Country
    Singapore

Ember Tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quixotic, Thanks for sharing.

Three of them are smaller in size but richer in colour, should be male. The rest should should be female because they are much lighter in colour and "fat".

Shadow, mine don't school that often. Not too sure why. May be not enough quantity.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One question, how do i identify an ember tetra in the aquarium shop as they are usually not that rich in color initally?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Ask the LFS? Ember tetra is the trade name, so LFS will normally identify them with that name.

FYI, their scientific name is Hypherssobrycon amandae.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    opps, i meant apart from asking LFS, wonder if there is any traits to look out for in the uncolored ember, because sometimes cant really differentiate between different species of tetras. Thanks.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 8th Dec 2007 at 13:47. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Burnz, the fish grows to around 2cm SL (standard length = from snout to base of caudal fin).

Here is a close-up image (courtesy of hwchoy) for your reference.

Go with the size, the patch on the dorsal fin, the shape of the snout and fins, this fish should be pretty recognisable.

In case you are not too familiar and may confuse tetras with boraras/rasboras, tetras generally have an adipose fin which is absent in boraras/rasboras.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ah, that picture was great help Quixotic, thank you. now that i can be almost sure of Ember tetra when i see one, i can ponder over what other species of fish i can mix with it in my tank. Kind of hard to decide
    Last edited by Quixotic; 9th Dec 2007 at 19:33. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Country
    Israel

Re: Ember Tetra

waking up an old post.. whoow, lot's of dust

I bought 20 Ember and 20 Ruby. They are so tiney that Amano Shrimp are trying to hunt them down! Not even mentioning the huge Mollies! wouldn't be a smart idea keeping them (Mollies), i guess.
    I think that the softer the water are, the better they feel thus showing their amazing color.
    Sadly, I don't have a RO system. But they are in a heavily planted tank.

What do you think about my speculation regarding the RO system?

P.S. I'll update on their coloration if you wish.

Thanks.

I have bred Ember Tetras several times so I have had the opportunity to see them at every stage. They prefer soft, acid water but unless breeding them is important to you they will thrive in water with a pH of 7.4, KH 6 and GH 8.
    TDS 350 ppm and 80*F +/- 2*F.
    If you feed them newly hatched brine shrimp a few times a week it will bring out their colors. They eat frozen blood worms just fine.
    I raise about 100 each time I spawn a trio and sometimes more.
    They begin to color up when sstill quite small. Males are very much more slender than females, a deeper shade of red-orange and about 2/3 as long as adult females.
    They are a hardy Tetra and very easy to keep. A nice combination is Ember Tetras with Green Neon Tetras. They are close in size but school in different and segregated areas for the most part. They school best in large groups but actually few Tetras truly school except when frightened. most form loose groups with each fish going about it's business while watching it's mates for signals of danger. that is when they tighten up their group and resort to true schooling behavior.
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Israel

Quote Originally Posted by apistomaster View Post
    I have bred Ember Tetras several times so I have had the opportunity to see them at every stage. They prefer soft, acid water but unless breeding them is important to you they will thrive in water with a pH of 7.4, KH 6 and GH 8.
    TDS 350 ppm and 80*F +/- 2*F.
    If you feed them newly hatched brine shrimp a few times a week it will bring out their colors. They eat frozen blood worms just fine.
    I raise about 100 each time I spawn a trio and sometimes more.
    They begin to color up when sstill quite small. Males are very much more slender than females, a deeper shade of red-orange and about 2/3 as long as adult females.
    They are a hardy Tetra and very easy to keep. A nice combination is Ember Tetras with Green Neon Tetras. They are close in size but school in different and segregated areas for the most part. They school best in large groups but actually few Tetras truly school except when frightened. most form loose groups with each fish going about it's business while watching it's mates for signals of danger. that is when they tighten up their group and resort to true schooling behavior.
    That was a great knowledgeable post!
    A few questions:
    Presuming I have no intentions of breeding these guys (I have other fish such as cherry barbs that might be in the way. PS the Mollies are out the tank) – would they show their outstanding colors at KH 11-12?? That is my tank's KH rating, the same as my filtered tap water.. I'd like to mention that I have bought a RO system just 2 days ago and I am taking the time understanding the adjustments I'll have to make (as far as fertilizing, water changes, CO2, PH etc' goes).
    I've been feeding them shredded pieces of Tetra Pro Colour and NLS Small Fish Formula.
    Either taking the water KH in account or not, do you think that live food (such as

Katrinex frozen fish food) will help the colors burst and that's what I've been missing?
    Another variable mght be their age. They are pretty small now, about 1cm at max.
    Is that a factor to their colors appearance in the way that as they grow their colors come out?
    Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12