Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Recent Photos

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hahaha,

that tumbler is for me to drip kalk at night!

Feedback Score
    It that a temperature controller? If it is where can i get it?

Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It is indeed a masterpiece tank. Very nice.

One question, where can I get de-nitrator locally in singapore ? And what is the price for that ? And is it suitable for small tank with many fish ?

Hi,

it is a temp controller, can get at Sim Lim Square basement. As for the Denitrator, it will definitely work on a small tank. Mine is a 55 gal with pretty high bio-load, 14 fishes, inverts and lots of corals. Nitrate dwon from 100+ to nil. I got mine at Aquamart, its a Aquamedic brand for around $245/-. Must watch the drip rate very carefully when setting up!

Cheers![:]

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    very chiem... [:]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to confirm, is Aquamart beside Reborn ? And is there any danger to use denitrator or just a simple process by controlling the drip rate ? Please enlighten...thanks

Well,

usage of a denitrator must be done carefully. For it to function properly, it must be in the zone where there is "almost" no oxygen in the water for it to convert nitrate to hydrogen gas. Too much oxygen, you get back your nitrites from nitrate, no oxygen and you get hydrogen sulphate[] , just nice, you get zero nitrate. So you must adjust your drip rate to suit your tank. My advice is to use a high pressure dedicated pump to feed your denitrator to ensure continuous trouble free flow of water. Previously, I used a tee-off from my chiller return before I bought a dedicated pump. Quite often, I came home to a near non-dripping denitrator with horrible rotten egg smelling hydrogen sulphate going into the tank. Luckily, my tank has close to 20X turnover so everything was still ok.

Er... I hope this helps![]

Feedback Score
    cedric: i'm in luv wif ur tank.... wish mine looks half as gd as urs....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cedric,

Do you have other denitrator brands that you strongly recommend ? []

There are quite a few brands in the market. SERA, AZOO, Macro, etc. The reason why I choose Aquamedic is the use of Deniballs over daily feeding of the bacteria for other brands.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That mean use aquamedic with the deniball, you don't need to feed the bacterial. Another words, once set up the denitrator, nature will take it course and no further maintenance is needed ?

Can I have the full name of the model you are using. I'm keen to give a try.

It is more or less maintance free. However, you still have to watch the drip rate. The model is Denitrator 400. Should be around $230+/-

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cedric, what is the recommended drip rate after you have experienced for your set up? Or what is your drip rate now per minutes ?

Feedback Score
    Hi Cedric,

- Simply amazing ! I was initially into Planted Tank, have 2 of them. Now, I have decommissioned one of them and is going to start a Marine Tank soon. I think I really have alot to learn from you, all the 'Terminalogy' used in Marine is different from Planted Tank. Guessed it would take me some time to figured out how your Marine Tank works !

Cheers
    Marlin

Absolutely beautiful, Cedric.. Very good job..
    I''m going crazy, but that''s okay.. They know me there..

Hi Clownfish,

the recommended drip rate Aquamedic was 1 drop per sec. However, I realised that it varies with your bio load. I had to increase mine to 3 drops per sec. The way I fine tune is to adjust the drip rate just above getting hydrogen sulphate. Er... you understand?

Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not so. Do you have the actual picture of your denitrator and if you are free, can you scan the instruction to let me take a look ?

Me really keen getting one (but will be my late pay day). The reason I need denitrator because you just imagine the bio load I have:

1 x flame angel
    1 x majestic angel (juvenile)
    2 x GS maroon clown (potential pair)
    3 x normal pecular clown
    1 x dotty back
    1 x yellow tang (about 2 to 2.5 inches length)
    1 x fat blue devil damsel (ha ha ha...)

1 x cleaner shrimp
    1 x blood shrimp
    1 x boxer shrimp
    1 x purple lobster

about 5crabs
    1x star fish

few mushroom
    1 hammer
    few star polyps
    25 kg live rock

And all that in a 30x18x18 inches volume tank but I use 2 filter to do the job

All my parameters are OK except nitrate which made me change water every weeks and now the nitrate is about 20 to 30 ppm.

Here it is!

