Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: All about Microsorum (56k warning)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

All about Microsorum (56k warning)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, how many Microsorum species do you know? Are there still many species than what I have listed here? Thanks

All information are taken from Tropica homepage.

1. Microsorum pteropus

Family Polypodiaceae
    Continent Asia
    Region
    Country of origin
    Height 15-30 cm
    Width 12-20+ cm
    Light requirements very low-high
    Temperature 18-30 °C
    Hardness tolerance very soft-hard
    pH tolerance 5-8
    Growth slow
    Demands very easy

Microsorum pteropus is a water fern which should be grown on a root or stone, attached with fishing line until it has gained a hold. If it is planted in the bottom, do not cover the rhizome because it will rot. Easy to propagate by splitting the horizontal rhizome. A hardy plant which grows in all conditions. The black spots under the leaves are sporangia (reproductive organs), not signs of disease as many believe.

2. Microsorum pteropus "Windelov"

Family Polypodiaceae
    Continent Asia, Cultivar
    Region Cultivar
    Country of origin Cultivar
    Height 10-20 cm
    Width 12-18+ cm
    Temperature 18-30 °C
    pH tolerance 5-8
    Growth slow
    Demands very easy

Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv' is a patented variety of M. pteropus, named after Tropica's founder Holger Windeløv. Its finely branched leaf tips make it one of the most beautiful aquarium plants. A hardy and easy plant for both beginners and the more experienced. Best results are obtained by planting it on a stone or tree root. If planted in the bottom the horizontal rhizome must not be covered. This plant is not eaten by herbivorous fish.

3. Microsorum pteropus "Undulata"

Family Polypodiaceae
    Continent Asia
    Region
    Country of origin Thailand
    Height 10-35 cm
    Width 10-25 cm
    Temperature 18-30 °C
    Hardness tolerance very soft-very hard
    pH tolerance 5-8
    Growth slow
    Demands very easy

Variety of Microsorum pteropus with wide, wavy-edged light green leaves. In most conditions the plant grows appreciably larger than Microsorum pteropus, and is therefore best suited to larger aquariums. The plant was originally found in southern Thailand. See also Microsorum pteropus.

4. Microsorum pteropus "Narrow"

Family Polypodiaceae
    Continent Asia
    Region
    Country of origin
    Height 10-20 cm
    Width 10-20 cm
    Temperature 18-30 °C
    pH tolerance 5-8
    Growth slow
    Demands very easy

Microsorum pteropus is a highly variable species, and new varieties are easily bred. M. pteropus ''Narrow'' has narrower leaves, which grow at a less acute angle from the stem than the normal M. pteropus. The plant attaches readily to roots and stones. A decorative plant, which is also suitable for smaller aquariums. See also Microsorum pteropus.

5. Microsorum pteropus "Phillipine"

Family Polypodiaceae
    Continent Asia
    Region
    Country of origin Philippines
    Height 10-30 cm
    Width 10-20 cm
    Temperature 18-30 °C
    pH tolerance 5-8
    Growth slow
    Demands very easy

Variety of Microsorum pteropus with strikingly beautiful long, slender 'hammered out' leaves. Microsorum pteropus ''Philippine'' grows readily on roots and stones, but can also be planted directly on the bottom - but not too deep. The plant is hardy and also suitable for larger aquariums. It is tolerant of salt, and originated from the island of Panay in the Philippines, where it grows right out in the tidal river mouth and thrives both below and above water. See also Microsorum pteropus.

6. Microsorum pteropus "Red"

Family Polypodiaceae
    Continent Asia
    Region
    Country of origin Thailand
    Height 10-30 cm
    Width 10-20 cm
    Temperature 18-30 °C
    pH tolerance 5-8
    Growth slow
    Demands very easy

Variety of Microsorum pteropus characterised under good growing conditions by new leaves with a reddish brown colour. The leaves turn greener as they age. The leaves are longer and broader than the standard variety of Microsorum pteropus. An impressive plant, also in larger aquariums. Originally found in southern Thailand. See also Microsorum pteropus.

7. Microsorum pteropus "Taiwan" or Microsorum pteropus "Needle leaves"

8. Microsorum pteropus "Tropica"

Family Polypodiaceae
    Continent Cultivar , Asia
    Region Cultivar
    Country of origin Cultivar
    Height 15-50 cm
    Width 15-30+ cm
    Temperature 18-30 °C
    pH tolerance 5-8
    Growth slow
    Demands easy

Microsorum pteropus 'Tropica' grows fast and is bigger than M. pteropus. Highly distinctive, with dentate leaves. Older leaves are sometimes lobate (up to 5 cm lobes). M. pteropus 'Tropica' has been bred by and named after the Tropica nursery in Denmark. Microsorum pteropus 'Tropica' is patented and may only be produced commercially by licence. A beautiful solitary plant for large aquariums.
    Last edited by ragn4rok; 30th Jan 2007 at 10:44.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice pics, Ragn4rok.
    Im a big fan of ferns myself.
    Microsorum pteropus "Phillipine" and Microsorum pteropus "Undulata" is not really common in Singapore.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    What about the unofficial ones like "Reverse Tropica" and "Split Narrow Leaf"?

I have not heard of any updated conclusions on these, but are these for real? Anyone?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Reverse tropica I've not seen, but split narrow leaf should be quite common amongst those who keep narrow leaf Java fern. It seems to be a natural phenomenon. Here's mine, freshly taken a few minutes ago:

This one is of a split at the tip:

And this one is of a rather obvious split:

And yea... I'm having a case of green dust on the tank walls.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Great thread, split ends happens when the plant is mature. I have some that were planted from spore that took about a year to split ends.
    They split more than two, sometimes looking almost like a windelov multi branch split.

Jeffrey, I've grown all the ones you've shown except M pteropus sp narrow and red. Both looks very attractive.

Personally my favourite is the needle leaf which i call narrow leaf! I noticed that some have undulating leaves while some are just flat needles. Perhaps that's another variant.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have a batch of really nice looking (to me) Java fern that I recall were bought from NA. They really looked like Java fern Philippine. But that's doubtful because I bought them cheap

I've since sold them off. I've heard and agree with the guys at the old LFS Gratiola... Java fern has lots of forms.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Hi Stan, almost all my microsorum came from Tropica, including the narrow one. It's different from what you called "narrow" there. I have been told by my friend too that actually my Microsorum needle is called M. narrow in Singapore. And that's make me think how does real M. pteropus "needle leaves" look like. Anyone care to share?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Jeffrey, I think the one you call needle is called narrow here[ M'sia] and in Singapore.
    The one you call narrow is somewhat not as wide as the normal Java fern. This one I've seen twice but I wasn't convinced it's different from the normal Java fern.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I would agree with Stan. The narrow leaf that I got are a lot closer to the pictures of needle leaf. Have not seen anything that is wider than our narrow leaf and resembles your narrow picture.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sometimes i wonder if some of them are actually the same , like M.pteropus "needle" and M.pteropus "Narrow". It depends on the water parameters that make them looked different.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There is difference. The width of the leaves are different.

I have both of them before in my tank.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Anyone has an aquascape of java ferns only? Do post here and let us get some inspiration. A shoal of harlequins in a large tank of java fern has always been my dream. Saw one in The Natural Aquarium by Satoshi Yoshino and Doshin Kobayashi, it's that one that started me off on planted tanks 10 years ago.

Some how never got much success getting the normal java fern to grow until that of the first picture. Normally they just stay more and propogate with smaller ones. Any advice? Windelov was an easier success though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a java fern scape. Not too ready to show

Try not to have to much lights but a little sunlight (about 2 hours) will be great. A little potassium will help. Slightly bigger bioload does help since Java do better with larger amount of NH4. I also notice that grows better with Slightly stronger water current (Not whirlpool though)
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Philippines
    hi,just want to ask what is the optimum growth water condition of java?is it hard or soft water?thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Both hard or soft water are okay. Just be careful of the water temperature. Too high, you get rotting java. This means pulling those dying ones out. Else the rest get affected.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist