Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

1 canister filter, 2 tanks

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    is it possible or advisable to run one canister filter for 2 tanks..??
    say, a 2028 to run on two 2 ft tanks?? anyone tried it or running this set up?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Posible, you need the overflow system. Advisable? no idea

Basically 2 tank top and bottom, the filter inlet conected to botom tank and the outlet to the top tank and then connect the top and bottom tank with overflow system

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Theoradically it's possible if the 2 tanks are off the same size, positioned at the same level with the same water level in both tanks and the length of both the inlet and outlet pipes are of the same length. This is to ensure that the speed at which the inflow and outflow is the same for both tanks to prevent the possiblilty of one tank having more water than the other over a period of time. Maybe you can give it a go and update us on the outcome.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
    Theoradically it's possible if the 2 tanks are off the same size, positioned at the same level with the same water level in both tanks and the length of both the inlet and outlet pipes are of the same length.
    I would strongly advise against that. It is virtually impossible, the slightest difference in the flow between the two tanks would result in one tank overflowing. As Shadow said, it can be done but only using an an overflow system of sorts.
    Cheers
    — Freddy —

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with ankank. Besides, 1 canister filter with 2 tanks = more frequent filter cleaning.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
    Theoradically it's possible if the 2 tanks are off the same size, positioned at the same level with the same water level in both tanks and the length of both the inlet and outlet pipes are of the same length. This is to ensure that the speed at which the inflow and outflow is the same for both tanks to prevent the possiblilty of one tank having more water than the other over a period of time. Maybe you can give it a go and update us on the outcome.
    I would not try this method. No matter how well you calculate everything from the hose length and such, the flow exiting from a single canister will not be equally divided when it comes to a tee or even the volume of water being sucked from 2 inlet into a canister filter will not be equal. All it takes for Murphy to succeed is that a small object might block 1 of the inlet and both tank will lose out as 1 will have lesser water and the other will overflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Posible, you need the overflow system. Advisable? no idea

Basically 2 tank top and bottom, the filter inlet conected to botom tank and the outlet to the top tank and then connect the top and bottom tank with overflow system
    This is a better solution but a very important point to take note of is that if there is a power failure, would the bottom tank be able to take some additionel water volume from the overflow tubes? To overcome this, the bottom tank should have a percentage lesser volume of water compared to the top tank.

Hope this helps!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is not impossible! You guys forgot about last Aquarama? Eheim operated their new PRO3 2080 on 2 tanks (not connected in anyway)

Sure you can do it... but unlike eheim booth, there have reps station there... Are you there 24-7 to look after!
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by limsteel View Post
    This is not impossible!
    That's why I said "virtually impossible". You can try it and might even manage to get it running. Yet, the question is not if it will fail, it's when it will fail. Because it sure as hell will, sooner or later (and I'm guessing: sooner).

I for one very much prefer a setup I can leave unwatched for, let's say, a few hours to occasionally leave my house. Also, I have my fish tank sitting in my living room whose parquet floor I kinda grew fond of being dry.
    Cheers
    — Freddy —

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Agreed with ankank, too risky. Overflow system is the safest, you can easily DIY using PVC pipe.