Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help! My Apisto is looking really sick!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Unhappy Help! My Apisto is looking really sick!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

My Apistogramma cacatuoides (orange) male is really looking sick. He's looking fat and has a small white spot on top of hie head. Even yesterday he was ok but this morning I noticed him gasping for air and likes to swim close to the surface. I'll try and post a picture for a visual reference. Meanwhile, if anyone know what might be the reason and immediate steps to be taken please share your knowledge.

Regards
    Bhargav

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What's your water parameter like? Do you have effective and matured filtration?

Start with a water change and add some water conditioner. Then follow with some aquarium salt and Melafix. Make sure the water is well aerated.

What's does the white spot look like? Is it a protrusion or an open wound? Are there any other affected areas? We need more details to try to diagnose what's wrong.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Benny,
    The filter is well matured and its almost 3 months old now. The water parameters are also good (all the other inhabitants are doing great). The pH is around 4.5. I did a water change yesterday(30%), and do you want me to do it even today.

Mine is a planted tank and is it ok to add aquarium salt and melafix. I'll add an aerator immediately.

Its definitely not an open wound, a small protrusion and no other affected areas.

Here's the picture for your reference.

Regards
    Bhargav
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by benny; 31st Jan 2007 at 17:26.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From this angle, the eyes seem slightly swollen. Does he have pop eyes?

Given the situation, you might do well by separating this fish so that he can recover well. Get a small little tank (even the S$6 plastic type is fine). Put in the air stone and if necessary a small sponge filter (S$2.50). Then use 50% tank water and 50% fresh water. Add condition, salt (gradually) and melafix. You can also add some floating plants or a bunch of java moss/ferns to reduce his stress level.

See if he continues to go to the surface and monitor his feeding for the next 48 hours.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Benny, I've moved him to the hospital tank. Need to get Melafix. I'll monitor him for the next 48hrs and keep you all posted on the development.

Sorry about the angle, I've to confine him to the net and shoot with one hand, boy that was bit difficult.

Regards
    Bhargav

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From my past experience, i believe this fella might got internal parasite. As you've mentioned fat, bloated, he could have got dropsy meaning pine cone like shape and popping eyes.

A view from the top will determine that. if the scales of the fish points outwards for more than 45deg to the body, means it is.

In the middle of the body, just below the lateral line, there is a brown spot? i'm not sure what it is.

Try not to stress it out as much as possible. The yellow powder does the work too.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Benetay. I did not notice the brown spot, I'll check this and will get back. Meanwhile, what is that "yellow powder" you are referring to?

Regards
    Bhargav

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you go to C328 and ask the aunty for the yellow powder, heard rumors that it might be able to cure even internal parasite.

So far all my apisto that got internal parasite didn't make it. Sorry.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks again, I think I need to make that long trip to C328 (I live in Bedok). Lets hope for the best.

Regards
    Bhargav

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think you need to come all the way here, try yr LFS around you. It's very common, yellow powder.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bhargavs View Post
    Thanks again, I think I need to make that long trip to C328 (I live in Bedok). Lets hope for the best.

Regards
    Bhargav
    Hi Bhargav,

Since you're living at Bedok, you can get it at the LFS (Kohaku LFS) at Blk 416 Bedok North Ave 2 (the LFS right beside the UOB safe deposit bank) Just ask for the yellow powder, its about S$1.50 only.
    Last edited by grey_fox; 1st Feb 2007 at 10:12.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I do the dip treatment using yellow powder. So far, i found the yellow powder very useful for white spots. But internal parisites, sadly, similiar to benetay, non of my apisto survived when they get that.

By the way, the yellow powder is cal Befuran
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Today, one of my friend gave me a solution manufacutred by Sera. It claims that it is one stop solution for most of the external problems. Let wait and see if his condition is improving or not.

As of today, he's not floating around the surface gasping for air, he's more mid ground and moving very slowly. I did a 20% water change in his hopital tank and added 10 drops of the Sera solution. I'll keep you all posted on his development.

By the way, Benetay that brown spot you noticed is no longer there. I checked him with a small spot light this morning (may be the medication fixed it).

Regards
    Bhargav

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    dude good luck with your apisto. sad to hear its not doing so well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bhargavs, I'm glad your male apisto is recovering. Have you check your female fish and other fish? Make sure they are not infected too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Keep us updated!
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    He's showing some improvement and accepted some flakes today. Still very slow in his movement.

I checked all other fauna in the tank and they seem to be active and no visual signs of distress.

Fingers crossed.

Regards
    Bhargav