Operation manual
    for the AQUA MEDIC Mini Nitratereductor

Denitrification filter for sea and freshwater aquaria up to 200 litres.

With the purchase of this Mini Nitratereductor, you have selected a quality instrument. It has been developed especially for aquaristic purposes and has been tested by professionals.

With this filter, you will be able, if used correctly, to diminish the nitrate content of your aquarium water to a harmless level.

1. Product description

The AQUA MEDIC Mini Nitratereductor consists of

the reaction vessel (height = 30 cm, volume approx. 1.5 l).

The reaction vessel is filled with AQUA MEDIC Bactoballs. In the top of the filter, the recirculation pump (300 l/h) is placed.

One package of Denimar + Ca is delivered with the filter to feed the bacteria.
    Fig. 1: Mini Nitratereductor

1. Inflow

2. Opening for redox electrode and feeding

3. Deniballs

4. Circulation pump

5. Outflow with drop counter

2. Theory

Nitrate is coming into the aquarium via 2 different paths:

- with the tap water, with every water change or with the replacement of the evaporated water

- by biological reactions in the aquarium.

These biological reactions are responsible for the farmost biggest part of the increase of the nitrate level.

How is nitrate produced in the aquarium?

When the animals are fed with dried, living or frozen food, proteinaceous substances get into the aquarium. These are the basics of the diet for the animals. A big part of the nitrogen, from the food is however excreted into the water. This nitrogen is metabolised by bacteria, living in the aerobic filter via the toxic intermediate substances ammonium and nitrite to the less toxic nitrate. These biolochemical reactions take place in the presence of oxygen:

The bacteria Nitrosomonas oxidizes Ammonia to Nitrite, the bakterium Nitrobacter the Nitrite to Nitrate.

Ammonium + oxygen ----- > Nitrite + oxygen ----> Nitrate

(Nitrosomonas) (Nitrobacter)

In most aquaria, nitrate is the end product of bacterial metabolism and accumulates in the water.

Only higher water plants and algae are able to remove this nitrate from the aquarium water.

What is the effect of nitrate in the aquarium?

1. Overfertilization/Eutrophication. The aquarium is overfertilized, the algal growth increases and cannot be controlled any more.

2. Toxic effects to the animals. Many invertebrate animals in sea water tanks are very sensitive to higher nitrate levels.

3. Working principle of the Mini Nitratereductor

In the AQUA MEDIC Mini Nitratereductor the water is treated anaerobically. In the absence of oxygen, many bacteria are able to use nitrate as a substitute for oxygen for their metabolism.

2 NO3 ----> 3 N2 + 3 O2

2 Nitrate -----> 3 nitrogen gas + 3 oxygen

The oxygen is used for the metabolism, the nitrogen is excreted into the water. Nitrogen gas is a natural compound of the water and totally harmless.

It is however necessary to increase the metabolism of the bacteria, so that they can reduce enough nitrate. For this reason, the nitrate removing bacteria have to be fed with organic substances. The tablet feed Denimar contains organic substances, that can be used by the bacteria totally. The only waste product is CO2 .

The flow rate through the Mini Nitratereductor is very slow. This is a main difference to other aquarium filters, where the water is often treated once per hour or even more often. The water in the Mininitratereductor should have a retention time of 2-4 hours. It is however sufficient to treat it once per week. If the filter is adjusted correctly, the water leaves the filter nearly free of nitrite and nitrate.

4. Set-up of the Mini Nitratereductor

The AQUA MEDIC Mini Nitratereductor consists of a reaction vessel of 1.5l volume. To provide surface material for the bacteria, the filter is filled with AQUA MEDIC Bactoballs. They create an ideal microclimate for denitrification.

To avoid dead zones, th

Ok, let me try to explain again by giving an example:

If at 4 drop/sec I get no smell, I lower it...
    If at 3 drop/sec, I still get no smell, I lower it...
    If at 2 drop/sec, I smell faint hydrogen sulphate (rotten egg), I increase it back to 3 drop/sec and leave it there.

This is how at get my drip rate. This I'm sure is easier to understand rite?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Cedric, million thanks for your advise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast