Images
    Country
    Singapore

How to make cardinals glow?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Ever notice why those cardinals that are meant for sales always look so pale in coloor as compared to those that they showcased in their display tanks? Is it the food that they ate or the water parameters or simply a different grade.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My bet is on the level of stress.

In a sale tank, the fish will naturally be more stressed, due to the smaller tank space, as well as lack of hiding place. Compare this to the tank condition in a show tank, where there're plenty of plants to provide cover.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some fish can turn pale when stressed. Besides, LFS aquariums are not exactly very nice places to be in, if you're a fish, you're squeezed with about a hundred others in the same tank with very little place to hide and you get traumatized everyday by big green nets snatching away your tankmates away every other hour. It's a wonder they don't just jump out and die.

In my experience with tetras, don't overfeed, don't overstock the tank and have plenty of vegetation and change water regularly. They would grow nice and fat and red.

Besides, you don't really want to pick out lousy fish for your display aquarium if you're operating an LFS right?
    Last edited by Justikanz; 29th Jan 2007 at 13:41. Reason: 'exp'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, stress is the main casue for all fishes to turn pale or "black".

For Tetra, I think the lighting have some effects too but I have yet to try

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I fully agree with Sunfire on his statement:

'In my experience with tetras, don't overfeed, don't overstock the tank and have plenty of vegetation and change water regularly. They would grow nice and fat and red.'

My cardinal tetras which I bought from C328 are beaming with colours in my tank. My tank maintenance routine include 25% weekly water change and plenty of plants for them to take cover...
    David Lim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    pH also plays a part in bringing out the color of these tetra when you've conditioned them properly.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi all. my question here may not be related BUT just want to check if its safe to use those "black light" for planted aquarium? I saw a lfs @ bedok using it in a tank full of cardinals.....very nice....
    Last edited by ronald_t80; 16th Feb 2007 at 12:56. Reason: spelling
    Aquascaping = Physics + Chemistry + Art.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    also do not forget that like most characins, cardinal tetra displays a "night coloration" which is basically pale version of their day colours. Some characins like pencilfishes can display a distinct pattern (e.g. stripe changing into bars) during day and night.

Quote Originally Posted by ronald_t80 View Post
    hi all. my question here may not be related BUT just want to check if its safe to use those "black light" for planted aquarium? I saw a lfs @ bedok using it in a tank full of cardinals.....very nice....
    this "black light" is it a UV lamp?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think its a UV lamp.....the uncle said its those light people use to check our currency notes type.
    Wonder isit harmful to the fish or plants?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought my cardinals in a bag of 50 and they seriously don't look like cardinals at all when in the bag with weird yellow coloured water. I guess it was medicine. They were all pale and whitish. But 1 hour after introduction into my planted tank, they looked like cardinals already! Solid blue and red stripes.

Anyway, from my observation, they tend to prefer slightly dimmer lights and also warmer coloured lights. ea. 6500K. They tend to lose their colouring when under stronger lights and bluer lights ea. 8000K and above. Well at least its so for my cardinals.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the addition of Dennerle S7, essential trace elements and vitamins, help boost the fish immunity and appetite.....it helps bring out the color of the fish too!!
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dennerle S7

Yep...i agreed with Cacatuoides, S7 can also be use if you want your fish to mate...especially for apistoes . BUT heard from some lfs that Dennerle stuff have rise price liao...
    Last edited by Justikanz; 22nd Feb 2007 at 13:27. Reason: Remote immediate quote

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not sure about the point of mating but many fish lovers have used it to enhance their fish colors....especially for arowanas and various cichlids....

Haven't got news about Dennerle raising their price, is it just one lfs that you saw the increased in price?
    Last edited by Justikanz; 22nd Feb 2007 at 13:27. Reason: Removing immediate quotation
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

rise price

Yep yep....positive about the price rise. Too bad i cant put the price here BUT i can said it rise around another 25-30%....do your maths....hehe
    Last edited by Justikanz; 22nd Feb 2007 at 13:27. Reason: Removing immediate quotation