Country
    China

DIY Cooling Fans

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am a newbie to planted tanks.

I have tried doing a DIY cooling fan for my 2ft newly planted tanks and it really does the work.

I have 4 X 12V DC fan driven by a AC/DC converter. Fan cost $3 each and AC/DC converter cost $6.50 and all are from Sim Lim Twr.

It has brought down my tank temp from 31'c to 28'c when i switch on my 2 X 36W 6500k PL lights.

Just to share with you guys.

Try this link : http://fish.petfrd.com/index.php
    Just a Newbie ...

Feedback Score
    I used to run on 4 DC fans but now reduced to just 2 after some experimenting. Running too many fans from a single DC socket plug lead to overheating - my first DC socket plug melted as a result of overheating. The noise level also reduced noticeably plus less spinning blades to cut straying fingers. Finally, for me, the end result remains the same, i.e. temperature maintains at 28 to 29.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Plantbie,

IMO, if you are only running a 2ft tank, 04 x DC fan is an overkill.
    Just a single DC 12V fan will do the job. Of course, unless you are telling me the size of the DC fan is as big as a CPU cooler.

If you are having a DC fan the size of approx 5x5 cm (Those you can salvage from a PC power supply), it is enough to bring down the tank temperature by 2 deg. Like mine, it drops from 30-31 to 27-28 deg.

With more fan, your water evaporation is faster and you will have to top up the water more often.

Anyway, I think more fan != cooler temperature (for 2ft tank).

Just my opinium.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    hi roy, so u took out 2 fan(1 fan blowing in & 1 fan sucking air out)?

Hi Ninjafly, how big is yr tank which u used onli 1 DC gfan to bring down temp. of 2 deg cel?

Can i use 2 DC fan(8x8cm, those fr PC PSU) for my 1.5ft tank with 2 x 18watt pl? W/o fan, the temp is 30(when lights off) 32 deg cel(when on light for 10hrs)

thks

Hello,

I thought i share my experience on DIY fan.

I recently connect up 2 12V PC fan to an adapter and after one day, the adapter conk off, tho it still provide voltage (from test pen test) but it doesn't drive the fan anymore.

At first thought its fan spoilt, but then i use a spare PC Power supply to drive the fan, the fan comes back to life.

So what i suspect is the adapter got overloaded. The adpater only churn out 300mA at 12V however 1 fan already asking for 250mA. By connecting 2 fan to the adapter, I'm actually overloading the adapter and thus burnt it.

So pls consider the ratings when connecting these fan to a single adapter.

I think using a PC Power supply is better, get the older version one which can on/off using a switch.

my 2cts

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    so does anyone else encounter problem(adapter melted...etc) when connected 2 12volt DC fans to a single adapter?

thks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    my adapter red light konk off after i connect 2 dc fans in 24hr running ...on my 2ft tank.. But temp goes down to 27 deg.WATER also have to top u daily..Mayb will just use one for next time..

Feedback Score
    Used to run on a 3 blow, 1 suck and 2 blow, 2 suck configuration. 3 blow, 1 suck configuration was noisier and not noticeably cooler. After my first DC adapter melted from running 4 fans, I changed to "higher spec" adapter. Pesently, the 2 fans blow and trapped air in the tank cover vents out of openings at rear corners. Please note that temperature before fan installation was 34 to 35 - now it's 28 to 29.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 8/20/2002 9:10:42 AM

So what i suspect is the adapter got overloaded. The adpater only churn out 300mA at 12V however 1 fan already asking for 250mA. By connecting 2 fan to the adapter, I'm actually overloading the adapter and thus burnt it.

So pls consider the ratings when connecting these fan to a single adapter.

----------------
    I agree on getting a "higher spec" AC/DC adapter with high ampere rating. The small white ones with adjustable voltage you find at hardware stores aren't up to task. There are some big ones rated up to 1000mA and these should be consider when re-building your d-i-y fans. I would, on the other hand, convert my DC fans to AC fans when my present ones fail.

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Get the Vanson brand of AC/DC convertor. It is light in weight and dont really gets hot, but its rather abit expensive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do u guy ON yr fan 24Hrs?

Or lights ON Fan ON?

I manage to bring down the temp from 32 to 28 deg cel with a single fan in my 1.5ft tank with 24hrs ON.

If lights OFF fan OFF = 30 deg cel

thks

hi,

I dunno abt others, but mine is 2ft and only on it during the day. At night, its off.

Temperature won't vary much, prob abt 1 degree. If at night theres wind or raining, then prob will go down to 27. If not, most of the time stays at 28.

hope that helps.