Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Riccia evolution?

Riccia evolution?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I noticed a bunch of riccia caught on my moss and growing, decided to leave it there cuz too lazy to remove. noticed much later that it had turned a darker green. when I re-did my tank, I removed it but noticed that it sank! there's no sign of algae so I don't think its covered with algae. now I"ve replanted it admidst some moss, and it's still growing, but having the same dark colour! interesting huh, now I"ve sinking riccia of a darker shade!

PS. Budak: your hairgrass is growing well, but kena some BBA oredi! heh...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its sinking riccia.. perharps most of us who ever had them experience the same thing

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if you expose the sinking riccia to stronger light, it grows back into floating riccia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There is this Tropica webpage on different riccia varieties.

BC

but the "sinking riccia" is exposed to the same light and water conditions as my other riccia which is blooming and pearling, but it doesn't grow back into the normal light green kind? And it started from the same bunch of riccia so should be the same species of riccia I think. will try to take pics to show.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My normal Riccia turns to sinking version too. But these sinking ones don't seem to change back to normal ones. And they propagate, making it harder to remove. I gave up removing them.
    If conditions are right, they will grow into a big bunch at the tank bottom and making it look like a ball of Java Moss.

Normal Riccia (left) and Sinking Riccia (darker green on right)
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

AAHHHH Finally someone believes me!!! hahaha.... but koah fong, I kind of like the sinking riccia's colour cuz more like natural grass rather than bright green normal riccia as a lawn. only prob is the sinking one doesn't pearl. Wonder why the riccia changes? Seems like a random occurance.