Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Arowana Variety and Prices

Feedback Score

Arowana Variety and Prices

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    In the course of searching for a replacement Arowana for my colleague, I have learned that there are many varieties of Aros out there and I'm confused about their names. They are also priced differently.

Can someone share with me what are the main varieties out there in the market; the names that are officially recognized. For example, Red Tail Gold, Chilli Red, Super Red, Violet Fusion. What's the diff?

Can someone sort them in terms of price value assuming they are of the same size?

Is it true that a red aro is more costly than a plain golden one of the same size?

Which strain is the most expensive?

Is it difficult to get aros with red eyes? Which strain would have them?

I saw a blue scaled Aro at the back of C328, it looks very nice. Is that very rare? I wonder how much that one cost.

I should have posted this in arofanatics but I do not have a valid login in that forum. Moreover, seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable aro lovers here. Care to enlighten me?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Ok, i dont know much abt arowanas, but..

"Is it difficult to get aros with red eyes? Which strain would have them?quot;

An arowana with red eyes would be albino..i have never seen or heard of them, but they would be VERY VERY expensive i imagine, and very rare.
    Mez[]
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Hi Mez

I'm not talking about the pupil being red but the rim of the eye being red. Something like discus or LH. There is one at C328 that has red rimed eye. Very fierce looking. However, most Aros nowadays don't seems to have that feature. Makes me wonder if its original features are wearing out due to too much incaptive breeding. Like Discus.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Not sure...ask an aro expert or ask someone who knows something abt them..maybe pm lsz..
    Sorry i couldn't be of much help..
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Stream,

I'm not an aro expert in the sense in picking up good quality ones, just to share some basics.

Typically there are 4 types of asian arowanas, all are classified as endangered species by CITIES. They are
    green, red tail gold or rtg, crossback and red. The cheapest is the green aro next the rtg then on the high end the reds and most expensive the crossbacks.

Names like violets fusion, sumber red, chilli red, super reds are all referring to the red aros. Most of them are trade names. Eg violets fusion is a name given by qianhu to their better quality reds. The prices for a good red can be much higher then a lousy red.

The crossback is a "gold" aro and its more expensive than the reds due to the smaller supply.

And also there are hybrids like red x greens which are not as good as the pure strains.

You are right there are many aros experts at arofanatics.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    www.arofanatics.com will have the info.

Maybe I can help with the prices a little

From cheapest to most expensive asian arowanas

For young fish,

1) Green $80-100
    2) 1.5 Grade Red and Grade 2 reds $150-250
    3) Red Tail Golden $350-498 (includes the Panda gold, which is a cross breed between a pure Red Tail Golden and a cross back)
    4) No. 1 Reds $1200-2000 ( includes Super Red, Chilli Red, Blood Red, Violet Fusion)
    5) Cross back Golden $1500-3000 I think.

The blue scale aro at C328 is actually a thin framed golden crossback.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Frankly i think that gold Xback prices can go up to 5000+++ or so but if the buyer is really into aros and willing to pay that amount then i got nothing to say lah in fact i 2 am a hell of an aro lover. they were one of the first if not the first type of fish i ever truly liked. check out those well-known places which sell aros like qian hu or places like that or go ard and see see lor cos diff places sell at diff prices but all pretty much the same the diff in price maybe $10-$20+. Or go to the place called aro-pacific in yio chu kang just behind serangoon stadium there the prices are a bit on the high side.
    To The World You May Be 1 Person
    But To 1 Person You May Be The World!
    Pacific_Flame