Images
    Country
    Singapore

Small Particles floating around

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My tank is always not crystal clear...always having some particles floating around. I think my 2235 is not enough to do a clean job for my planted 4x2x2 ft tank. May want to get a internal fliter and fix it at the other corner to clean up the particles. At the same time, it also help to circulate the water better as my fish always seem to breathe harder; the grill seem to move very fast. I think clearing the particles should help the fishes. Any recommendation? Thanks.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is it newly setup? If so, needs time for things to clear.
    Do you have the finer wool in your filter to trap fine particles?

I also have 2235 but my 4ft tank is smaller (4x1.5x1.5). I find the 2235 is quite weak after a while when things start to get clog up in the filter.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Hmmm, I gots a 4 x 1.5 x 2ft and using a 2028..also see bits of stuff floating around.

3 week old tank, but I find that the UV tube does make the water a bit clearer...

I think most of stuff floating in my tank are small bits of dead leaves etc....[]

eggz

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my 3.3'x1.5'x1.5' planted tank was on a 2231 until I switched to 2 x Ehiem 2006 internal filters. Never had a problem with particles in the water.

Are you able to determine what the particles are? If its algae, you might want to consider your nutrient balance as the cause.

Strong water flow might stir up detritus on your gravel, so slowing down or redirecting the flow may help clear the water.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/16/2002 1:22:04 PM

Is it newly setup? If so, needs time for things to clear.
    Do you have the finer wool in your filter to trap fine particles?

I also have 2235 but my 4ft tank is smaller (4x1.5x1.5). I find the 2235 is quite weak after a while when things start to get clog up in the filter.
    ----------------
    Thanks juggler. My tank is 6mths old. I have added one more fine filter media but does not seem to help. I agree with you that the 2235 is weaker especially after a while when it is cloged up. However, cleaning the filter media does regain the flow strength but never as good as the initial setup.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/16/2002 1:25:51 PM

Hmmm, I gots a 4 x 1.5 x 2ft and using a 2028..also see bits of stuff floating around.

3 week old tank, but I find that the UV tube does make the water a bit clearer...

I think most of stuff floating in my tank are small bits of dead leaves etc....[]

eggz
    ----------------
    Thought of getting the 2028 too. But, I have purchased the 2235 long time ago for my 2ft but never use it until I have upgrade to this 4 ft. Therefore, just use this 2235 and give up the idea of getting the 2028. But, as you have mentioned, you also have particles floating around? Oh no...even 2028 cannot do a great job? []
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/16/2002 1:46:29 PM

my 3.3'x1.5'x1.5' planted tank was on a 2231 until I switched to 2 x Ehiem 2006 internal filters. Never had a problem with particles in the water.

Are you able to determine what the particles are? If its algae, you might want to consider your nutrient balance as the cause.

Strong water flow might stir up detritus on your gravel, so slowing down or redirecting the flow may help clear the water.
    ----------------
    Thanks Vinz.

Thought of getting the 2206 or 2208 and I think it should help. But, just worry that it will create a strong flow and cause problem to the plant. Please enlighten.

I think the particles are not algae. I can see some dirty stuff form in the co2 reactor. It should be the same stuff which cause the particles. I'm not very sure.

I think the 2235 do not create a strong flow and thus do not stir up the detritus on the gravel. However, my two big SAE will. Wondering should I get rid of them?[]

Btw, please advise where could I get the 2008? Thought of getting one to try. Thanks.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I've read that if the water flow is too strong, the plants have a hard time grabbing the nutrients as if flows by, while algae have less of a problem with that.

When I switched to the 2006s, my algaes decreased and some plants started doing better.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 8/18/2002 1:18:32 AM

Well, I've read that if the water flow is too strong, the plants have a hard time grabbing the nutrients as if flows by, while algae have less of a problem with that.

When I switched to the 2006s, my algaes decreased and some plants started doing better.
    ----------------
    Just realised that the particles in the water is coz my filter media was really dirty. Just cleaned it today and after a couple of hours, the water was nice and clear again[]

I think a 2028 is ok if you throttle it back using an external Ehiem valve. The setup I have is to use a T-join for the outlet. From the T, one goes into the CO2 reactor, the other to a open/close valve b4 going into the tank. This way I can control the flow rate going into the reactor using the valve. It's better not to throttle back at the filter itself as it puts more stress on the pump

eggz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have bought the "filter aid" from interpet to try. This product claims to bond the fine particles to become bigger particles so that it could be trapped by the filter media. I know it is not very advisable to add chemical into the tank, but just give a try to see if it works. Anyone has tried these products before? Thanks.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tried a similar product, "Super Crystal clear". Not very good a use! Used it once, and almmost killed my fishes.

It seems tt the fish have difficulty breathing once I add in a little bit of this. But the water do really clear up until like crystal.

Try changing yr water, and when adding new water, try not to disturb the substrate.

If water flow too fast, attached it to a rain bar, and place rain bar at the bottom of the tank, with the holes pointing slightly upward. This way the water surface will not be agitated, so the precious CO2 will not run out as quickly.

My 2cents[]
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!

Feedback Score
    the rain bar is good
    the problem with canister is power head is so far from inlet to be really strong enough to catch drifting particles - I have seen particles drift by my inlet hose without being "sucked" in (sigh)

In addition to my Eheim, i add one more power head and channel to a unused CO2 diffuser stuffed with filter wool. many advantages leh:-

1. i can move the power head anywhere I want until all particles is cleaned up
    2. I can see the filter wool turning brown with dirt then remove to clean
    3. very easy to clean diffuser n filter wool so very cheap

Alternative is to attach Mr cleaner bag to the power head (fit just nicely)if bag is old can use baby mittens (someone advise) - never try b4.
    Finally, can't really expect planted tank to be crystal clear all the time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wat about Diatom Filters? Supposedly can even filter out ich/white spot parasite. As the filter can filtered out very small particles, it always clogged up though so need regular maintenance.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Applied the Filter Aid and the water turns cloudy. Waited for about 24 hrs already and the water still cloudy. I think the best method is still using better filter, media..etc. Humm...may buy the 2028 if possible.
    Welcome to visit my-blog