Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Starting guppies..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Introductory : Im sec 3 this year, living in bukit batok st 24.. which is located at bukit batok east ave 3.. This is my first time into guppy breeding..

I currently have a 13litre tank by FivePlan and im looking forward to breeding a pure strain, but have not much knowledge about it.. the only LFS that i know which is well known would be C328 if im not wrong, which is not that far from my house..

Most importanly, i was wondering if the people here that have breed and possible still breeding guppies could guide me along...(and hopefully he live in the west area so i can learn more) I need to know hw many tanks i can have or recommended to have.. i have limited space at home, limited budget and possibly not much time due to school.. but i will try to spend my time on my guppies when i have them...

also, any advice for first tanks? like how to cycle and stuff.. i cant seem to comprehend the infomation i get.. well, at least not all..

Also, i need to know what accesories i need to have in my tank.. whether filter necessary or not etc etc...

Just realised that nearby my house have 2 aquarium shops that have been named in the forum..
    One Stop Aquarium and the Buddies Fish Corner at Bukit Batok East 3 which is where i live...

Also, what are the accessories i should get? anyone who also rears guppies can post what food they feed, their thermometre and ph indicator ? was wondering which i should get and another is the price..

next is regarding the guppies.. the buddy fish corner will be selling albinos when they come at around wednesday.. should i get the guppies from them or should i go to C328 to get them?

where is sungei tengah btw? i saw in the list of lfs that its in the west.. but where is sungei tengah near to?
    Last edited by Justikanz; 27th Feb 2007 at 13:06. Reason: Please avoid SMS shortforms. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi arashi13,

Welcome to AQ. I am sure there are hobbyists here who have bred guppies, but it would depend if they are serious breeders of show guppies. Some just bred them for fun, unlike serious breeders who are breeding to improve the show quality of the guppies.

If you just want to keep guppies and breed them for fun, a 13 ltr tank would suffice. Apart from that, filtration in the form of box or sponge filter and an air pump can get you started.

Generally, guppies will need good, clean water and can tolerate pH ranging from 6 to 8 (7.0 is ideal). Water changing of about 20-30% can be done weekly but I have known of others who perform 10% of water changes daily.

Most importantly, allow your tank to cycle between 2 to 3 weeks before introducing your fishes. I take it that you have read some information on the cycling process, but not sure which part is it that you don't understand. Do post the specific questions on cycling, if need to, so that they can be addressed to the point rather on a generic wide scale.

If you are planning on serious breeding to improve certain characteristics of your guppies, then you will definitely need a lot more commitment, in terms of equipment, financially, time and knowledge. You will probably need up to 8 to 10 tanks for a specific strain and deeper understanding on the genetics in order to enhance your strain.

You will need to read a lot more and information like these can be found in guppy specific forums or guppy related website. I would suggest for you to join the Singapore Guppy Club if you are genuinely interested, to get you started. Their website is, http://www.sgguppy.com/. I also find this website particularly useful, http://www.guppylabs.info/ and I am sure you will too.

Lastly, Sungei Tengah is not an LFS but the area where the farms are located, e.g. Qian Hu, Farmart.

Hope you will enjoy your guppy keeping foray!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm, you're from bukit batok!.. which part of bukit batok are you living at? what LFS do you frequent?

well, i do not think that i will be breeding to seriously to the extent to improve certain characteristics but more of, not rearing guppies and letting it live together and just spawn fries, but probably selective guppies that looks nice and breeding them together...

alot of people also recommend sponge filter, but i do not have any idea what that is.. do you have any pics and what a sponge filter mainly does, and how to use it?

water changing is one of the things im most feared of.. i do not know how to add the water in.. the PH and temperature.. im afraid that if the difference in PH, and other factors... it might affect the water somehow which in turns affects the guppies...

cycling the tank.. i do not know if a filter is really necessary for the helpful bacterias to convert ammonia to nitrate if what i understand is correct..

anyway, how old are you and which LFS do you go? probably i could learn a bit from you..
    Last edited by Justikanz; 27th Feb 2007 at 18:46. Reason: 'u' is a letter, not a word...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    arashi,

I will have to kindly remind you to spell properly if you would like to get involved in the discussions here. Posts with such bad spelling disappear very quickly. We would like to make AQ a decent forum with readable information that all can reference for the future.

Thank you for your kind understanding and co-operation.

Cheers,

p.s. You should go to http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34 for more information. The folks there are just as friendly.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I got red albino gupies in my planted tank, but I'm not serious breeder. They are quite hardy and easy to breed. Just feed them alots and they will breed. Never pay attention on the water pH and temp, I'm more concentrate on the plant health.

sponge filter is the filter that run using air buble, most LFS use it, you can check them out. It is just a sponge with pipe in the middle. you can even DIY your self

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can i see a picture of your guppies and the tank and its surroundings?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sure only have old photo, tank curently under construction (major rescape). Can't see the plants though.
    Last edited by Shadow; 27th May 2007 at 11:03.