Country
    Singapore

DIY top-up suggestions?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

I'm going for a 1.5 week overseas trip and need some way to top-up the water on my 8 gallon tank. Because of the fan, my evaporation is quite high. I'm topping-up around 1 liter of water everyday so I'm scared by the time I come back, the fish tank is already dry if I don't put some topping-up mechanism.

Any ideas? I thinking of buying the hospital drip for the dextrose. Probably just connect it to a 2 liter water bottle.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mmramos View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm going for a 1.5 week overseas trip and need some way to top-up the water on my 8 gallon tank. Because of the fan, my evaporation is quite high. I'm topping-up around 1 liter of water everyday so I'm scared by the time I come back, the fish tank is already dry if I don't put some topping-up mechanism.

Any ideas? I thinking of buying the hospital drip for the dextrose. Probably just connect it to a 2 liter water bottle.
    Mate, try the hospital drip before but not on tank water top up. Uses it for household plants. It didn't work as well as i 1st thought so. I try to set the pinch valve to the lowest/smallest ....damn its hard, it either drop a little too slow or don't even drop at all!
    Haaa!

I still have a few left overs, pm me if you are interested? FOC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Does this mean that 1.5 weeks there is no one at home to top up water??

My 3 gallon tank evaporates 0.5 litres of water a day with fan.

So my suggestion is....if you don't mind. Use a dripping hose.

Oh, but there's chloramine in the tap water, if you don't mind that.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_chlorine.htm check this link out further.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the offer yappeyap. Since you mentioned it's tough I'll go with Sunfire's suggestion on the dripping hose. I don't mind the chlorine/etc because I actually top-up my tank straight from tap I just need to test it thoroughly just to make sure that I don't come back with a flooded living room.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hopefully the tank will evaporate faster then the topup else water will overflow...
    cannot imagine that...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well this happened in my office over a weekend. Though my water never evaporate. My filter leaked and flooded my whole cubicle floor. My tank left only with 1/4 tank of water. Surprising the green and brown spotted algae cleared out over the weekend. However, my shoal of almost 20 cardinals wiped out totally.