be used as it can last longer. LED will only last longer if it is blinking fequently. It will "burn out" pretty fast if constantly on.

As for industrial grade LED, there is also different colour range of white. He show me a sample of a set of LED light he design for marine tank. Though all are LED, they produce different tone of white. hence in order to get the same white tone, you need to ask the manufacturer to pre select.

Then finally I ask him the price of pre selected white LED, he say it cost about SGD15 - 20 bucks each. And he mention that if you wana create a light intensity good enough for a planted tank, it will cost you a bomb. Hence, he advise me to better drop the idea. He told me that there are quite afew planted guys like us who approach him for such project without success as it is not cost effective.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    Well, i've got no problem with the LEDs cos i've got quite a bit left over from a LED birthday card that i did for a female friend of my. Furthermore, mi father-in-law has got plenty of super bright LEDs cos he's in the marine industry. he stores up plenty of those in his 3 rm flat.

but more importantly, i just need the LEDs to light up my tank after dark so i can "spy" on fish to see who's bullying who...

But my project amazon has hit the walls...

"S4" don't agree...

Guess got to wait another day before i resubmit my "application"...

Cheers!!
    As Altum_lover76 is just using the LED light for spying purpose, it shouldn't post much problem in costing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire
    ......However it's cool that it didn't emit heat.
    LED do emit heat but in the opposite direction of light being emitted. amount of heat depends on current consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by bossteck
    ......You might want to do some research on the penetrative power of LEDs.
    should not a problem to penetrate a 2ft tank. depends on intensity as well as reflector used.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire
    ......expensive 'super bright' LEDs in order to get a proper panel done. I think it's do-able but not commercially viable at this point in time.
    not as simple as flourescent-based diy. super bright LEDs emit a lot of heat at the backside. you'll need a properly designed printed circuit board to mount the LED and heat sink to dissipate the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by [C]irRuS View Post
    ......different grade of LED. It can be classified broadly as normal or industrial grade LED. If you want to use it for planted tank, industrial grade LED should be used as it can last longer. LED will only last longer if it is blinking fequently. It will "burn out" pretty fast if constantly on.
    so far LED manufacturers claims that their LED are usable for industrial, automotive, outdoors and etc ... and do not divide them into normal and industrial grades.
    switching LED on constantly and keeping it cool will not shorten/burn out the LED. switching LED on constantly and running it hot will shorten the LED life. blinking a LED does not help to extend life further unless the LED is being operated at much higher current levels and the blinking interval is designed to keep the LED cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by [C]irRuS View Post
    ......Though all are LED, they produce different tone of white. hence in order to get the same white tone, you need to ask the manufacturer to pre select.
    LED manufacturers do sort LEDs into brightness and colour bins. so there is no need for special request. all LEDs comes in reels and in the same reel, they will have relatively same colour and brightness. and manufacturers only 'entertain' special request if one is able to commit 1 million units per month order.

currently, LED is still not cost effective and you'll need more skill to design and build one.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks thomas on your sharing.

Arrpeciate that!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tawauboy View Post
    LED do emit heat but in the opposite direction of light being emitted. amount of heat depends on current consumption.

should not a problem to penetrate a 2ft tank. depends on intensity as well as reflector used.

not as simple as flourescent-based diy. super bright LEDs emit a lot of heat at the backside. you'll need a properly designed printed circuit board to mount the LED and heat sink to dissipate the heat.

so far LED manufacturers claims that their LED are usable for industrial, automotive, outdoors and etc ... and do not divide them into normal and industrial grades.
    switching LED on constantly and keeping it cool will not shorten/burn out the LED. switching LED on constantly and running it hot will shorten the LED life. blinking a LED does not help to extend life further unless the LED is being operated at much higher current levels and the blinking interval is designed to keep the LED cooler.

LED manufacturers do sort LEDs into brightness and colour bins. so there is no need for special request. all LEDs comes in reels and in the same reel, they will have relatively same colour and brightness. and manufacturers only 'entertain' special request if one is able to commit 1 million units per month order.

currently, LED is still not cost effective and you'll need more skill to design and build one.

Wow! Thomas seems to be an expert in LED. So I think I am being con by the man who is designing the circuit in the project shop. Hehe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    i am not a expert in LED. however, if you have any questions, i may be able to help.

current state of affairs; LED cannot replace fluorescent due to economic reasons. the luminous efficacies of LED and fluorescent are similar so you don't really have much savings. maybe in another 3~5 years.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks once again thomas...

Would like to meet you one of this days to learn from you...

Cheers!!